Naomi 2 Issue

PCB problems and fixes
classiccor83
eBay: luckiestdcalive
Initials: COR

Naomi 2 Issue

Post by classiccor83 »

Hello,

To those that might have read I recently had a Naomi 2 board die on me, so I purchased another unit from a member here and 1st thing I did due to recommendation was to remove the "supercap" which does look like it was about to "go". Well plugged my Naomi 2 in to my cabinet with netboot setup and all works fine, loaded up Initial D 3 1st time and went to get a coffee. When I came back it was caught in a loop on the attract sequence, with a blank screen but 1 sec loop of audio repeating, the 1p start button light was lit and the raspberry pi screen was fading in and out in time with the looping. So powered it all down and tried again, but booted up ID2 instead, game loaded fine, played for about 45mins to an hour and thought nothing of it.

Now a couple of days later I played it again, loaded up ID2 played for a while, then left it to load up the attract sequence as I once again went for a coffee, came back and once again the "issue" reared it's ugly head. Display went blank, repeated audio loop, the fans on the Naomi 2 went considerably lower as if in a low power state and the raspberry pi screen was fading in and out.

Since my last Naomi 2 died I was using a Naomi 1 board and played many games, from gun games (Confidential Mission), Crazy Taxi, Rival School, SFZ3 and left them running for ages and had no problems at all, so I doubt it's a problem with my cabinet, which is a Upright Driver Cab, Club Kart.
So, any idea's or things I can check? I'll add a little video of the problem but it didn't come out too good unfortunately.

Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Naomi 2 Issue

Post by Asayuki »

According to your story, it only happens when you go get a coffee while your Naomi is loading.
I would say either you should stop drinking coffee or you should have a closer look at your power supply, your power harness, connectors, etc. ;)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.