CAVE boards battery

PCB problems and fixes
Wooky
Please Continue...
eBay: nyzst33

CAVE boards battery

Post by Wooky »

I have to remove the coin battery from my cave?s boards (ibara, pink sweets, dodonpachi daifukkatsu), I can simply remove it without any risks?
Dodonpachi daioujou: I can simply cut the filaments that form the basis of the battery?

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu board, I don't see any battery, where is it?

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/robivy6 ... 2.jpg.html
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Re: CAVE boards battery

Post by zak »

system11 warned me about these SH3 batteries - they can start leaking after a while - not something you want on a pricey CAVE PCB.

They're mostly used for book keeping, no?
Wooky
Please Continue...

Post by Wooky »

kernow wrote:Yes you can just take it out, but why?

Dfk had a later cv1000 type b I believe which saved to flash and not battery backed sram.
I'm afraid about acid...

dfk no problems anyway ?
Wooky
Please Continue...

Post by Wooky »

zak wrote:system11 warned me about these SH3 batteries - they can start leaking after a while - not something you want on a pricey CAVE PCB.

yes there aren't suicide battery, there used for saving score and setting
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Coin batteries aren't very prone to leaking. It's the cylinder shaped ones found on PGM hardware (DOJ, ESPGaluda and Ketsui) that need changing.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

nem wrote:Coin batteries aren't very prone to leaking. It's the cylinder shaped ones found on PGM hardware (DOJ, ESPGaluda and Ketsui) that need changing.
This!
chibishin
Please Continue...
eBay: chibishin

Post by chibishin »

sorry to threadjack, but has anyone modded a cave board to take a coin cell battery instead of the NiMH/NiCD, similar to what's done with MVS?

I've searched but have only seen threads about completely removing batteries and not adding a battery holder.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Coin batteries are mostly harmless when depleted. Just avoid value(Aka Chinese) brands. Use Hitachi (Maxwell), SONY or Panasonic ones and you're golden. :awe:
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

kernow wrote:
zak wrote:system11 warned me about these SH3 batteries - they can start leaking after a while - not something you want on a pricey CAVE PCB.

You're thinking PGM, not SH3
Oh no, I meant SH3 ;) But I hear you on the PGM side! I've seen some horrible damage on those :-o
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

chibishin wrote:sorry to threadjack, but has anyone modded a cave board to take a coin cell battery instead of the NiMH/NiCD, similar to what's done with MVS?
I put a coin cell on a Ketsui board.
zak wrote:Oh no, I meant SH3 ;)
Which SH3 games have batteries?
Wooky
Please Continue...

Post by Wooky »

thank to all for the informations :D
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

nem wrote:
chibishin wrote:sorry to threadjack, but has anyone modded a cave board to take a coin cell battery instead of the NiMH/NiCD, similar to what's done with MVS?
I put a coin cell on a Ketsui board.
I might as well quote my on own post and put this info here for posterity.

From rtw on Shmups.com, slightly edited:
Thanks to Kold666 & MKL we finally know the purpose of the SW1 switch on the PGM PCB. It's purpose is to reset the NVRAM by forcing the VCC pin on the NVRAM to ground!

This means that if you toggle the switch on a DaiOiJou Black Label you will erase the magic id stored there and the board will show "ROM ERROR". This might be the reason for the elaborate blue metal case and seal.

Kold666 & MKL have also devised a method of replacing the rechargable 3V6 NiMh battery with a normal non chargeable 3V6 Li-Ion battery by disabling the charging circuitry.

There are two options:
. Remove diode D2, this will cause the battery to only power the NVRAM.
. Remove a SMD resistor, this will allow the +5V to power the NVRAM when the PCB is powered, thereby increasing the length of the battery life. This mod is complicated because of the tiny SMD. For DaiOuJou & DaiOuJou Black Label the resistor value is R6 but for Ketsui & Espgaluda it is R11.

Note:
On a DaiOuJou Black Label both these battery changes have to be done while the PCB is powered on.