PCB problems and fixes
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...
eBay: GoenitzNYC
Initials: JAV

Partial Sound from a CPS2 B Board – Street Fighter Zero 2

Post by GoenitzNYC »

Hello,

I have a Street Fighter Zero 2 B Board that plays approximately 1/3 of the Sound Effects and BGM. Please note I have tested the sound/music both in game and via the service menu.

I have done the following to troubleshoot and none has worked:
- Connected it to three different A Boards (USA and Japan Region)
o These A Boards work with other B Boards perfectly
o Properly seated the board with and without the casing, too many times to count
- Adjusted the sound volume, applied the volume all the way down and back up
- Pressed the volume down button upon powering on the boards till the game demo appears
- Removed and re-seated all the EPROMs on the board (3 times)
- Checked every single EPROM with a GQ 4x4 programmer twice
o All read as identical to the MAME ROM set
- Programmed a new set of SFX/BGM EPROMs (11 & 12) replacing the original Capcom EPROMs
- Have set sound to Stereo (Q Sound) to Mono and back within the Service/Test Menu
- Tested RCA jacks on the A board, same only 1/3 of the SFX/BGM plays

Other info:
- Board reads as receiving 5.00v as displayed by my Supergun
- Brand new battery was installed two months ago
- Board is not Phoenixed

I have yet to probe/scope the board with a Multimeter and do not have a clue as to how to do it or even where to start. Any direction or other possible fixes/tips would be great.

Thank you!

GoenitzNYC
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Re: Partial Sound from a CPS2 B Board – Street Fighter Zero 2

Post by NoAffinity »

Try testing/swapping the z80. It's usually socketed, but not always. Test it for power first. If it is socketed or you have means to remove it, and a spare (can pull from another A board), try swapping it. Not likely to be the cause, but if it's socketed, it's an easy enough check. Make sure all PALs on the B board are firmly seated in their sockets. You may have already done this, but I didn't see it specifically mentioned. The rom(s) at socket 1 and 2 are worth checking also (sound program). Often socket 2 is not populated.

Try turning up the power supply if you can, to get 5.1V at the edge connector, or better yet, test at one of the roms on the board, and should be at least 5.0V at the roms. They are okay up to 5.1V, I wouldn't go past that at the roms.

After that, get out a magnifier and start checking for missing components, nicked traces, anything that stands out as being questionable.

Maybe somebody knows better where to focus the attention, in terms of component clusters on the board, but it's often finding that needle in the haystack - either a nicked trace, some weird corrosion at a random chip which is causing an open line, some random component that is missing for some reason.

:edit: outside of the components mentioned above, these would be the other components to focus on:

M5195B - Mitsubishi Electric Corp. M5195B Voltage Detection and System Reset IC (SIP5)
LM833 - National Semiconductor LM833 Dual Audio Operational Amplifier (DIP8)
TDA1543 - Philips TDA1543 Dual 16-bit DAC (DIP8)
NE5532 - Philips NE5532 Internally-compensated Dual Low Noise Operational Amplifier (DIP8)

Possibly try pulling rom 11 and see if you can reproduce the issue, then rom pull rom 12 with rom 11 re-installed, and see if you can reproduce the result. Maybe it's isolated to one of the roms.
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

Try re-burning roms 1&2 instead, as those are the sound ones anyway.
I've known a couple of games that came directly from Capcom with corrupted data on the sound roms, making some sound effects and music disappear (I have a Slammasters II board that only plays music for certain stages and transitions, although I wanna leave that one as it is heh).
No
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

Will be taking action this weekend, will let you know what the outcome is.

Thank you both!

GoenitzNYC
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Usually CPS2 games use two 8 bit EPROMs for sound program and data. Capcom coders keep the Z80 program within the first 64KB boundary of the first EPROM. Even if the EPROM is setup wrong in the board, the Z80 will always see at least it's program. So, there's jumpers on the board which swap the A16 and /OE pins of the EPROMs. (first eight jumpers)

If hypothetically you have two JEDEC type EPROMs plugged (27C1001) and the one of the sockets has it's jumpers set for non JEDEC EPROM (27C1000) the A16 pin will be swapped with /CE and the Z80 will be unable to read the data on the second half of the said EPROM. That will cause the sound driver to command the QSOUND DSP into playing wrong samples from the SOUND ROM.

Also it's possible that the sound data ROMs (sockets 11 and 12) have their jumpers set wrong. That would cause the QSOUND DSP to be unable to find part of the sample data on the ROMs , making it not generate audio for some of the Z80 requested samples playback.

Or finally the PAL fitted at the BGSB3 socket is of the wrong type (that would affect the sound and graphics ROMs banking). If I am not mistaken SFZ2 uses BGSB3-D PAL.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Leonardo - is there a list of the jumper setup for each game, somewhere? This could be a valuable troubleshooting tool.

If one doesn't exist already, and an effort were undertaken to document the jumpers on various boards, what jumpers would need to be documented?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

NoAffinity wrote:Leonardo - is there a list of the jumper setup for each game, somewhere? This could be a valuable troubleshooting tool.

If one doesn't exist already, and an effort were undertaken to document the jumpers on various boards, what jumpers would need to be documented?
Have a look at this.

http://arcade-area.lebonforum.com/t241- ... -originaux (It's in French but you'll get the idea)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

yosai wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:Leonardo - is there a list of the jumper setup for each game, somewhere? This could be a valuable troubleshooting tool.

Have a look at this.

http://arcade-area.lebonforum.com/t241- ... -originaux (It's in French but you'll get the idea)
That's great, thank you yosai!

To confirm, 'on' is shorted and 'off' is open?
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

To quote the site
If there is continuity between the 2 pellets, the jumper is ON.
If there is no continuity, the jumper is OFF.
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

First off - I want to thank you all for your input/help on this.

Last night I programmed two new EPROMs - 01 & 02, verified them and then swapped them out. Still the same 1/3 the SFX and BGM.

The board does have the BGSB3-D PAL chip. I looked at the board Jumpers Leonardo and Yosai posted about yesterday, and they do not match. I then opened an X-Men: COTA I have and they matched perfectly to what was depicted on the French Site.

Afterwards I sent pictures of my Board Jumpers to NoAffinity, he then sent me pictures of his SF Zero 2 Jumpers for comparison. Jumper 8 on mine is different, and I will need to desolder it.

Hopefully this will be the fix. Will post update later today or tomorrow.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

The jumpers are based on what type of chip is fitted on the board, not which game is written on the chips.
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

Thank you Leonardo. I will check the chips once I get home and list them here and also compare them to what NoAffinity has as well.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

leonardoliveira wrote:The jumpers are based on what type of chip is fitted on the board, not which game is written on the chips.
So is any game theoretically compatible with any jumper/bgs-b3x combo, as long as the jumper/bgs-b3x combo are correct for each other?
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

It could also be a partially failed in house conversion.
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

This is definitely a conversion after looking at the Board closely.

I have managed to restore all music after soldering/desoldering jumpers 1-9 testing various combinations, it plays the entire opening without issues and all in game music plays as it should.

But now there is no sound effects after I desoldered jumpers 10-13, before there was about 1/3 or less sound effects prior to all of this work. I see jumpers 10 and 12 have a trace and may have to cut them to test and eventually fix the sound effects. 11 and 13 do not have a trace.

Might any of you know since the BGM now works do I just concentrate on jumpers 10-13 now or will I have to go back and check 1-9 because that needs to be in some sort of combination to get the SFX to work with it.

ROM 11 and 12 have official chips, here is what's printed on them:

SZ2-11M
2P5 AK
9606 Z03

SZ2-12M
2P6 AK
9605 Z00

I apologize if I don't know what I'm talking about, I am new to all of this and learning. Again I appreciate all your assistance on this!
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

Based off the jumpers displayed on the French site and a spreadsheet I found doing searches (both mirror one another) I set the board jumpers exactly.

No luck, it's worse than before. Q Sound logo and Intro BGM plays fine, as soon a I insert a coin the SFX is garbled, then while in game depending what move is performed it's another characters SFX that plays. Also sometimes the stages BGM will stop in the middle of play.

Perhaps the PAL chip needs to be replaced. Will keep at it, But I will be leaving the jumpers as they are set for now.
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

Leonardo,

If I provide the chip types would you be able to tell how to set the jumpers, I completely forgot you stated it depended upon the chip not the game. Realizing this is a conversion the previous owner probably replaced some of the EPROMs with a chip type does not match the jumpers.

GoenitzNYC
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Here's some additional info on the jumpers vs chip types.

http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/CPS2_Epro ... er_details
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

What the jumpers do is swap pins 2 and 24 around.

Attached a picture of the swapped pins.

27C1000 uses /CE on pin2 and A16 on pin 22 (Non JEDEC type)
27C1001 uses /CE on pin24 and A16 on pin 2 (JEDEC type)

I am not 100% sure but I believe the default state for the board is 27C1001 (JEDEC type) for both sockets 1 and 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoenitzNYC
Please Continue...

Post by GoenitzNYC »

The board is fixed! Tested by playing through the entire game, every SFX matched for each character as it should, and inserting a coin doesn't play Adon's Jaguar kick SFX anymore ... LOL

This was definitely a failed conversion.

The following was done:

- All the board jumpers set to defaults as per the three websites, a CPS2 jumper spreadsheet I found online and the pictures NoAffinity sent me of his SFZ2 board. They all matched which is 100% confirmation it should be set that way on my board, this was not the case when I first started all of this.

- As per Leonardo the jumpers are set based on the type of EPROM/ROM chip used. Narrowed it down to the Audio Program not working so it had to be ROM chips 01 & 02.

- The seated chips were from Intel, never seen any Intel chips on a CPS2 board ever. The chips are type D27C010.

- I replaced those with type 27C1001 (from a junk SSF2 board) which were programmed two days ago by me during my troubleshooting.

Thank you all once again for pointing me in the right direction!!!

GoenitzNYC
Last edited by GoenitzNYC on March 5th, 2018, 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.