Raiden Fighters 2 - Doesn't boot (and it's undumped...)

PCB problems and fixes
Nebula
eBay: nebula087
Initials: POL

Raiden Fighters 2 - Doesn't boot (and it's undumped...)

Post by Nebula »

Hi guys!

I have a Raiden Fighters 2 game cartridge along with a new version of Seibu SPI motherboard (SXX2D v2.1) that works perfectly a while ago.

I have this board for years and it was stored long time ago. Recently I plug it into my cab and sadly saw that the boards won't boot and some static black and white squares appears on the screen.

Knowing the problems that this systems tends to have (checksum error, region error etc..) and this one seems different, first idea that came to my mind was to dump eproms in the cartridge to ensure that all of them are OK. And bingo... one Eprom reads "FF" in all of its registers, more specifically, rom 1 of program data, so it is

I though: "OK, I only need to replace it with a new one with data from the proper mame romset", so next thing was to identify the romset of this cartridge with the help of romident and using every single romset from mame. Here is when I **** on my pants and rant in everything.... :evil:

This romset is still not available in mame...

romset is made up of
-4 program eproms
-1 for sound
-3 for text layer
-(and other smd roms for graphics that I didn't dump)

First program rom labeled "SEIBU 1" is the fail one. But there is something strange with the rest of the roms:

-Sound rom ("SEIBU 8") is the same for all sets.
-3 text layer roms (labeled "SEIBU 5", "SEIBU 6" and "SEIBU 7") are exactly the same as: rdft2 (europe), rdft2u (usa set 1), rdft2u (usa set 2), rdft2j (japan set 1), rdft2jc (japan set 4), rdft2a (asia set 1)
-3 other program roms (labeled "SEIBU 2", "SEIBU 3" and "SEIBU 4") are the same as: rdft2jb (japan set 3)

There is no other romset with the same combination of program/text roms.

Then I also realized that every romset has an unique program 1 rom. None of them are the same between sets.

I tried to burn some program 1 rom from other romset but obiously it boots with checksum error:

At this point, I am really sad because this romset is undumped and I have this game long time ago without knowing that, and it cannot be repaired until it will be eventually added to mame or someone dumps it. I am pretty sure that this game is from asia region according to the previous owner, so probably it would be "rdft2ab" (as rdft2aa already exists in mame)

One workaround to repair the game could be reburn 3 other program eproms with data from "rdft2a" to avoid errors from region check and checksum check, but I would like to maintain it as original and add it this unique set to mame.

So I make a call to everyone who has this magnific game to check if someone has this undumped version and can help me (and everyone else adding it to mame) providing the contents of that eprom.

Thanks in advance !