Svc chaos, can anyone fix this :(?

PCB problems and fixes
Hrvat9
eBay: hrvaat

Svc chaos, can anyone fix this :(?

Post by Hrvat9 »

Got it for free but has a Nice boo boo ... it turns on and runs but everything is garbled. Anyone want to attempt to fix this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
candy: Sega New Astro City x2, Sega Versus City (sold)
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Re: Svc chaos, can anyone fix this :(?

Post by Flinnster »

I feel your pain. I have a sunset riders with similar on one of the smd customs.
I've not yet had the balls to soak it in flux and try reflowing the pins.

I would advise not trying to bend them back to shape for prettyness though, just focus on the contact points and making sure they are not shorting with the ones next to them.
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
Spork
Please Continue...

Post by Spork »

It looks like someone already tried to fix it by reflowing, but maybe the picture is weird. It looks like there are solder bridges. The first thing I'd do is look at another pcb picture to see if there are any bridges that are supposed to be there. Then to remove extra solder you can flood it with flux and get it on your iron then get it off the iron onto an iron tip cleaner and repeat until there's no excess.

Then to fix it you could flood with flux and maybe more solder where needed, hold the iron over several pins at a time while you very carefully try straighten the pins with the tip blade of an exacto knife, moving them bit by bit when the solder is molten. But if you have no experience with surface mounts you've probably got little chance of success.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The last sentence there is key, if you don't know what you're doing with surface mount stuff just leave it alone, you'll only make it worse.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

Or grow bigger balls.

I have yet to achieve that ;)
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!