PCB problems and fixes
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Airlink buzzing

Post by Jan »

my Airlink started buzzing today :wtf:

anyone else have smilar Problems ?

starts very quiet, than gets loud and then back to quiet and on and on.. drives me mad :mad:
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: Airlink buzzing

Post by Devil Soundwave »

How old is your Airlink?

The common things that make PSU buzz/hum louder are a) capacitors or b) the transformer itself.

TBH buzzing sounds from an older power supply are more likely to be from the transformer, which is not really a great sign as it could mean either windings coming loose or worse the iron core coming loose.

If you have had the Airlink longer than the manufacturers warranty (probably 3 years), and it has seen a decent amount of use, then it would probably be prudent to replace it provided you can afford to do so.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

like 2 weeks ? :problem:

i have contacted Airlink, maybe they will replace it
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

so i have to ship it back on my cost and they will check it, fix it and ship it back within 14 days.

my offer to buy anotherone, ship the faulty one back and get a refund on that was denied for whatever reason.

so don`t expect the serive to have the same quality as the product. :problem:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Devil Soundwave wrote: If you have had the Airlink longer than the manufacturers warranty (probably 3 years), and it has seen a decent amount of use, then it would probably be prudent to replace it provided you can afford to do so.
for their prices i would expect them to last well over 3 years !

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

good news, they will refund the defect one once it gets back, so i will simply order another one.

still, no free return label and no direct sawp, without me paying for another one first. :problem:

so, if you pick up an 1000W airlink transformer and it breaks, keep in mind that on top of the 185€ you paid for it, you will also pay the shipping back to them ( here 20€).
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

is it a loud buzz or a gentle hum?
my 1000 Airlink has a slight hum to it, always has didnt give it much thought
Looking for More Space!
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

lound and very annoying
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I have a dozen of them and none of them buzz as far as I've noticed. I think you've just been really unlucky.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Did you disable the emissions control on it? ;)
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

it was quiet as a mouse, till i used the no.1 plug the first time ( only used the second plug before that).
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

geotrig wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote: If you have had the Airlink longer than the manufacturers warranty (probably 3 years), and it has seen a decent amount of use, then it would probably be prudent to replace it provided you can afford to do so.
for their prices i would expect them to last well over 3 years !
You'd hope so, but modern electronics generally suck.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

Jan wrote:so i have to ship it back on my cost and they will check it, fix it and ship it back within 14 days.

my offer to buy anotherone, ship the faulty one back and get a refund on that was denied for whatever reason.

so don`t expect the serive to have the same quality as the product. :problem:
Airlink are in the UK/EU right?

The Sale of Goods Act (SGA) 1979 states that items must be "of satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose".

An item developing a fault within two weeks would denote that it is not "of satisfactory quality" and, following the fault, is no longer "fit for purpose".

Their legal right is that they are allowed to attempt a repair, however this must be at no cost to the consumer (provided it is indeed faulty).

This is even outlined in their terms, section 9:

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/terms.html

Thus if you ship it back and they find a fault that warrants *any* amount of work by them to repair, you are entitled to have the postage cost reimbursed.

Additionally to the Sale of Goods Act 1979, you are also covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which states that a consumer has 30 days to return faulty goods and expect a replacement, a refund or a price reduction.

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/consumer/consu ... n/138.html

Be sure and inform them that you are currently "rejecting the goods as faulty" and expect the repair and return to be actioned at their cost.

If a buyer has been sold goods that are faulty (or develop a fault), they are entitled to claim expenses that they have incurred. This is known as ‘consequential loss’.

For example, if a tumble dryer develops a fault and tears clothing in the process, the buyer can claim for the cost of the clothing in addition to seeking a repair, replacement or partial refund from the seller, thus the law clearly states that you should not lose out, i.e. they have to cover the shipping.

Ross
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

:problem: the law doesn't clearly state anything on this matter. It's complex and mostly outdated.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

If you are intersted in the impact of EU directives on UK consumer law you can start here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... vision/2/1

Not that anyone will care, but Jan is based in the EU,airlink are in the UK. Once you establish where the contract was formed, you can attempt to apply the law. It's as grey an area as they come.

Asking someone outside the UK to pay return shipping for faulty goods is poor business practice, but it's a common practice. It works the same for us, buy something from pixmania (France) and see what happens when it goes faulty and you quote the sale of goods act.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

markedkiller78 wrote::problem: the law doesn't clearly state anything on this matter. It's complex and mostly outdated.
Well ok, perhaps "clearly state" was a bit bombastic on my part, as these things are never particularly clear.

Establishing which law applies (UK or EU) is of little consequence now in that UK and EU law are in line with each other as far as distance selling is concerned. I believe that as the seller is UK based, UK law would generally apply, however the EU rules are the same so it's kinda moot, and as such the law does allow for consequential loss.

As for law being mostly out of date, I believe that is why there was a the new law enacted in 2015 to attempt to replace and clarify some of the **** that was in the previous distance selling regulations, and also to bring them fully into line with the EU-wide regulations, which state that if an item you bought anywhere in the EU and it turns out to be faulty or does not look or work as advertised, the seller must repair or replace it free of charge or give you a full refund or reduction in price.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/sh ... dex_en.htm

In any case, as I said before, the company's own published terms state that the repair should be at no cost to the buyer, so irrespective of any law, provided they are sticking to their own terms of sale they should refund your postage.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

You initially quoted the Sale of goods act 1979, which is outdated, you also said it's clear that postage should be refunded and its not.

The sale of goods act is no where near in line with EU law, neither are the distance selling rules, but if you choose to Google some more, then make a new point, so be it.

To the best of my knowledge no current law or legislation explicitly states that return postage needs to be refunded.

It's seen as best practice, but not a legal requirement.

I don't particularly want a drawn out argument, but I see too much 'advice' that's simply wrong.

I've read the T&Cs and again see nothing about return postage. You see it as clear cut, but it's really not. There is nothing stopping you walking to the front door of the company and dropping it off for a 'free' repair. It's not a simple matter
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

markedkiller78 wrote:You initially quoted the Sale of goods act 1979, which is outdated, you also said it's clear that postage should be refunded and its not.

The sale of goods act is no where near in line with EU law, neither are the distance selling rules, but if you choose to Google some more, then make a new point, so be it.

To the best of my knowledge no current law or legislation explicitly states that return postage needs to be refunded.

It's seen as best practice, but not a legal requirement.

I don't particularly want a drawn out argument, but I see too much 'advice' that's simply wrong.

I've read the T&Cs and again see nothing about return postage. You see it as clear cut, but it's really not. There is nothing stopping you walking to the front door of the company and dropping it off for a 'free' repair. It's not a simple matter

I quoted the Sale of Goods Act 1979 re: fit for purpose, which, yes, I agree, has now been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, my bad. I had to read up on all this **** a couple years ago when I had a court case over a dodgy car, so apologies for quoting an out of date piece of legislation.

In any case, you'll note in my initial post I did actually also reference the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (which I had thought was in addition to the Sale of Goods Act 1979, not a replacement for it), which is were the rules about consequential loss comes in and thus can probably be applied to allow for postage to be refunded. Possibly. Agree it's not clear cut.

Whilst the Airlink T&C do not say anything about return postage, they do state "Arrange for the goods to be repaired at no cost the buyer". I dare say this is open to interpretation yes? I think you could fairly argue that postage to get the thing to them to be repaired would be a "cost".

You have made some valid points man, I don't want to argue with you either, but you are coming across a bit shirty as if I have offended you personally which was not my intention, so apologies if I have. :(

As you clearly have an understanding of this stuff, if you feel like pointing out any gaping holes in my own T&C's it'd be appreciated:

http://arcadejapan.co.uk/terms-and-conditions
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Did you get the postage back for your dodgy car?
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

Nope. ;)

I was just trying to help. Ignore me. Ask Mark.