MGCD

PCB problems and fixes
Blue0524
Please Continue...
eBay: blue0524
Initials: Blu

MGCD

Post by Blue0524 »

I just picked up one of these over the weekend. Do any of you guys have one and have successfully used it in a Sega Astro? Did you make adjustments to an extension harness or use an adapter. Looking for some suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue0524
Please Continue...

Re: MGCD

Post by Blue0524 »

Anyone?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Dave_K. has written about it on his blog, perhaps this will be useful?

http://arcadefever.blogspot.co.uk/2010/ ... art-1.html

Maybe you could send a polite PM if you are really stuck?

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/memberlis ... file&u=133
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

I have one of these, used it in a NAC. What are you looking for exactly, how the controls are hooked up? FrancoB helped me out with this thing by making a jamma passthrough I believe. If you want I can check for you?
Blue0524
Please Continue...

Post by Blue0524 »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:I have one of these, used it in a NAC. What are you looking for exactly, how the controls are hooked up? FrancoB helped me out with this thing by making a jamma passthrough I believe. If you want I can check for you?
That’s would be awesome thank you! I was told to buy a JNX Atlas adapter and that it worked well but he could remember how everything was hooked up.
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

I actually found a great thread on KLOV regarding the pinout of the MGCD.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showth ... p?t=282555

Bottom line, all 7 buttons for P1 and P2 are wired to the edge connector so you'd need to hook up these buttons through for example your kick harness connector.

Also, it needs -5v present.

This is basically all I've done to mine, just checked. As I have buttons 4 and 5 wired to my edge connector inside the cab and only have 6 buttons per player on my panel, I have only hooked up both buttons 6 from the jamma passthrough to my kick connector.

Hope I am making sense? :)
Blue0524
Please Continue...

Post by Blue0524 »

The problem is is that my control panel is the one with 3 buttons and not 6. Would it just be wise to get one with 6 buttons. I have yet to hook up -5v but i will have some time to do it this weekend. Do i NEED to have all of those buttons hooked up?
Blue0524
Please Continue...

Post by Blue0524 »

Rossyra wrote:Dave_K. has written about it on his blog, perhaps this will be useful?

http://arcadefever.blogspot.co.uk/2010/ ... art-1.html

Maybe you could send a polite PM if you are really stuck?

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/memberlis ... file&u=133
Thank you. I went ahead and sent him a message.
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Blue0524 wrote:The problem is is that my control panel is the one with 3 buttons and not 6. Would it just be wise to get one with 6 buttons. I have yet to hook up -5v but i will have some time to do it this weekend. Do i NEED to have all of those buttons hooked up?
Well, depends on the games you'd like to play. The majority will be fine with 3 buttons per player, but if you want to play some of the fighters on the DC, you'll want 6 buttons per player. If you don't, then you're fine for inputs at least. Bare in mind that there are more games which require 4 buttons for A/B/X/Y though.
Blue0524
Please Continue...

Post by Blue0524 »

I’m mainly looking to play the shmups that the DC offers.
kevlo9
Please Continue...

Post by kevlo9 »

Hello.

What is the -5v used for? Controls?

I'm trying to get one of these working in my Astro City cab and everything works correctly except for the controls.

Thanks.
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

No, the -5v does not affect controls. If you have a standard NAC PSU (the low one), it should supply -5v, do you know the model of the PSU you're using? Do you have the C23/C24 connector ports on the MGCD hooked up to the normal P1/P2 ports on the Dreamcast? A pic of your setup would help.
kevlo9
Please Continue...

Post by kevlo9 »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:No, the -5v does not affect controls. If you have a standard NAC PSU (the low one), it should supply -5v, do you know the model of the PSU you're using? Do you have the C23/C24 connector ports on the MGCD hooked up to the normal P1/P2 ports on the Dreamcast? A pic of your setup would help.
Hello.

I have a 400-5198 PSU.

Everything is working (audio/video) minus the controls...currently setup for timed play.

I think I have the dip settings correct (see below and attached image3)...

1st Bank of dip switches
1-8 (all on)

2nd Bank of dip switches
1-2 (off), 3 (on), 4 (off), 5-12 (on)

I purchased a jamma extender to modify so I can keep the harness in my Astro City intact.

I removed pins A27 & A28 and tied them to A1 (GND) and B27 & B28 and tied them B1 (GND)...see attached images 1 & 2.

I can't get the controls to work. Like I mentioned before everything is working fine and I can credit up and see the onscreen display/countdown timer.

Any help is greatly appreciated (as I'm really new to this) or if anyone can make an extender harness that will work with this, please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.