Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

PCB problems and fixes
Post Reply
User avatar
Spectrexcwk
Posts: 45
Joined: June 8th, 2017, 1:30 am
Location: Norcal :/
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by Spectrexcwk » February 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I replaced my Naomi 1 fan with a:

NF-A4x10 40mm 5v. It works! Though I did have to move rearrange the pins in the connector.

The problem is that I’ve got a thicker 40mm fan on top of a 45mm heatsink. The original screws are too short. Besides, I would only be able to get one hole to line up.

Any ideas on how I can secure the new fan? Perhaps some type of heat resistant glue? Other than leaving it on the ground and letting gravity do the work I’m out of ideas.

Thanks!
Last edited by Spectrexcwk on February 26th, 2018, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yosai
280bpm's too slow
Posts: 3695
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Location: London
eBay: yosai

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by yosai » February 25th, 2018, 1:07 pm

I removed the fan completely from my Naomi, (and CPS2). Probably not the greatest of ideas but I've never had a problem with overhearing.
[+] Spoiler...
Gets about 20 minutes of use per year. :awe:

jimmerd
Posts: 97
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Berkshire, England
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by jimmerd » February 25th, 2018, 3:36 pm

I have this also on my list of jobs to research/do as well.

Would not one of these fan models recommended on the wiki fit strait in?

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Replacing_a_NAOMI_Fan

I recently did a Taito TX2 that has 4 fans and it took ages, about 6 hours including a full clean. :wtf:
"Please contact the local attendant"

User avatar
Spectrexcwk
Posts: 45
Joined: June 8th, 2017, 1:30 am
Location: Norcal :/
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by Spectrexcwk » February 25th, 2018, 6:53 pm

jimmerd wrote:I have this also on my list of jobs to research/do as well.

Would not one of these fan models recommended on the wiki fit strait in?

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Replacing_a_NAOMI_Fan

I recently did a Taito TX2 that has 4 fans and it took ages, about 6 hours including a full clean. :wtf:
I replaced the stock fan with one that’s 10db quieter. I need just need a way to keep this replacement in place.

yosai wrote:I removed the fan completely from my Naomi, (and CPS2). Probably not the greatest of ideas but I've never had a problem with overhearing.
[+] Spoiler...
Gets about 20 minutes of use per year. :awe:
The Naomi won’t boot without the CPU fan. How did you pull this off?

jimmerd
Posts: 97
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Berkshire, England
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by jimmerd » February 25th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Yes, I definitely want to go for less noisy replacements as you say not the stock parts listed on the wiki.

Is the part you used almost silent? how does the noise compare to a stock dreamcast. (by way of a comparison if you have one)

A photo would be cool so we can see what's going on
"Please contact the local attendant"

User avatar
yosai
280bpm's too slow
Posts: 3695
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Location: London
eBay: yosai

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by yosai » February 25th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Spectrexcwk wrote:The Naomi won’t boot without the CPU fan. How did you pull this off?
I didn't read the OP properly. :oops: it was the case fan I removed, the one on the left of this shot.
naomi.jpg

User avatar
Spectrexcwk
Posts: 45
Joined: June 8th, 2017, 1:30 am
Location: Norcal :/
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by Spectrexcwk » February 26th, 2018, 12:28 am

Double post.
Last edited by Spectrexcwk on February 26th, 2018, 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Spectrexcwk
Posts: 45
Joined: June 8th, 2017, 1:30 am
Location: Norcal :/
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by Spectrexcwk » February 26th, 2018, 12:33 am

jimmerd wrote:Yes, I definitely want to go for less noisy replacements as you say not the stock parts listed on the wiki.

Is the part you used almost silent? how does the noise compare to a stock dreamcast. (by way of a comparison if you have one)

A photo would be cool so we can see what's going on
Image

The new fan is very quiet. Now the noisiest component is the sun psu fan :/. I don't have a dreamcast atm, but this is significantly quieter. I've been very impressed with all the noctua fans I've bought recently. I threw some in my noisy pc as well. honestly it seems like I may need to throw in the sun psu if I really want the system to be silent.
yosai wrote:
Spectrexcwk wrote:The Naomi won’t boot without the CPU fan. How did you pull this off?
I didn't read the OP properly. :oops: it was the case fan I removed, the one on the left of this shot.
I did that as well! The case fan seems pointless anyway. I think sega agrees, because it boots without it.

jimmerd
Posts: 97
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Berkshire, England
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by jimmerd » February 26th, 2018, 8:50 pm

You could use an ATX to JVS adapter to replace the SUN PSU. I did this on a Sega Chihiro with a ACE black silent PSU.
No ideas on the keeping the fan in place, perhaps some form of bonding paste?
"Please contact the local attendant"

User avatar
Spectrexcwk
Posts: 45
Joined: June 8th, 2017, 1:30 am
Location: Norcal :/
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by Spectrexcwk » February 27th, 2018, 8:28 am

jimmerd wrote:You could use an ATX to JVS adapter to replace the SUN PSU. I did this on a Sega Chihiro with a ACE black silent PSU.
No ideas on the keeping the fan in place, perhaps some form of bonding paste?
I’ve read conflicting reports about this. My understanding is that some aspect (3v or 5v) isn’t adjustable on an atx psu (it is on the sun). Without adjustment, the voltage is supposedly bad for the life of the board. I’d love a concrete answer to that, but no amount of googling has led to anything other than anecdotal experiences and educated guesses.

In any case I could just replace the psu fan in the sun.

Ya I agree about the paste. I just don’t know what to use that will withstand the heat of being on the heatsink. That’s the last place you want something to melt/burn.

User avatar
invzim
Posts: 474
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
eBay: prrole

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by invzim » February 27th, 2018, 9:08 am

Great work on the Noctua CPU fan!! Been looking for something that works for ages - will definitely pick one up!

ATX works fine, you just need to take a little care with the adapter. Main point is to use two pins/wires on the ATX side for each pin/wire on the JVS side for 3.3V and 5V. For GND there are enough pins on the ATX connector. This is to keep voltage drop to a minimum, especially when using the DIMM as it sucks a lot of power.
atx adapter.JPG
Made this recently as the one I used to have was getting a little crusty. 18 AWG silicone cables work great.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!

User avatar
invzim
Posts: 474
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 5:26 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
eBay: prrole

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by invzim » March 7th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Got the fan today, and did the replacement - works great! It's not a direct fit - but a little glue secured it nicely.

Updated the wiki with some pictures and details:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Replacin ... 2Fheatsink
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!

jimmerd
Posts: 97
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 7:01 pm
Location: Berkshire, England
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Re: Naomi Replacement Fan Mount

Post by jimmerd » March 8th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Thank-You to all those who posted information about the replacement fan. AO rules! 8-)
"Please contact the local attendant"

Post Reply