Kaneko Super Nova question

PCB problems and fixes
rewrite
eBay: quin-leyd
Initials: ATP

Kaneko Super Nova question

Post by rewrite »

Are carts/motherboards region locked?

I have a bootleg Cyvern that I got in part of a trade, it started showing one of the roms was bad on start-up. So I had JP roms burned to replace them, but now it doesn't boot at all. What I didn't think of at the time is I don't even know what region the boot was. Maybe it needs US roms burned instead?
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Re: Kaneko Super Nova question

Post by Hokuto »

Yup. As per the Arcade Otaku wiki:
Regions are not cross compatible and have their own BIOS. The region Regions by color coded cart:

White = Japan
Light Blue = Europe
Dark Blue = USA
Green = Asia
Red = Korean
No
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Hokuto wrote:Yup. As per the Arcade Otaku wiki:
Regions are not cross compatible and have their own BIOS. The region Regions by color coded cart:

White = Japan
Light Blue = Europe
Dark Blue = USA
Green = Asia
Red = Korean
Well that's useful to an extent, but how do I tell what region the motherboard is?
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

There is a socketed eprom on the motherboard which stores the bios/region. From what I remember, the label tells you which region and revision you have (iirc it goes something like SKNSXX, where the first X is the region and the second is the revision).
No
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Hokuto wrote:There is a socketed eprom on the motherboard which stores the bios/region. From what I remember, the label tells you which region and revision you have (iirc it goes something like SKNSXX, where the first X is the region and the second is the revision).
SNKSJ1. So I'm assuming it's JP. Which means that my conversion is just toast at this point I guess.

If putting the legit roms in the two eprom sockets on the cart doesn't do it, then the code on those must be altered for the conversion... And I sure don't have those...
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

If you look at the solder part of the board (the bottom) it should have a silkscreen in one of the corners saying what region the board is. It's HUGE, you can't miss that :D
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

RMRM wrote:If you look at the solder part of the board (the bottom) it should have a silkscreen in one of the corners saying what region the board is. It's HUGE, you can't miss that :D
There is absolutely nothing silkscreened on the bottom of my motherboard. And I mean literally nothing, not just no region marking.