Will Type X games run on the X2

PCB problems and fixes
Ringtail
Please Continue...
Will Type X games run on the X2

Post by Ringtail »

As the topic asks can the Type X2 motherboard run original Type X games and if not is it worth getting a Type X motherboard? :)
People have the right to be stupid, but some abuse that privilege.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Re: Will Type X games run on the X2

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Hi Ringtail,

MY evidence is all pretty much anecdotal, but AFAIK, the games aren't backwards compatible.

I'd really like a Type-X[1] system myself, but prices still seem a little beyond my reach for the moment and a s for the games - still commanding premium rates too.

HTH
Ringtail
Please Continue...

Post by Ringtail »

Thanks for the info mate, makes a few upcoming decisions easier. :)
People have the right to be stupid, but some abuse that privilege.
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

The strange thing is that, as far as I know, no one has tried it. But yes, you mostly read that it won´t work.

Unfortunately, there is no Type-X game (except ´98UM) which would interest me, so I won´t buy one, even though the most are dirt cheap now.

I have a Type-X2, so if someone really needs to know 100% about the compatibility, I could try it out if someone would lend me a Type-X game.
_xizor
Please Continue...

Post by _xizor »

Tried it and it don't work.

Type X, Type X+ and Type X2 games only run on their respective motherboards....

That being said.... they all run well :)
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

What happens when you try to boot a Type-X game in an Type-X2? Error message, or nothing?
_xizor
Please Continue...

Post by _xizor »

Usually she just won't boot.... or the OS gets going and pukes. Either you won't see the bios boot properly or you'll get past the first splash and the screen goes black and the unit power cycles itself.

The essential problem is the same if you tried to take the hard drive out of an old computer and stuck it in a newer one with different parts.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

You could make a Type-X game work on an X2 (to varying degrees of success-- dependant on the game), but you would need to transplant a TX encrypted game image onto an TX2 hard drive. The hard drive contains a Windows XP embedded installation which has been "hard-wired" to the hardware configuration of the platform it was meant for (Type-X, Type-X+, or Type-X2), so a TX hard drive won't boot on a TX2, whereas the game might still run if used on a TX2 hard drive. If you don't want to waste a perfectly good TX2 hard drive for an experiment like this, you could transplant only the TX2 Windows installation onto the TX hard drive, making sure to preserve the original TX launcher, because the launcher is tied to the serial number of the hard drive it runs from.