PCB problems and fixes
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

Buying EEPROMs for board repairs

Post by segasonic91 »

Hi guys

I was wondering what the best place to purchase EEPROMs is for board repairs/desuicide reprogramming etc is? Also, what type of EEPROMs should one be buying? I know there are many types, but what is the most common to pick up fir say, CPS-I/II?

Also, I am looking to buy a Z-80 to repair sound on a CPS-I A board. I cannot find one that matches the speed of the original. If an 8mhz chip is installed, will it screw up the music?

Thanks and sorry for all these n00b questions!

I am about to order a programner/eraser so I can finally start on fixing my suicided CPS-I boards as well as the funky Final Fight board and turning my working Jp FF board (with the language ROMs replaced by world versions) back into a Jp board >_<

I will not touch original ROMs in case suicided boards can be restored back to original state one day.
turntablism

Re: Buying EEPROMs for board repairs

Post by turntablism »

I bought some eproms from buyicnow to burn st-v multibios, mvs multibios and some for regionchange for cave pcbs.
You can check auctions for cheap broken boards and bootleg pcbs. Use them for spare parts. Desolder and collecting parts from old computers and other electronics.
Or just ask people in forums.
http://www.yodel-arcade.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/user/Fanaticcism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

For CPS 1 & 2 you can already restore the proper keys thanks to the arcade hacker group. Info is on their blog http://arcadehacker.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1. As well as the info to restore the correct keys it's also an interesting read.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

I want to make the equipment to restore suicide biards to original states with batteries. So much better that way.

I just won a lot of 10 boards on yahoo, I will be able to use some of the boards for parts. Not interested in marhjong crap.

Main reason I bid was for a King of Dragons board. I was hoping it would go unnoticed and it seems it did. Nit sure if it works or not as everything was sold as not tested/not working. Damn CRAPCOM and those batteries!
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

I've bought stacks of EPROMs from ic-china on eBay with no issues.

http://stores.ebay.com/IC-China
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I buy mine from Aliexpress. Just punch the chip number in search and sort by lowest price. They can take forever to arrive though.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

Heh, postage from China is extremely painful :D

Thank you for tye ebay link, I think I bought my programned MEGA-CD BIOS chips from that seller. I will try Aliexpress as well. Probably cheaper without the "ebay tax".
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

I usually just get mine off eBay. Look for The cheapest option. Never had any new chips that didn t work. If you can't find an exact match for the part number, pull the data sheet and determine the speed of the original. When cross referencing part numbers, make sure the replacement is as fast or faster than the original. I.e. if the original is rated for 120ns, 90ns will work.

On the z80, get same speed. Z80a's are interchangeable with z80s, and in fact on cps1 boards you will notice z80a printed on the board bit the actual chip is a z80. That's why they are a common failure.
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

hey @segasonic91

I noticed you were in the Gold Coast. It's worth joining AussieArcade if you haven't already. If you're ever in need of anything local without the extra postage, you could always post in the wanted area there to see if anyone has what you need locally.

A couple of weeks ago I sold a full set of Street Fighter Zero 2 CPS2 roms (which included phoenix edition program roms) for $30 to someone on there.

Out of interest, what is the audio issue experienced on your CPS1 SF board? If it's no audio at all, its worth checking the Amp chip as well

I had no audio on my Hyper Fighting and had a faulty amp chip (one with the heatsink on it - the chip had burst out and cracked). Replaced the amp chip (ha13001) with a new one and fixed it. apparently common
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

mrjamma wrote: I had no audio on my Hyper Fighting and had a faulty amp chip (one with the heatsink on it - the chip had burst out and cracked). Replaced the amp chip (ha13001) with a new one and fixed it. apparently common
Good advice. I have had to replace the amp chip on a HF and WW board. Unfortunately, while the z80 and the amp chip are the most likely culprit, finding a fix to CPS1 audio issues can sometimes be evasive. Below is a good walk-through which will fix probably 90% of cps1 boards with audio issues. Sadly, I have 1 WW board that I've gone all the way through that guide, and still haven't solved audio that works for about 5-10 minutes and then craps out. :cry: Not to scare you off, just warning you to be prepared that it isn't always a simple part-swap-solution.

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/CPS1_Repair_Logs (scroll down to "Troubleshooting CPS 1 audio problems")
Last edited by NoAffinity on November 29th, 2017, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segasonic91
Please Continue...

Post by segasonic91 »

Ahhh, bugger about the sound priblems :mad:

The priblem is that the board has very low sound which is barely audible when the board is as high as it can go. Thank you both for tge advice!

I am actually a member of Aussie Arcade, but I found the restrictive nature of the site quite annoying. Not being able to look at the sale section for instance. There were other parts of the site I could not access as well.
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

Segasonic - probably just need to get the post count up id say

Noaffinity - great link! Yeah I agree, PCB repairs can get real complicated real fast haha. I was fortunate my amp chip had blown out with a crack in it, so was an obvious repair :)
I have a champion edition board as well. At one point it had garbled graphics. I swapped bits from the Hyper Fighting board in process of elimination and ended up being the top C board. Upon closer inspection, the chip on that top c board had a couple of very small broken legs on it. I can see why people move to Raspberry Pi's for these reasons. I still love my original boards for the time being.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

mrjamma wrote: Noaffinity - great link! Yeah I agree, PCB repairs can get real complicated real fast haha. I was fortunate my amp chip had blown out with a crack in it, so was an obvious repair :)
I have a champion edition board as well. At one point it had garbled graphics. I swapped bits from the Hyper Fighting board in process of elimination and ended up being the top C board. Upon closer inspection, the chip on that top c board had a couple of very small broken legs on it. I can see why people move to Raspberry Pi's for these reasons. I still love my original boards for the time being.
That's a lucky C board fault...assming it's repairable. Many of these C board customs are going faulty internally and are effectively toast at that point. I've got a HF and a CE board, and only 1 working C board between them. :mad:
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

I have boxes of used EPROMs, so if you're after anything in particular feel free to PM me & I'll see if I have what you need.
I'm in Auckland, so postage shouldn't be too expensive to you.

John
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.