Ghosts n Goblins outputs no sound on Astro City

PCB problems and fixes
vasilas432
eBay: katzurak

Ghosts n Goblins outputs no sound on Astro City

Post by vasilas432 »

A few days ago I sold my Ghosts n Goblins board to madaxl77 from Italy. Before he buys it, he requested a video of the board working so I made him a quick one with my phone. Everything was working perfectly including sound.

When madaxl77 received the board he sent me immediately a mail about his complain that the board is silent. He told me he has an Astro city but he is also a beginner in arcade and he has no knowledge what to do in order to have sound. Mostly though he insisted that the board is faulty and if we arranged a partial refund he would keep it. Along with the board I gave him for free a Capcom to Jamma adaptor and I told him how to use it the right side. I googled about "Ghosts n Goblins no sound" and found some post on the web about -5v. My supergun provides definately -5v but what about Astro City. Can -5v be the cause for his trouble?
I think it is very unlikely for the board to become faulty while changing hands.

Thanks in advance for your help
caius
eBay: private
Initials: FAB

Re: Ghosts n Goblins outputs no sound on Astro City

Post by caius »

Astro City PSU is notorious to have verry weak -5V and sometimes also absent at all.I can say some weeks ago a collector sent me some PCBs from Seibu (Raiden, Blood Bros and Toki, they all need -5V for proper sound operation, this voltage is need for OP-AMPs powered by dual supply) they told me all lacked of sound.Well, when I tested them sound was present in all of them !So I told him to check his setup and he confimed me he had weak -5V in his Astro City, he could measure only -2V.He replaced the PSU and sound came back.
So I ask to 'madaxl77' to check the PSU of his Astro City before issuing sentences or asking refunds.And if he is not able to do it due inexperience (like it seems) he can ask for local help or send the board for a check to someone else able to deal with arcade boards.Collecting arcade boards is not for kids but foe mature people!

P.S.
He can also try another board that needs -5V like Double Dragon
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

He told me he has an Astro city but he is also a beginner in arcades
he insisted that the board is faulty and if we arranged a partial refund he would keep it.
Sounds like a scammer and/or someone to avoid.
So I ask to 'madaxl77' to check the PSU of his Astro City before issuing sentences or asking refunds.
This. And if he says he doesn't have a multimeter tell him go get one.
snk80
Please Continue...
eBay: mdc78to

Post by snk80 »

i have a new astro. i think is the same of astro.
when i bought it i didn t know but -5volt circuit was broken
i bpught ghost n goblins as first game and no problems.

i notice that -5volt circuit was broken when i bought rainbow island
there were no sound ( taito )

so i can be sure ghost n goblins doesn t need -5 volt
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

madaxl77 proceeded and claimed through Paypal 100 euros in order to keep the board. I hope he tries to fix his system soon and finds out that the board is working like a champ, because Paypal has now restricted my account :(
He may then close the case and set me free...
This was my selling thread
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=37382
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Damn, that sucks man.. paypal is way too easy for buyers when it comes to these kind of things. I have an NVS4000 PSU in my New Astro City and this one doesn't supply -5v at all.

If you're a beginner at this hobby you should seek for help, rather than immediately claim a refund for something you're not even sure about. I'm with yosai on this one, sounds like a scammer.
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

I have proposed him to send me back the board for a full refund. And I have prposed that from start but the first reaction was "Refund me first and I ship second".
Everybody know that it is not how it works. Then he procceds with the 100 euros claim...What can I say other than the board is healthy and could refund him the proper way and have it sold to someone else...
snk80
Please Continue...
eBay: mdc78to

Post by snk80 »

vasilas432 wrote:madaxl77 proceeded and claimed through Paypal 100 euros in order to keep the board. I hope he tries to fix his system soon and finds out that the board is working like a champ, because Paypal has now restricted my account :(
He may then close the case and set me free...
This was my selling thread
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=37382
i bought from you a game and with me you were available and fast for shipping.. good seller

but repeat... i 'm not expert.. i have done electronic school so i have a little experience..

psu is ? power unit system ?i if so , repeat my ghost n goblins , original , doesn't need -5 volt to work with sound... on new astro city there are 3 circuits +5 -5 +12 volt . and -5 volt was broken... i replace capacitor ;)

just rainbow island cause is taito and work so. then i notice that i had problems on -5 volt circuit

i hope all will goes in right way ;)
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

People on the net, including us, have different opinions about this board's -5v and Astro city's -5v line. Maybe all cases exist in this world. In any case my buyer shall return the board to me and have a full refund.
madaxl77
Please Continue...
eBay: madaxl
Initials: Raf

Post by madaxl77 »

If you want to publish the emails we exchanged. In your opinion the problem was 1) my connector that was not standard jamma ma mvs. I told you it was impossible, because I have a new city astro, and the connector is standard jamma. 2) you consulted your friend caius, who told you that the problem was mine because I have a bad psu. Then the. Problem according to you was the 12v, today I am - 5. And I avoid writing anything else, because you treated me as a donkey, that you are an expert and I do not understand anything.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

Dude offered a full refund, just send the board back like a normal person would.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

First of all you just need to fix your system because the board works flawlessly as you got my video before buying.
Secondly you need to follow the rules and send the board that you don't want back, instead for blackmailing for 100 euros ;)

Simple as that
madaxl77
Please Continue...

Post by madaxl77 »

Don't worry.... Be happy. Everything will be fine ;) ;)
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

rugdoctor wrote:Dude offered a full refund, just send the board back like a normal person would.
What he said.
caius
eBay: private
Initials: FAB

Post by caius »

First of all I'm not a friend of 'vasilas432', I only repair his boards so I've been called by him as absolutely impartial expert.
Then, according to the manyal of Ghost 'n Goblins boaqrd doesn't need -5V :

http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYST ... Capcom.pdf

But this doens't change my mind that the issue is caused by the setup of 'madaxl77' since it happened also to me to sell tested and perfectly working boards to inexperienced people that then claimed that they didn't work.You know, the first thing that they do in this case is to put the responsibility on the seller.I always asked them to try the board in another good known setups and they and they always had to change their minds because the boards were working.

So, before issuing sentences and asking refund, you should be 100% sure that the board is really faulty.This can be achieved only by testing the board in another good known setup.At the same time try to obtain local help from someone else with more experience.Troubleshooting a lack of sound is very easy, you should check few thingss.First check with a multimeter (also donkeys ae able to use it...) if +12V is present and stable.Then check if all ground connections are properly wired on the JAMMA harness.To see if sound amplfier is properly powered simply put your fingers on soldersire of it.You can hear some noise, it's powered otherwise it means +12V is not reaching it.I strongly suggest you to check your setup and fix problems once for all otherwise you will have troubles with a lot of other boards.

Lastly, you can't ask for a partial refund and then keep the board, this is not honest and fair.So, if you don't feel confident and you don't want to do these checks, send the board back to the seller and he will issue a full refund.Simple, isn't it?
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

madaxl77 wrote:If you want to publish the emails we exchanged. In your opinion the problem was 1) my connector that was not standard jamma ma mvs. I told you it was impossible, because I have a new city astro, and the connector is standard jamma. 2) you consulted your friend caius, who told you that the problem was mine because I have a bad psu. Then the. Problem according to you was the 12v, today I am - 5. And I avoid writing anything else, because you treated me as a donkey, that you are an expert and I do not understand anything.
Didn't you admit not having a great deal of knowledge in the first place? No one is calling you a donkey.

You've been offered a full refund, I suggest that you send the board back and take the full refund.

Several people here can vouch for vasilas432, so you will get your money back.

I hope you realise that no one else will want to sell anything to you if you are being difficult?
madaxl77
Please Continue...

Post by madaxl77 »

I follow your suggestion
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

A bit late, but I can vouch for vasilas432 being a good seller and a good person.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've just noticed this thread. madaxl77, please do everything you can to check the problem is not with the cab and if you are confident the board is faulty, send it back. I would suggest putting your Paypal claim on hold. If vasilas432 ends up losing money over a PCB that isn't proven to be faulty, you could be banned from trading here.
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

Just to update this.
I escalated the PayPal case into a claim and I have officially asked the board back through PayPal. There is a time limit the buyer has to post the pcb back with tracking info or else he keeps it forever and no money back. My pcb is 100% working and there is a video showing that just before shipping it. Keeping that in mind madaxl77 may keep it as he loves this game and start troubleshooting his equipment with various ways as stated above from some respectable members and experts in arcade hardware. I haven’t spoken with him for a few days, in fact he stopped talking to me after he opened the PayPal dispute. I am still blocked from PayPal transactions and I am waiting patiently to see how it ends.

It would be wise from his side instead of asking 100 euros to ask for advises. The first think I proposed him was to ask advice from here but he instead opened a thread for a Capcom to Jamma adaptor. I never understood that since the one I included for free was working 100% and it didn’t initially come cheap for me.

Thank you all guys for your interest, help and support.