Cruis'n USA - Really messed up problem.

PCB problems and fixes
billyC
Please Continue...

Cruis'n USA - Really messed up problem.

Post by billyC »

Hey guys.
Been playing with a Cruis'n USA cabinet for a little over a year now... and am just completely frustrated with it at this point.

I've replaced every piece of wiring, the power supply... everything. I've also checked all the wires, and checked the PCB(s) and everything again, checks out.

All the startup tests show no problems now, all the chips are good... but... now, here's the problem and I can't figure it out.

I get to the "wheel calibration" menu, center the wheel and am instructed to hit Enter. Well... nothing happens. Like the enter button doesn't work.

Oh.... and yes, it's a new switch and the continuity has also been checked.

Basically... I can't get past the screen and it's driving me nuts. I've put a lot of time into restoring the cabinet, and all the new parts... I just can't figure out why I can't get past that screen.

So, has anyone heard of any issues like this? Or have any ideas?

I'm so happy I got into cabinets, being an old school arcade gamer. But man... it can be quite frustrating. Haha.

Cheers.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Cruis'n USA - Really messed up problem.

Post by Asayuki »

Sorry for questioning your report, but just to start somewhere: how did you rule all PCBs out?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
billyC
Please Continue...

Post by billyC »

Hey. No need for sorry, I'm the one asking for help. Haha.

So... it has been a process, from no boot, finally all the way up to the calibrate wheel stage. Anyhow, after replacing all the chips, and having them "finally" pass the initial startup test when you turn the machine on, I thought I was golden... up until... well, the "enter" button issue I'm having.

So, I did manage to check for continuity from the JAMMA harness, all along the various traces to the other end of the board. I also checked the individual chips by taking a reading off the corner pins on all the chips. I then, checked all the wiring... and then replaced it all... just to be sure. I also checked the continuity of the switch itself. Everything seems fine. ( Haha. I've put a lot of time into this cabinet. )

To be honest... I have no clue what the problem is. That's kind of why I was hoping someone had a similar problem with this particular game.

Of course, I can't check what's actually "on" the chips. But, could they pass the start-up tests if the data was corrupted somehow?

It's all so irritating over such a small thing. A wheel test. Haha.

* To be stalled because the game is not registering a hit of the "enter" button is frustrating. Haha.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

billyC wrote:Anyhow, after replacing all the chips, and having them "finally" pass the initial startup test
Wow, now replacing all of them must have been quite expensive. There's at least 100 chips on board! I do understand your frustration.
billyC wrote:So, I did manage to check for continuity from the JAMMA harness, all along the various traces to the other end of the board. I also checked the individual chips by taking a reading off the corner pins on all the chips. I then, checked all the wiring... and then replaced it all... just to be sure. I also checked the continuity of the switch itself. Everything seems fine. ( Haha. I've put a lot of time into this cabinet. )
I am not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by "taking a reading off the corner pins", but I guess you have been double checking if +5V and GND are applied to all chips?
billyC wrote:To be honest... I have no clue what the problem is.
I am baffled as well. I would have tipped on a broken buffer chip at the input, like a 74LS245, or even one of the traces leading from the edge connector to the input buffer itself, but you already replaced all chips and checked all traces therefore that can't be the case. The only missing part that comes to my mind at the moment are all those SMD capacitors and resistors near the Jamma connector. Maybe one of them got missing, loose or broken.
billyC wrote:Of course, I can't check what's actually "on" the chips. But, could they pass the start-up tests if the data was corrupted somehow?
I guess you are referring to the CPU code here? Typically arcade firmware of that era self-checks itself by checksumming. If your board gets as far as the configuration screen I would say it's unlikely that your CPU code is corrupted.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
billyC
Please Continue...

Post by billyC »

Haha. Thanks for all the answers. I'll try and clarify what I can.

When I wrote I replaced all the chips, I meant the eproms. Not the hard wired chips.
As for checking them, yes. I checked the voltage on them. I did this by grounding the black and testing the legs on the chips, the corner legs.

Ya... checking all the traces took forever, and I also ended up buying a new harness and rewiring the whole thing as well.

I did check the capacitors and resistors close to the JAMMA harness. Visually and then with the meter. They seem fine... unless some are missing... but looking at your picture you posted, well... looks like my board.

I'm just... frustrated.

When I first actually got it running and it passed all the tests I was so happy. Then, the wheel thing. I feel like screaming at the board that " The switches " all check out! Why can't I hit the enter button! lol.

Just frustrated. I guess it's time to shelf the board and simply look for a new PCB to install into the game.

I would just hate to do that and find out it was simply something really small....

Oh well. Guess I won't be Cruis'n any time to soon. :)

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

The purpose of a game is to amuse. When it's not amusing anymore than it loses its purpose. I totally agree on setting the board aside for a while.
Next time you feel like tackling it again, I would suggest looking around the Jamma connector for octal buffers (like the 74LS244) and replace them even if you think they are ok. Chances are that the problem is right there.
And since you quite attentively ruled out the harness completely, then the problem must be on the game's PCB. If replacing the octal buffers doesn't fix the issue then you might want a repairer to have a look at it.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

Does the "enter" button work in other places in the menues?

Edit: Also is the stering wheel motor connected and does it get power?
Up the Irons!
billyC
Please Continue...

Post by billyC »

@KmanSweden - I haven't got to any other menus to check yet. The game goes through it's version and texture checks, then the screen comes on that checks all the chips, then the calibration screen.
On startup it also slightly turns the wheel left, then right. I assume that's the wheel check... but it definitely powers and moves.

@asayuki - Ya. Will probably shelf it for a while. I say that now... but odds are I'll be looking at it again this weekend. Haha. But ya, the JAMMA connector is brand new. Like I said, love learning but fixing it is clearly out of my range right now. I'm just not there yet when it comes to ability. I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur, rather someone who has picked up a few things on the internet to test various parts. Haha. Just bugs me because... well... with all the tests, new parts, etc... it "should" be working. :)

The sad part is I have called around, and when it's all said and done the local technicians are simply asking to much, stating they will have to diagnose it before even repairing it. And they are quoting $400-$600 buck. I'm better off buying a working board from EBay or something for a couple hundred! LOL. I haven't found any local, dedicated arcade repair guys, these have all been regular electronics repair guys. So, I'll keep looking.

Onward.... but, I will add... with all the time spent on restoring the actual cabinet it's now become something I will get done out of spite. One way or the other, eventually. :)
mikester26
Please Continue...
eBay: mikey26

Post by mikester26 »

billyc, I was reading your post on the cruisin' usa problem (not getting past the calibration screen). Turned on my machine today and I'm having the same exact problem. Wondering if you ever sorted yours out?
steveslotty
Please Continue...
eBay: steveslotty
Initials: sms

Post by steveslotty »

Billy c, i dont know where you live but there are people who you can send boards to for repair. I found one on ebay he has ads labled millipede pcb repair, asteroids pcb tepair, ect. He lives in texas. Ive sent him a board and it cam back working correctly he replaced and socketed some rams on a millipede and also found a bad eprom and fixed that. He changed the rams for $25 and shipping was normal price he didnt upcharge like lots of people do on ebay. And once you pay the ebay ad you have his actual address and phone number so you dont have to deal with ebay anymore if you have other things to have him fix. If i was you i would just do this instead of pulling your hair out trying to find the problem.