NAOMI 2 fans

PCB problems and fixes
Mokum
Please Continue...
eBay: noizer2k3
Initials: MKM

NAOMI 2 fans

Post by Mokum »

I've browsed quite some threads so far but I'm still unsure about a couple of matters, so please bear with me and try to lend a hand ;)

Are these the fans to replace?

Or is it this one?

Or all of them?

I've purchased this one on Amazon and was wondering if it will replace the larger one just fine (the original one has 2 wires while this one has 3 but I've read somewhere that a fellow AO user purchased it so I did the same):

Are these good to replace the smaller ones? I've found a link to them here on AO but sides seem to be 0,5 cm shorter (4 vs. 4,5 of the original ones) and heigth seems to be 1 cm lower (1 vs. 2, if I've taken measures correctly in both cases).

This being said, should I order a couple of these fans? If not, can you point me to the right one?
Thanks.
alienmame wrote:Christ on a bike man
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Re: NAOMI 2 fans

Post by leonardoliveira »

The third wire is used on PCs as a monitoring signal so the computer can tell how fast the fan is spinning (or if it is stuck not spinning).

The PC fans are 12v. Make sure you read the sticker on the naomi fans to check if they're 5v or 12v fans.
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

leonardoliveira wrote:The third wire is used on PCs as a monitoring signal so the computer can tell how fast the fan is spinning (or if it is stuck not spinning).
Yes, I've read that.
Case fan (the bigger one) has only 2 wires though (see my 2nd picture), do you think I can swap it with the 3 wires one I've purchased?
The PC fans are 12v. Make sure you read the sticker on the naomi fans to check if they're 5v or 12v fans.
Case fan is 12v, CPU ones are 5v (see the picture on the Wiki). I'm just unsure about the size of the latter: the one linked on the Wiki is 44x44x7 but it costs a crapload of money (20+ euros). I can get cheaper ones but they are 40x40x10 and I can't figure out whether they will fit or not...
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

The 12v fans are cheaper exactly because PCs use them (sell a lot). Unfortunately the GPU fans seem to have speed monitoring in them.

You may safely ignore the sensor pin on the 3 pin fan for the casing.
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

leonardoliveira wrote:You may safely ignore the sensor pin on the 3 pin fan for the casing.
Actually, the 3 wires case fan doesn't work. I'll just return it as the base probably works with a 2 wires fan only.
I could ask for a swap but I've just discovered that the noise isn't caused by the fan itself (which is rather silent to be honest), it's the dirt and the fact that it trembles while in place that make it noisy.
I've cleaned it and tried to hold it firmly and it seems to be more silent now.
As for the PSU fans, I didn't find them to be so noisy to change them so I'll just stick with them.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Mokum wrote:Actually, the 3 wires case fan doesn't work. I'll just return it as the base probably works with a 2 wires fan only.
You sure you wired it up correctly? There's no reason why a 3 pin fan wouldn't work. One wire is for current, one is for ground and one is for the tachometer signal. You just have to which is which.

Since yours has a standard PC motherboard connector on it, the pinout for it is:

Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

You're saying the wires might be on the wrong place and I'd rewire the fan to make it work?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Mokum wrote:You're saying the wires might be on the wrong place and I'd rewire the fan to make it work?
Does the connector for the new fan fit the connector on the Naomi? If it does and it doesn't work, then yes, you will need to swap the pins.
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

nem wrote:
Mokum wrote:You're saying the wires might be on the wrong place and I'd rewire the fan to make it work?
Does the connector for the new fan fit the connector on the Naomi? If it does and it doesn't work, then yes, you will need to swap the pins.
Perfect, didn't know this, thanks a lot.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

What fan do you use to replace the case fan? Mine is extremely noisy.
Mokum
Please Continue...

Post by Mokum »

radiantsvgun wrote:What fan do you use to replace the case fan? Mine is extremely noisy.
I didn't replace them, just cleaned up a bit.
You could try these I think.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Mokum wrote:
radiantsvgun wrote:What fan do you use to replace the case fan? Mine is extremely noisy.
I didn't replace them, just cleaned up a bit.
You could try these I think.
I should be able to source these stateside, or one that's similar. Thank you!