WIP: CPS 1.5 on CPS2 hardware

PCB problems and fixes
jedpossum
Please Continue...
Initials: JLH

Re: WIP: CPS 1.5 on CPS2 hardware

Post by jedpossum »

Last month, I ported a song from one cps2 to another cps2 game. Which is probably the most recent thing probably done and possibly can tie into the non cps1 dash boards.

Besides mainly switching the instruments over 40 times it was drag and drop.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

jedpossum wrote:Last month, I ported a song from one cps2 to another cps2 game. Which is probably the most recent thing probably done and possibly can tie into the non cps1 dash boards.

That's a testament on how a good development kit saves time when you're into making money from your work. Good work CAPCOM. :awe:

Edit:
Aaaand ... Cave used .XM/.MOD on their games which run on PGM harware:

http://vgmrips.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2231
jedpossum
Please Continue...

Post by jedpossum »

leonardoliveira wrote:
jedpossum wrote:Last month, I ported a song from one cps2 to another cps2 game. Which is probably the most recent thing probably done and possibly can tie into the non cps1 dash boards.

That's a testament on how a good development kit saves time when you're into making money from your work. Good work CAPCOM. :awe:
Well I said else where, the only cps2 game that song data is different is Alpha 3, but it is similar enough still I can see the same patterns in the music data.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

leonardoliveira wrote:Aaaand ... Cave used .XM/.MOD on their games which run on PGM harware:

Nice pointer. Thanks!
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
jedpossum
Please Continue...

Post by jedpossum »

leonardoliveira wrote: Edit:
Aaaand ... Cave used .XM/.MOD on their games which run on PGM harware:

Well here is my straight rips of cps2 songs. If you want to see if they're similar to any tracker format. No Samples just the song data.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxrm5f2gqmsvg ... ps.7z?dl=0

Edit: Looking at a3 and trying to play it in older games it looks like the endian is reversed on some the functions.
for tempo in st it would be 05 0259 but in A3's driver it should be 05 5902.
neocps1
Banned

Post by neocps1 »

Old video of Pnickies Japan converted to cps-2. Was my first try doing this kind of conversions. Missing sound and music since there is no qsound equivalent of course :

leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

neocps1 wrote:Old video of Pnickies Japan converted to cps-2. Was my first try doing this kind of conversions. Missing sound and music since there is no qsound equivalent of course :

I am recalling you mentioned that I would figure out why it was going to be impossible to make my idea work.
After all the work I had to make Daimakaimura sound work, I don't really think it will be worth the hassle. :lol:

Jedpossum's work make it possible to port/reuse a CPS2 sound driver to make music for CPS1 games work.
I tried a hardware approach, which worked but gave me a whole myriad of headaches ranging from adding chips to the board to z80 interrupt handling needing changes(two chips generating interrupts instead of just one) and extensive hacking of the music driver. :lol:

I honestly think we could take all the stuff we have here and make it open source/free for all. I don't mind sharing my ideas publicly. :awe:
neocps1
Banned

Post by neocps1 »

Great job if you suceeded at adding the cps-1 sound hardware on cps-2 :) A picture to show the mess ? :awe:
jedpossum
Please Continue...

Post by jedpossum »

I know a few of the chords are wrong.
The original CPZN format is pretty different especially each track has a bank of a few instruments instead of being a single instrument and everything needs a command even to play a note. Only thing I see the same so far is the header of the music data and note output.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

neocps1 wrote:Great job if you suceeded at adding the cps-1 sound hardware on cps-2 :) A picture to show the mess ? :awe:
It's just the OPM chip(YM2151) on a tiny PCB with three 74xx ICs on a breadboard, soldered directly to the Z80 pins on the A board.

I only did hack one sound driver (Dai Makaimura) and the results were subpar because my modifications damaged the driver somewhat and it doesn't do sound FX properly.
It's on the same state for months now. Such is my lack of motivation... While I don't have a picture of that I have some picture of something else (also Z80 based) I am "hacking" atm (also music related):
That kludge has a YM2612, a YM2610 (for it's YM2149 part only) and a Sega Master System VDP (for it's SN76489) in a sonic katamari of Mega Drive music being run on a MSX computer. :awe:
At least for this one the software side is solid:
https://bitbucket.org/grauw/vgmplay-msx (of course not made by me, I just wrote a custom driver for my hardware which then I added to it)

The kludge on the CPS2 looks like that (the YM2151 is soldered to the Z80 the same way the YM2610 is soldered to the YM2612 in the picture).

Eventually I'll show pictures of it. I didn't mention much about it because it's not even nearly close to being done. It's working only enough to allow one to be able to listen to the musics on testmode.
neocps1
Banned

Post by neocps1 »

amazing :D
jedpossum
Please Continue...

Post by jedpossum »

I should of posted all of this sooner.

Link to the Keyboard display scripts. Definitely helped in debugging the song.
https://github.com/jedpossum/Qsound-Scripts
And my most update of the notes.
https://github.com/jedpossum/NotesandBi ... 20Data.txt

Vid of more examples of it in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lxpdS9h40
kuze

Post by kuze »

Very cool man, I dig the song!! Keep up the excellent work.
Bytestorm
eBay: stefan_nafets
Initials: LSN

Post by Bytestorm »

Any news on this project? :) Will we ever be able to see fully functional CPS1.5 on CPS2?

Would indeed be a dream come true :D
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

I can't say anything about neocps1 project but in my attempt at converting The Punisher I stalled at the point where I tripped a protection on the game program. It causes the enemies to die instantly as they appear on the screen. Also I was unable to find a satisfactory solution for the sprites priority problem.

With Daimakaimura I was unable to properly convert the whole graphics data. And that's the major reason why I stopped messing with this. Also there were some issues with the sound driver hack. :cry:
Bytestorm
eBay: stefan_nafets
Initials: LSN

Post by Bytestorm »

leonardoliveira wrote:I can't say anything about neocps1 project but in my attempt at converting The Punisher I stalled at the point where I tripped a protection on the game program. It causes the enemies to die instantly as they appear on the screen. Also I was unable to find a satisfactory solution for the sprites priority problem.

With Daimakaimura I was unable to properly convert the whole graphics data. And that's the major reason why I stopped messing with this. Also there were some issues with the sound driver hack. :cry:
Ok, I see :(. Great job so far thou. Who knows, maybe someone will find a way around it some day :D
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

I wish i had a mp3 of that ken song, its pretty rad.
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

@leonardoliveira

Did you modify the vector table to have your code running on interrupt?
Can you give an example of which entry it is for vblank? :)
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

I didn't modify the vector table. I hooked a jump instruction on the vblank code. Compare my patch against the original rom.
eathis
Please Continue...

Post by eathis »

Finally all CPS1.5 games can run on CPS2 hardware?

Somebody does it for all CPS1.5?