Neo-Geo MV-2F and Taito EgretII

PCB problems and fixes
Dhampird
Neo-Geo MV-2F and Taito EgretII

Post by Dhampird »

Hello, i´m wondering if a 2 slots base Neo-Geo MV-2F can be conected directly (safe) to an Egret II Jamma, i found a lot of diferences between Jamma Egret II pinout and MVS MV-2F pinout:

MV-2F_______________________ JAMMA EGRET2

E5 (EMPTY)----------------------------E5 -5V
7H KEY---------------------------------7H (EMPTY)
J (COIN COUNTER2)------------------J (EMPTY)
9 COIN LOCK OUT1-------------------9 (EMPTY)
K COIN LOCK OUT2-------------------K (EMPTY)
10 SPEAKER+ (R)---------------------10 SPEAKER+
L SPEAKER+ (L)-----------------------L SPEAKER-
11 AUDIO+ MONO--------------------11 (EMPTY)
M TEST SWITCH---------------------M (EMPTY)
15 COIN SWITCH3-------------------15 TEST
S COIN SWITCH4---------------------S (EMPTY)
16 COIN SWITCH1-------------------16 COIN
T COIN SWITCH2--------------------T (EMPTY)
25 PLAYER1 PUSH4------------------25 PLAYER1 SPARE1
C PLAYER2 PUSH4-------------------C PLAYER2 SPARE1
26 SELECT UP------------------------26 1P SPARE2
D SELECT DOWN---------------------D 2P SPARE2

Will be strictly necesary need use a MVS to Jamma adpter on Egret2 or i can conect the base neo geo without adapter?
hnns
Please Continue...
Initials: HNS

Re: Neo-Geo MV-2F and Taito EgretII

Post by hnns »

Adapter is needed for 2-, 4- and 6-slot mainboards. The 1-Slot mainboards are jamma, they do not need an Adapter.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

On standard JAMMA you wire the *single supported* speaker straight to the pins on the JAMMA connector. On MVS pinout, they re-purposed the return pin for the speaker for the second speaker, that way they can use a power amplifier design which uses the cab wiring GND wiring as return wire for the speakers. Putting a MVS board on a cab wired on the standard JAMMA way could cause you to have no sound or even damage the power amp IC on the board. Same can be said at putting a standard JAMMA board in a cab wired for stereo MVS.

Early 1slot MVS boards have a selection switch for mono/stereo and in the mono position they are compliant with the JAMMA specs regarding the speaker wiring. Later MVS boards have no stereo option and so behave like a early board with the switch on mono position.

As mentioned before multi slot boards have no selection switch (very likely due to their sandwich design or in the case of MV2F the top metal cover) and you either change the cab wiring or get an adapter.

The other differences from MVS to JAMMA are not harmful (they are related to buttons) and at most may cause you some frustration with the inputs.
Dhampird

Post by Dhampird »

Hello, thanks for replies, i spent some time studying the pinouts, i made a diagram i think is correct: