NAOMI 2 with GPU problem?

PCB problems and fixes
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo
Initials: SDF

NAOMI 2 with GPU problem?

Post by Shadolf »

I got a NAOMI 2 with Net-Dimm I bought from pianela, today, but it seems to have a defektive GPU :( .
This is what I get when I boot:

The fans are also very loud.
I removed all the dust, but that doen´t change anything.
The secound screen shows an error massage, but I expect this is because I have nothing plugged in exept the Net-Dimm.
Seems to be like the GPU failure of the NAOMI 2 in this thread here:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=34990
Can this problem be solved or is the NAOMI gone?
Shadolf

Re: NAOMI 2 with GPU problem?

Post by Shadolf »

I tested it in 15khz mode and opened the test menu and got this:

DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

If it was genuinely ok when the seller had it (and you haven't been sold a dud unit?), i would guess the damage could have been caused during delivery. It is a common problem with Naomi2 boards. There is a thread here about it:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=31277
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

DaveyD wrote:If it was genuinely ok when the seller had it (and you haven't been sold a dud unit?), i would guess the damage could have been caused during delivery. It is a common problem with Naomi2 boards. There is a thread here about it:

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=31277
I don´t really think he sent me a faulty unit...
Do you think the damage mentioned in that thread could be the same, as the problems my unit has is not "not booting" or a black boot screen.
And is the NAOMI 2 so sensitive, that even putting in some new fans or something could cause the board to failure?
In that case, would it be better to get a NAOMI 1 istead (No Initial D :( )?
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

The fans in a Naomi2 are brutally loud normally. I've changed them and my Naomi2 still works fine.
Contact pianela and he will sort any issues, I have delt with him I'm the past and he is a very reasonable guy.
LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda »

I know the issue here.. Becasue I actually had a working NAOMI 2 and then broke it EXACTLY like this. In my case I dropped it.

NAOMI 2 / 1 GPUs are BGA sockets and they are really fragile after this many years. Most likley it's been dropped or knocked in transit. In my case it was GPU2 that de socketed a little so I could still play NAOMI 1 games (as it just turns off GPU2) AND i could get it to play NAOMI 2 games by pressing down on the heat sink and turning it on..... That was rather helpful when diagnosing the problem.

As for noisy fans.... they are HORRIBLE on the Naomi but I found the worst offender was the case fan as it's not damped and rattles the heck out of the slot it's in (Not screwed down). Can be fixed by adding a damping material to the socket it slots in to Bluetack works for a bit, hot glue works verywell BUT it's a bit perminant....
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

LegoYoda wrote:I know the issue here.. Becasue I actually had a working NAOMI 2 and then broke it EXACTLY like this. In my case I dropped it.

NAOMI 2 / 1 GPUs are BGA sockets and they are really fragile after this many years. Most likley it's been dropped or knocked in transit. In my case it was GPU2 that de socketed a little so I could still play NAOMI 1 games (as it just turns off GPU2) AND i could get it to play NAOMI 2 games by pressing down on the heat sink and turning it on..... That was rather helpful when diagnosing the problem.

As for noisy fans.... they are HORRIBLE on the Naomi but I found the worst offender was the case fan as it's not damped and rattles the heck out of the slot it's in (Not screwed down). Can be fixed by adding a damping material to the socket it slots in to Bluetack works for a bit, hot glue works verywell BUT it's a bit perminant....
Do you think something like a reball, as it is done with xbox360 consoles, can solve those problems?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Reball helps if the GPU didn't get ripped off the board. If it rips sadly it need to be replaced.
TylerDurden67
Please Continue...

Post by TylerDurden67 »

LegoYoda wrote:I know the issue here.. Becasue I actually had a working NAOMI 2 and then broke it EXACTLY like this. In my case I dropped it.

you're totally wrong my friend
bga sockets issues is just an legend

man,your naomi 2 has just one,two at last bad graphics rams. change it and it will works like a new one.
to know which one is it,just do an ram test(it will takes time since your naomi isnt running at its full speed)
just note which one is bad.if the test freeze,and got something like icxx good,you know that the next one is bad)

trust me,i've done many of them to know i'm talking about

here is an repair log i've done,explaining somes stuffs about naomi repai

have fun !

After having repaired a lot of Naomi, I share with you the most frequent problems and how to repair it:

General:

N1 or N2
- Does not exceed 5.1V, the buffer chips do not support more, then even if it is less than $1, better to avoid changing by pure luck! Rams aren't supporting more voltage too.
- If a fan is not running (Naomi checked rotating using the 3rd wire), it does not boot for safety. otherwise that kind of stuff can append

- The [url='http: //www.conrad.fr/ce/fr/Search.html?search=EECS0HD104H']super-condo 0.1f EECS0HD104H[/url] (known by the nickname "c'te **** ") located in C29.Can be found on Mouser or other website of course.
If naomi does not boot, changing it can help (even a lot! 4 naomi failing, 3 have booted just by changing it!).
His nickname comes from the fact that it tends to be leaks.
On N2 is less problematic (but do not take the problem lightly has, leaks of electrolyzed wreak havoc) on N1, the stream that flows goes under BIOS EPROM and EEPROM as Altera, cutting tracks.
Risk of non boot in the end, and if it starts luckily, there may be a BAD test IC29 (it is not defaulting, you just do what I quoted).

So desoldering, cleaning, redo the tracks.

A small scheme if the tracks are down (or check them)

EEPROM (IC31) -> Altera (IC30)
Pine 1 -> pin 12
pin 2 -> 1 pin
3 pin -> pin 37
4 pin -> 4 pin
pin 5 -> GND
6 pin -> unused
pin 7 -> + 5V
pin 8 -> + 5V

Family Photo (left to right the C29 "c'te ****")

Naomi 1:

Black screen

several solutions:
-Bios Corrupt or not present
-Fixed CPU had more particularly to the BGA (rare as on the N1)
-supercap (a change or which sank)
-GPU Fan not working

Black screen but with sound
- RAMDAC HS (IC41)

Naomi 2:

Black screen
-Bios Corrupt or not present
-Problems CPU had more particularly to the BGA (extremely rare.changing GPU rams can make itboot)
-supercap (to change or leaked.Less worries than N1, not too many components around)
-GPU Fans not working
- 1 or 2 Mains RAM (IC106 and IC107) is / are dead (s)

has the Common Naomi 1 and 2:

-error 03: the one, it is well
normally the IC31 contains the serial number of board.If it cant be read, error 03.
therefore check as before for the super cap.
Otherwise, another trick: reprogram the BIOS! (I had the case with on a pretty old export BIOS)

-This kind of graphical glitche

and when doing RAM Test,except somes others glitches you got all rams GOOD

Try Changing IC16 (Graphical RAM)

- This one

Simply do a RAM test and the bad one will appears

- this glitch

Just investigate the filter board,specialy the vga connector.

I / O Board
Not detected, malfunctionning, blah

-recurrent, it is ALWAYS the IC02 which is HS (the big black ugly stuff all over support).
So we find on the net, but must reprogram the ...
sells or otherwise gzipuk andy geezer

- somes buttons are pressed.

its just one or somes octoisolators PS2801.
change it by using this pinout.Check between pin depending of your error and all octoisolator.at a moment,it will "beep" and that's this one which have to be changed.

From Andy Geezer
Digital Inputs (60pin AMP RA connector)

01 (+5V)
02 (+5V)
03 (+5V)
04 (+5V)
05 (+5V)
06 (+5V)
07 (+5V)
08 (+5V)
09 (GND)
10 (GND)
11 (GND)
12 (GND)
13 (GND)
14 (GND)
15 (GND)
16 NC
17 (1P Start)
18 (2P Start)
19 (1P Right)
20 (2P Right)
21 (1P Left)
22 (2P Left)
23 (1P Up)
24 (2P Up)
25 (1P Down)
26 (2P Down)
27 (1P SW1)
28 (2P SW1)
29 (1P SW2)
30 (2P SW2)
31 (1P SW3)
32 (2P SW3)
33 (1P SW4)
34 (2P SW4)
35 (1P SW5)
36 (2P SW5)
37 (1P SW6)
38 (2P SW6)
39 (1P SW7)
40 (2P SW7)
41 (1P Service)
42 (2P Service)
43 (Test Sw)
44 (Tilt Sw)
45 (Coin SW1)
46 (Coin SW2)
47 NC
48 NC
49 (Coin Meter 1)
50 (Coin Meter 2)
51 (Output 1)
52 (Output 2)
53 (Output 3)
54 (Output 4)
55 (Output 5)
56 (Output 6)
57 (+12V)
58 (+12V)
59 (+12V)
60 (+12V)

That's all for now.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Good stuff. That needs to be put in the wiki!

(oh, and I have two Naomis that don't output video. I'll check IC41 :awe:)
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

The picture of the ripped GPU is particularly important. That happens because the heatsink+fan assembly is heavy and is not attached to anything but the GPU. If the board is subjected to strong G force the inertia will cause the heatsink to rip the GPU core from it's bottom as it can be seen on the picture. I looked for that picture but I could not find it. :roll:
TylerDurden67
Please Continue...

Post by TylerDurden67 »

Glad if it could help you!

Btw, shadolf,I see that you live in South Germany. If you can't find someone to repair it,you can come visit me,with somes beers of course :D i live just in front of Europa park,in the French border
LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda »

Most interesting. In my case the RAM is passing all tests... and I can still get it to work when pressing on the GPU block (held down.. working and full speed, not held down...... checkerboard and slow). Perhaps time to revisit the board (I still have it). Although I did drop it so I know how I broke it. :) just not necessarily what i broke!
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
Sanctus
Please Continue...
eBay: gamecubedealer

Post by Sanctus »

A new 2021 user, I bought a naomi universal cabinet with a naomi 2 system, i saw it working on the seller, i had it working today at my home. I left it working and when i came after a few hours, i saw the image freezed (on Virtua Striker). I turned off and on... i never had it working, any image or sound anymore. I dismounted it and the fans are working, i can take some close photos for you to see. I hope this can be repaired. Im from Portugal, any advice?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Could be the PSU too.
Thundaar
Please Continue...
eBay: NuKernel
Initials: 1up

Post by Thundaar »

Hi everyone! I have some questions regarding a Naomi2 repair. When Tyler mentions IC02 as the main culprit of Net DIMM failures, does that require a de-solder/solder circuit replacement? Or is it a socketed IC?. Does the NetDIMM use same 315-6188 part on the Naomi2 motherboard?

Would you be able to tell if this is irreparable damage to the motherboard? Do you think the Altera FPGA Chip may be damaged? Or just the 315-6188 to the left of it? Would a BIOS write a serial number to the 315-6188, or do I need to manually write it with an EEPROM? Forgive my Noob-ness, as this is a dream project, and I'm learning as I go about it.