Final Fight A board Sound Issue

PCB problems and fixes
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

Final Fight A board Sound Issue

Post by segasonic91 »

I received another FF board today. This time it is a Jp board, except some stupid arcade place has replaced 4 ROMs to make it English (world version I believe). It was given to me described as dead, with just a couole of red puxels appearing on the screen. I figured this was a connection issue so the first thing I did when I got it was take it apart and clean the A/B/C contacts.

This partially did the job. I now had a game that booted with graphic corruption and very, very low sound. I tried it again tonight and kept fiddling with the board and the graphics cleared up! But the sound is still almost non-existent and just plays random samples over and over again. I think the music is playing but it is so low I can barely hear it.

I have not had a chance to swap A boards on this one yet, but it seems to me it could be a minor problem. The low sound suggests sound caps to me as it reminds me of the PCE DUO and its cap related volume problems. Could this be correct or could it be a bad sound ROM? Perhaps one that was burnt to replace the Jp ROMs?

Thanks!
Last edited by segasonic91 on November 3rd, 2017, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

Re: Another Final Fight, another problem board

Post by segasonic91 »

Yup, another A board problem, I took the B/C boards from this FF and put them on the half screen FF's A board and it works perfectly. Now I just need to fix the sound issue on this original A board in the hope that I can have 2 fully working FF boards.

Are the caps for the sound the ones around where the volume control and big 2200uf cap is?
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Re: Final Fight A board Sound Issue

Post by Sunder »

It always is on every board.
Rule of thumb is if you see a bunch of capacitors next to a big heat sink and pot, that's the sound board.
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Re: Final Fight A board Sound Issue

Post by Sunder »

Can you post a picture of the board though?
Maybe I can help identify any other type of nastiness.