Naomi dimm upgrade GDs

PCB problems and fixes
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Naomi dimm upgrade GDs

Post by zumbito »

Hi,

I am trying to look for a Naomi dim firmware upgrade GD, but apparently they are nonexistent on Ebay. I just found some pics of them, one that says "Dimm Firm update" and other that says "Firm Update for CF-Box".
My question is : To whats the difference? If the one with CF-Box is the only one that enables you to load from CF, what is the other GD for?

Thanks
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Re: Naomi dimm upgrade GDs

Post by andygeezer »

The cf box firm gd-rom disc updates net dimm boards to 4.01 and supports gd-rom, cf and net boot.

Also games like vf4 ft work fine as it has all firm 3.x commands
Say hello to my little friend...
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

You mean other games don´t work fine?
So how about the ¨Dimm firm update¨, what´s its use?
jodre

Post by jodre »

out of my head
3.17 for netboot
4.01 for CF
4.02 non official that takes netboot files on CF)

If your netdimm is netbootable then you can upgrade the dimm via ethernet.

Don't think any Naomi games need more than 3.17 to play just it's just how you load the games.

Chihiro and Triforce may need higher to work?

Edit: ofc a higher number version supports everything a lower does also
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Not 100% about this so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some games need updated netdimm firmware. My guess VF4Evo for instance since you can use the chip from that game with one of the dimm update discs. Also if you want to update to the 4.01 or 4.02 versions and the FW on your netdimm is too old you'll need a disc first to update to a version that you can apply 4.0x to. I did this last week on two of my netdimms. Updated them from 2.06 to 2.17 from GD-ROM and then to 4.02 from a server. I'm not sure what the minimum FW version requirement for updating to 4.0x is but 2.17 works at least.

HTH
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

What was the ¨title¨ of the GD-Rom you used? So there are dimm updates just for differents games, but they won´t enable the CF feature, for that you need the GD thats says ¨..... CF-Box¨ right?
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

jodre wrote:out of my head
3.17 for netboot
My 2.06 netboots fine so you definitely don't need 3.17 for that.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

zumbito wrote:What was the ¨title¨ of the GD-Rom you used? So there are dimm updates just for differents games, but they won´t enable the CF feature, for that you need the GD thats says ¨..... CF-Box¨ right?
There's two GD-ROM update discs for the Naomi that I know of: GDS-0023A and GDS-0023C. 23A uses the same chip as Virtua Fighter 4 and 23C the same Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. Non of them will enable CF, but using at least 23C that will update your netdimm FW to version 2.17 you can then apply the 4.02 by netbooting it (works with a nullPIC).
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

SO for net dimms with 3.03 or higher this GDs are useless right?

What about Dimm that just have SCSI? They cant netboot, nor be updated through PC.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

SO for net dimms with 3.03 or higher this GDs are useless right?

What about Dimm that just have SCSI? They cant netboot, nor be updated through PC.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

zumbito wrote:SO for net dimms with 3.03 or higher this GDs are useless right?

No, they can't be used for netbooting nor can they be updated from PC.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

Okay

4.01 firmware will play everything and support CF as a storage device
3.17 firmware will play everything
3.03 introduction of net booting/net boot keychips
2.xx introduction of basic ALL.net functionality
1.xx standard dim board - no network

4.01 is the best bet for all uses, 4.02 is a hacked firmware to remove the CF mfg name check, that's the only difference from 4.02, it must be net booted, as obviously it's not a pressed hack.

There is also 3.17 CDR firmware which has been around for donkey's year, which allows CD-Rs to be used - the only issue with this is it bombs out after a couple of hours.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

andygeezer wrote:Okay

4.01 firmware will play everything and support CF as a storage device
3.17 firmware will play everything
3.03 introduction of net booting/net boot keychips
2.xx introduction of basic ALL.net functionality
1.xx standard dim board - no network

4.01 is the best bet for all uses, 4.02 is a hacked firmware to remove the CF mfg name check, that's the only difference from 4.02, it must be net booted, as obviously it's not a pressed hack.

There is also 3.17 CDR firmware which has been around for donkey's year, which allows CD-Rs to be used - the only issue with this is it bombs out after a couple of hours.
Andy, I've been netbooting with both my netdimms with pre 3.03 FW (2.06 and 2.17 IIRC). Can't prove my point though since I've updated both to 4.02. Which brings me to the question if there's a way to downgrade from 4.02 to 4.01 (or even further down), or is it a one way street?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Stompp wrote:[Which brings me to the question if there's a way to downgrade from 4.02 to 4.01 (or even further down), or is it a one way street?
Yes, downgrade is possible by netbooting a hex edited firmware update so it thinks it's installing "4.03". The actual firmware binary is unmodified, it's just the installer part that is modified.
ImageImageImageImage
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

So, if the official GD only updates to 4.01 the dimm, for dims with no ethernet whats the way to make these dimms firm update to 4.02?
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead

Post by andygeezer »

idc wrote:
Stompp wrote:[Which brings me to the question if there's a way to downgrade from 4.02 to 4.01 (or even further down), or is it a one way street?
Yes, downgrade is possible by netbooting a hex edited firmware update so it thinks it's installing "4.03". The actual firmware binary is unmodified, it's just the installer part that is modified.
Not possible, there is no code in firmware less than 3.03 for net booting, so I can't explain how that worked!!

And yes you can downgrade, by holding down the test or service button (can't remember which) on the Naomi mainboard while booting the firmware disc (puts the Naomi into force mode).
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

andygeezer wrote:
idc wrote:
Not possible, there is no code in firmware less than 3.03 for net booting, so I can't explain how that worked!!

And yes you can downgrade, by holding down the test or service button (can't remember which) on the Naomi mainboard while booting the firmware disc (puts the Naomi into force mode).
Damn :( Wish I had kept one of them as it was then for trying to find out how come it was working. Here's the only pic I have of netbooting pre 3.03 (upgrading from 2.17 to 4.02)...

EDIT: Or am I looking at the wrong numbers? :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dremcast2000
Please Continue...
Initials: edu

Post by dremcast2000 »

hi i have one update disk gds-023E but i never use irt i want update my dims from 1.02 to 3.17
so i need a keychip? can i use zero key? or other game keychip?
this disk have his own key chip? can i download this key chip info from somewhere?.
p1pkin
Please Continue...

Post by p1pkin »

dremcast2000 wrote:hi i have one update disk gds-023E but i never use irt i want update my dims from 1.02 to 3.17
so i need a keychip? can i use zero key? or other game keychip?
this disk have his own key chip? can i download this key chip info from somewhere?.
you can't software update 1.02, there is only hard way -
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 26&t=29505

gds-023E disk require 253-5508-0387 / 317-0387-COM key chip, same as was used in VF4 Final Tuned
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

p1pkin wrote:you can't software update 1.02, there is only hard way -
https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 26&t=29505
Are you 100% sure? I thought it could be done with a bunch of update discs, one incremental update at a time.