DDP Bee Storm broken

PCB problems and fixes
Furtin72
eBay: aldewalde

DDP Bee Storm broken

Post by Furtin72 »

So I bought a DDP Bee Storm from ebay. The artset was described as „very good condition“ the cardridge „like new“. Artset has moldstains on the back, which wasnt mentioned and stinks like mold. Cartridge boots with several errors, please check the images. :(

All three images are separate restarts of my really great working Egret II.

Dont know what to do about it. Seller refuses to refund anything, I can send the whole package back on my own costs (which I really hate). Volume potentiometer is broken ‚ could that cause these kind of problems...? Is it maybe only the PGM motherboard?
80E14538-788F-48F6-A594-D73D100FDAB0.jpeg
82C178FB-732A-4DB3-A59D-0B47A9F0F14B.jpeg
20FEFD29-1C19-4B45-8A55-0BA8B02D1174.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: DDP Bee Storm broken

Post by DaveyD »

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridge edge? It's a quick and easy thing to try, and can often be the cause of problems like that
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

No, just the Jamma connector. Will try again tomorrow, since its bedtime around here and the volume potentiometer puts out full volume...
But thanks anyway, DaveyD!
JoeAwesome
eBay: joeawesome
Initials: JOE

Post by JoeAwesome »

Yep, clean the edge, maybe reseat the socketed ROM, and try again.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Looks like motherboard problems, a long time ago i had a menu showing similar errors and was motherboard related.

The first picture you show could be "dirty contacts" as other members suggested. Neo Geo MVS sometimes reproduce similar glitches and you just need to clean the contacts (Cart and MOBO) and they are good to go.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Go through the normal checks, cleaning cart edge and slot, check voltages too. It takes a couple of minutes and it’s likely the problem most times.

I’m guessing it’s from yaton (even if that’s not who you bought it from, it’s likely where it came from originally) mine has mold on the pop too :problem:

The next most obvious issue is the battery on the PGM motherboard leaking and corroding traces. It should be very obvious if that’s the issue or one of them.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Wow guys, thanks for all your help!
I took it apart, cleaned all the contacts, wiggled the ROMs and fiddled with the faulty poti - and now it works! :awe:

**** moldstains on the back of pop remain but on the other hand I now have a complete DDP II set.
And the game is awesome, imho.

P.S.: bought a few volume potentiometers from a guy on the UKVAC forum who had the same issues with his PGM board. When they arrive, I‘ll solder the new potentiometer in and I‘ll have a normal working motherboard then... 8-)
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

Furtin72 wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 9:38 am And the game is awesome, imho.
Yes it is mate, highly underrated game due to the fact that it wasn't developed by CAVE.

It's not on par with CAVE's finest, but a fun and accessible game for sure. Also, the Bomb/Energy methods offer a different aproach to the game which is awesome.
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

Yes and the way I see it, its by far not as refined as any Cave STG - but its a heck lot of fun to play (especially with the grazing)! :lol:

Edit: plus, its a bit cheesy with the bold typo and the copy/paste assets from DDP.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Another fan here :thumbup:
Furtin72

Post by Furtin72 »

zak wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 3:48 pm Another fan here :thumbup:
Awesome! Was such a long time disregarded by me due to the fact that its not a Cave STG and was often looked down upon... There are so few infos on it, despite the IGS website still going strong (in all its engrish glory) and of course HCG101... :P