Any way to save High Scores on NAOMI?

PCB problems and fixes
gozaimas
eBay: yodamiffy
Initials: GOZ

Any way to save High Scores on NAOMI?

Post by gozaimas »

Is there any solution for saving scores in NAOMI games?

I own some carts, and the battery only seems to save game settings, not scores, on these.

Now I'm using a NetDIMM set-up, with Piforce Tools to send the games across, so I was wondering if there was any way to get the scores saved using this?

Seems nuts that operators would have lost their leaderboards at the end of each day?!
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Any way to save High Scores on NAOMI?

Post by geotrig »

dimm battery should cover that ,but the problem is it only holds the information for as long as the dimm battery has a charge for , not a problem for op running them everyday ,alot are probably dead batteries at this stage.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

oh balls. So even if I open up the DIMM and replace the battery, the cab will thereafter need to be run daily in order to withhold the charge? Surely there must be a better way?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The DIMM battery only holds the game in the DIMM memory so you save a minute of loading, nothing else.

Scores are saved on the motherboard. The CR2032 coin cell under the cart keeps them saved. However, if you the change the game, it will clear the memory. So if you want your scores saved you need to dedicate the motherboard to that game.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

The dim only holds the game for like 48-72 hrs or something like that ,then the game gets re written.... So I'm kinda right :shifty: :awe: :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

If you don't have any battery connected to it, the DIMM board will lose the game the instant it's turned off.

With a good working battery the board will hold the game upto a week.
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

nem wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 3:24 pm Scores are saved on the motherboard. The CR2032 coin cell under the cart keeps them saved.
This is not the case on my motherboard, which I've owned for years now. Only the game's settings are saved by the CR2032; the scores are lost each time the machine is powered down. Do you mind me asking what set up you use if your mobo saves scores in this way?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It depends on the game. Unfortunately, there are games that don't save the high score list.

What games have you tried?
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

Ah OK. Like most people these days, I imagine, I mainly want to save scores on the shmups. I've tried both Zero Gunner 2 and Giga Wing (both cart and netboot), but no dice.

Is there a list anywhere off the Naomi games that save scores? Google turns up nothing.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I don't think there is one.

My ZG2 cart is busted, so unfortunately I can't try that one and I can't remember if it saves scores or not.
gozaimas

Post by gozaimas »

Ah well -- thanks for replying, bud!