Why is my Pang3 C-Board modded like this?

PCB problems and fixes
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Why is my Pang3 C-Board modded like this?

Post by keropi »

Hiya!

I recently got a working PANG3 CPS-1 board, A-board is a 12mhz one that looks fine with no weirdness going on, B-board is the expected Mitchel one but C-Board looks like this:

I don't know much about CPS-1 but this looks like a C-Board from another game modded so that it has no battery? Some legs of PPU2 are modded and there is a cut on the top side.
Most likely this C-board is from another game but what's the deal? Anyone knows?

Thanks! 8-)
keropi
Please Continue...

Re: Why is my Pang3 C-Board modded like this?

Post by keropi »

gonna answer my question most likely, I found this page: https://www.arcadefraidi.com/repairs/th ... s1-capcom/
and it seems this is the mod so that you can run decrypted roms. On the B-Board the 2 roms on positions 1 and 7 where soldered masked roms, rom on position11 was soldered on the board as well but the rest were socketed (5,6,16 and 17)
So it seems either someone did the mod and burned decrypted eproms (couldn't find anything on pang3) or most likely the C-board is not the original one that came with the game and was modded so it could work.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It looks like the mod to run decrypted games.

However, Pang doesn't need one, so the C board has been borrowed from some other board.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

Thanks for the confirmation. Since it works and it was in great condition with an awesome price I can't complain :)
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

That mod is not to run decrypted games. It's to make the B-21 chip operate on battery-less mode (As a B-01 chip)

It just happens that modified games target B-01 PPU because that's what a B-21 works as when in battery-less mode.

I believe PANG originally uses B-17 PPU so your board has patched P ROMS.