Sega Chihiro - Sound and boots but no video

PCB problems and fixes
NaokiS
Please Continue...
eBay: NaokiS
Initials: NKS

Sega Chihiro - Sound and boots but no video

Post by NaokiS »

So, it's about now I'm fuming. I got a good deal on a working House of the Dead 3 board, dim, gdrom and game, but ofcourse there's problems from day one. Firstly they sent no avip and even after hassling them, I still don't have one. Very kindy, Outrun2 let me borrow a few bits including an AVIP cable and now the board does go into the game but... No video. The monitor refuses to sync, at least it says it has no sync signal. Tried multiple cables and monitors, nothing. Plug a normal xbox video cable in composite mode, works fine except that it then says that the video sync signal is wrong type for game, tried component, nothing. ARGH. The worst part is that I did try making a temporary VGA xbox cable to no avail, did the same things. Sounds like the xbox board isn't outputting all the signal lines but I don't know if it's worth reflowing or just getting this company to sort it. :(
Dreams of owning Dancing Stage EuroMIX 2 and Time Crisis 3/4
codecrank
Please Continue...

Re: Sega Chihiro - Sound and boots but no video

Post by codecrank »

what kind of monitors have you been trying ? the chihiro outputs a funky vga signal and not every monitors will accept it. My naomi ms2932 worked ok with it, but not my lcd panel on my test rig.
NaokiS
Please Continue...

Post by NaokiS »

I have tried using various monitors from HP and Eizo, even a few 15khz things. Btw Eizo are essential Nanao and the monitor i have supports 24khz+. The best i got was an rgbs 15khz but only in green or a fully working display but only by forcing my scart tv into rgb and sending 31khz down it. Sometimes it would do nothing, other times it would work but duplicate the image as one might imagine. Ill get some pics later but i think im going to make a xbox scart cable and see if its the motherboard or if its the base board
NaokiS
Please Continue...

Post by NaokiS »

Did some testing, managed to find a way to boot the games with video, but missing green and obviously not right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kftCYy1GUR4

Also, someone tell me what difference the Type 1 and Type 3 really make? I managed to boot a couple of Type 3 games only aswell, no mods :D
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

The pink thing happened to me as well while I was testing a couple of Sony PSX based arcade PCBs. In my case the monitor was convinced the signal was YUV over VGA (yes, frigging crazy, I know).
Entered the monitor's menu, switched to RGB and it worked. Have you tried with a CRT monitor?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
NaokiS
Please Continue...

Post by NaokiS »

As it stands I don't have any crt monitors to test on except my scart tv, even then I only get a green image. The purple thing is happening because the Chihiro is in VGA mode but i'm using a YPrPb component cable, it's the only way I seem to get a decent 31 kHz signal. At this point I think the baseboard isn't converting the image properly for vGA
Urabutbl
Please Continue...
eBay: urabutbl
Initials: _P_

Post by Urabutbl »

Did you ever find a way of getting an XBox AV-cable to output a picture on a CRT?
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

Can confirm the chihiro is a bit funky with its sync signal. They work fine with the Sanwa 29e31s, but I have a WG D9400, and it just won't sync with it correctly. There is a just a partial image, and the OSD states no signal