CPS3 : Hanging with error 13,23, etc...

PCB problems and fixes
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

CPS3 : Hanging with error 13,23, etc...

Post by penrhos »

I sold a CPS3 setup on eBay and I'd soak tested it for ages - but after an evenings playing SF3:3S the buyer opened a "Item not as described" dispute saying when he tried changing games all he got was repeated error 13/23 etc...

It's running Darksoft's multi-bios on a modified JoJo cart with the V4 of the ISO, I'd checked all games loaded from CD and then re-loaded SF3:3S before shipping it out. The only error I used to get was the CD-Rom drive was a little slow to spin-up so you'd get the "Drive not ready" message but it'd disappear after a few seconds (when the drive had spun-up).

He's sent it back and I'm currently swapping the simms one at a time into a known good setup to test them.

Anything else I can do to check it out???

I'm already down £50 (cost to post it out and return it) and don't want to send it back out unless I'm 100% sure it's OK.
Last edited by penrhos on April 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
penrhos
Panel Beater

Re: CPS3 : Hanging with error 13,23, etc...

Post by penrhos »

So 13/23 - points to a problem with the simm in slot-3.

I've pulled the simms out one by one and put them in simm slot 8, erased, written and checksum'd them all and only one seems to have any problems (oddly it's not the one that was in slot-3).

The 64Mb ones in bank 1 & 2 are Fujitsu.
The 128Mb ones in banks 3,5,6 are Fujitsu.
The 128Mb one in bank 4 is Intel/Hitachi.

I can erase them all and write any file from the CD onto them, but when I do a write-test the Intel chip fails occasionally. I've not got around to testing the motherboard yet.

I'm going to fire up the hot air rework station and reflow the ram chip on this stick to see if the weird behavior goes away....Any other suggestions?
Last edited by penrhos on April 16th, 2019, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Flash memory is consumable, unfortunately. You might have to replace the chip(s) on the simm.
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

leonardoliveira wrote: April 16th, 2019, 4:13 pm Flash memory is consumable, unfortunately. You might have to replace the chip(s) on the simm.
That's what I'm beginning to think. I've had the PCB and the simms on heavy soak testing and everything else is rock-solid. What I don't understand is:-

I can "Erase" the simm and it seems to erase OK (the checksum is always the same).
I can program the simm once it's been erased and it seems to program OK (the checksum is always the same).
If I perform a "write test" or try and program the simm when it's not been manually erased it fails.
It was working perfectly before posting it out.

I think some flux, clamping the chips in place and a quick run over the legs with a hot-air rework gun might be the next option (in case of a dry-joint or a cracked contact on a leg).
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Hello,
Penros it was error 11 ,13 and 23 not error 13 ;) sometimes the message please insert a valid cd-rom.
Sorry for the inconvenience I don’t really knows the eBay rules but penros you are an honest guy and if the one of simms was not faulty it was a perfect transaction. ;)unfortunately sometimes **** happened...
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Ikaru wrote: April 16th, 2019, 10:34 pm Hello,
Penros it was error 11 ,13 and 23 not error 13 ;) sometimes the message please insert a valid cd-rom.
Sorry for the inconvenience I don’t really knows the eBay rules but penros you are an honest guy and if the one of simms was not faulty it was a perfect transaction. ;)unfortunately sometimes **** happened...
I was only able to replicate errors 13 & 23 when I got the PCB back and re-seated everything. this would normally point to simm #3 being at fault, what I don't understand is the intel simm was in slot #4 and that seems to be the one with the issues - all the other simms I've been able to erase & re-program multiple times without any issues at all.

The "Insert cd-rom" message is usually caused by the cd-rom drive not spinning up quickly enough and goes away after a few seconds (when the drive has spun-up) that's why I run a SCSI2SD on my CPS3 setup.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Strange :( 13 and 23 it’s simms 3 faulty and the only one with a problem is simms 4 ..
I saw error 11 maybye two times ..
penrhos
Panel Beater

Post by penrhos »

Ikaru wrote: April 17th, 2019, 9:21 am Strange :( 13 and 23 it’s simms 3 faulty and the only one with a problem is simms 4 ..
I saw error 11 maybye two times ..
Apparently the second digit doesn't always indicate the bank - which was news to me I always thought the second number was the slot in error. The only way to test the simms is to manually erase & reprogram them one at a time until you find the one that doesn't work properly.

The error messages are immaterial now - the PCB works fine if I don't use the intel/sharp simm so I think we can be 99% sure that was the issue, just need to source a replacement.
Ikaru

Post by Ikaru »

Yes I tried the same and I remember i sent you a pic.impossible to rewrite simms 4 But with no spare impossible to confirm and test.
I’m really happy that you found the problem .
Is it difficult to find another simms?