Help with a bootleg Cadillac and Dinossaurs

PCB problems and fixes
fernandogd
Please Continue...
eBay: fernandogd1

Help with a bootleg Cadillac and Dinossaurs

Post by fernandogd »

Good Morning,

Friends a few days ago got a Bootleg board of cadillacs and Dinossaurs, my knowledge of bootleg boards is little, I was always a fan of cps2 boards, but before the classic I could not resist repairing.

Well, let's get down to business, she's out of sound, Does anyone know which ci code is missing?

Also she has problems with the image, could someone tell me where to start to fix it? the game runs normally, problem are the sprites and colors!

Friends this is my board:

This is the game running:

Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Help with a bootleg Cadillac and Dinossaurs

Post by Asayuki »

The audio could be as easy to fix as checking the big caps, +12V at the power amp and then backtracking to the audio chips. Your photos are too little to try and see which stuff is in there, but you will probably find an OKI6295 DAC, an YM2151 and a Z80. Check if those are emitting sound at all, then turn to the Z80 and its adressing space (ROM, RAM, adressing, etc.).
About the colors, from the photos it looks like you have an adressing, reading or decoding issue aroud the graphics roms (C0-A-1, C0-A-2, C0-B-1 and C0-B-2). The guilty part might be one of those ROMs or the big square chip near them which probably does their handling. Hopefully it does not involve the TTL logic around, which is likely a complete custom redesign and would therefore need a lengthy investigation.

Funny side note: the only Cadillacs and Dinosaurs bootleg MAME knows about has a different ROM formatting (8 graphics ROMs instead of 4, and 4 CPU ROMs instead of 2). If I do see correctly on your photos, then you probably bought an undumped bootleg. If this is the case, you might want to dump the ROMs and submit your work to the MAME team before trying to fix the board and risk damaging it further in the process.

I hope this helps.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

'Punisher' and 'Cadillac and Dinosaurs' bootlegs use a OKI M6295 DAC and a PIC to play the music. There's no Z80 or YM2151 on this board because the PIC subsystem simulates the QSOUND hardware these games require.

Due to that hacky approach the sound quality is atrocious on these boards. :roll:
atro
eBay: atro.pt
Initials: RB

Post by atro »

leonardoliveira wrote:Due to that hacky approach the sound quality is atrocious on these boards. :roll:
Not only that, it's like a 4-bar loop during the entire stage. And you are absolutely wrong ( :awe: ) - the sound sampling rate is not atrocious... It's absolutelly HORRENDOUS :awe:
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I had a punisher one of these, the music was randomly placed and all mashed up, with the same short loops.
cloudstrifer
Please Continue...
eBay: fabricifurtad_0
Initials: ZAK

Post by cloudstrifer »

Sorry about this offtopic comment.

Leonardo, please, can you send a PM to me?
I want to talk with you.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

leonardoliveira wrote:'Punisher' and 'Cadillac and Dinosaurs' bootlegs use a OKI M6295 DAC and a PIC to play the music. There's no Z80 or YM2151 on this board because the PIC subsystem simulates the QSOUND hardware these games require.
If that's the case, then one more reason to have it dumped. :) Maybe the PIC is even unprotected, who knows...
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

MAME has them: dinopic dinopic2 punipic punipic2 punipic3
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

leonardoliveira wrote:MAME has them: dinopic dinopic2 punipic punipic2 punipic3
Whooops! Right, I was looking at cps1.cpp instead of fcrash.cpp. Sorry. :shifty:
Yet, as far as I can see in fcrash.cpp both dinopic and dinopic2 are sets with 4 code roms and 8 gfx roms. And in both cases the pic dump is marked as bad. :)
fernandogd
Please Continue...

Post by fernandogd »

Dear friends,

I would like to thank everyone for their help! I did not answer before because the forum did not notify me, thank you very much for the reference of the ci of audio, I will buy it! In relation to the image, I go by link with photos of better quality and resolution, what have of doubts or better photos I shot around here, thank you again! and we will work together, lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qiBvq589A4Qc09sP2
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

That M6295 IC looks pretty ugly to me (soldering). Maybe that one is the sound issue?
fernandogd
Please Continue...

Post by fernandogd »

I think the sound amplifier is missing.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

fernandogd wrote:I think the sound amplifier is missing.
Good catch. It was in a socket (!!). :wtf:
fernandogd
Please Continue...

Post by fernandogd »

[quote]Good catch. It was in a socket (!!). :wtf:[/quote

it was he who wanted to know the reference. Did the larger aplacle pictures help? Need anything else to help with the image?

Obs: welding and dessolding these components of metaled hole boards is very bad kkkkkk any tips?