Kaneko Super Nova error B - NG

PCB problems and fixes
rewrite
eBay: quin-leyd
Initials: ATP

Kaneko Super Nova error B - NG

Post by rewrite »

My Cyvern stopped booting up today and I was pretty meh about it. Finally cleaned all the contacts and reseated it nice and tight and it gets to the self-check and says "A - OK B - NG". After that it gets to the warning screen and scrambles about the screen until it resets and does the same thing again.

I'm assuming one of the 2 eproms on the cart went bad? Does anyone know which eprom is A and which one is B?
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Re: Kaneko Super Nova error B - NG

Post by thechop »

Have you changed the battery ?
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

thechop wrote:Have you changed the battery ?
Yes. It actually wouldn't even get this far before changing the battery.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Oh right, I just recall having some probs when the battery needed changing, been a while tho, its not this type of board that needs the test button holding down on the board to reset something is it after a bios/battery change?
Don't try it tho unless someone can confirm as I'm very prob wrong, been to bed since then.
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

thechop wrote:Oh right, I just recall having some probs when the battery needed changing, been a while tho, its not this type of board that needs the test button holding down on the board to reset something is it after a bios/battery change?
Don't try it tho unless someone can confirm as I'm very prob wrong, been to bed since then.
I read what you wrote and that sounded familiar, so I tried it. The game still says B - NG but it will play the entire game SUPER glitchy and weird. I'm assuming one of the roms is messed up. Ordered the pair and now just need to figure out which goes in which spot.
skate323k137
Please Continue...
eBay: quizknows

Post by skate323k137 »

Guessing you don't have an eprom burner? You could dump the rom(s) to see which is which. If at least one on the board is good, it's an easy task (well, if they're in sockets anyway)
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

skate323k137 wrote:Guessing you don't have an eprom burner? You could dump the rom(s) to see which is which. If at least one on the board is good, it's an easy task (well, if they're in sockets anyway)
Yeah, unfortunately mine got a nasty case of energy drink spilled in it the last time I moved cross-country. Cleaned it out before plugging it in, still never worked again.

They're socketed, so that's good for sure. I just ordered both u10 and u8 and will replace them in that manner rather than try to figure out which the rom check sees as A and which it sees as B.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Figured maybe this is worth bumping.

Finally got back to messing with it today. I've ensured the voltages are right, and cleaned both the cart, and motherboard connectors.

Not sure what SuperNova boards check on startup, but my A is OK and my B is NG.

It flickers oddly and will go through the only use in Japan, then the SuperNova splash, and restart telling me that A is OK and B is NG. Over and over.

I took a wild guess that A or B may be the two socketed program roms (U8 and U10) and replaced them with newly burned ones to no avail.

I tried messing around in MAME and "corrupting" different ROMs by writing garbage to them to try and get MAME to tell me that A or B were NG, but that doesn't work. It does make for some REALLY neat graphic and audio issues though!

Anyone know what A or B are? RAM, maybe?
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

What if A and B are boards, like it is on CPS2? Can you try another cart?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Asayuki wrote:What if A and B are boards, like it is on CPS2? Can you try another cart?
The SuperNova motherboard manual states that if A-D checks come up they're checking the cart. With that knowledge I'm assuming it's checking ROMs. But there are way more than 2 ROMs on the cart, so I'm not really sure...

I don't own any other carts, unfortunately. T_T. I'd have picked up a few Gals Panic carts by now if I ever found them sold without a motherboard.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Ok, no clue then. Very wild guess: there also are gals on the cart if i'm not wrong, maybe two of them. Does removing one change the error message?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Asayuki wrote:Ok, no clue then. Very wild guess: there also are gals on the cart if i'm not wrong, maybe two of them. Does removing one change the error message?
That was an excellent guess. There are indeed 2 gals on the cart.

Removing one causes the game to not boot at all though, unfortunately.