[REL] NAOMI Multi-region BIOS

PCB problems and fixes
p1pkin
Please Continue...
Re: [REL] NAOMI Multi-region BIOS

Post by p1pkin »

finisterre wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 3:42 pm Formerly private Naomi DIMM firmware 3.17 patch for CDR media
is it really works ? as I've heard it was private because not-usable at practice - will reset NAOMI every hour or something like that.
finisterre
Banned
eBay: nunya
Initials: KF

Post by finisterre »

p1pkin wrote: November 29th, 2019, 5:21 pm
finisterre wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 3:42 pm Formerly private Naomi DIMM firmware 3.17 patch for CDR media
is it really works ? as I've heard it was private because not-usable at practice - will reset NAOMI every hour or something like that.
I believe the definition of "usable" comes from Mitsurugi_w and people around him not wanting to support AP forum users on this free solution in favor of a more profitable and supportable CF based solution.

From the Github README regarding the reset:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... post102796
"there was unsolved side effects like reset after some time, which makes in ususable at practice, so that hack was abandoned in prior of CF or Net boot methods"

As I understand it was most recently unreleased because people didn't want to answer questions, not due to any "usability". Originally I believe in your own words in the ElSemi days: "until Elsemi decides to make this hack public - no one else, including me, will do it himself". It is unclear who passed it on to the Arcade Projects folks from the previous state of "no one else, including [you]" stance. If I were to guess you gave it to Mitsu and Dark, and they couldn't figure out a way to make $$ off the technique?
https://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php?topic=78927.0

Generally speaking for some people playing a game for an hour is completely fine. Likewise as I understand it, the same reset was patched in the CF version. Now that the previously unreleased firmware is available, perhaps an interested enough person, who have skills to hack DIMM firmware will add this already known patch (from the CF version) to make it more user friendly.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... post104030
"That reset was patched in the CF version. I guess it can also be easily patched in the GDRom version, if the code that does the check is similar or jumps to similar positions for reset, etc."
p1pkin
Please Continue...

Post by p1pkin »

the wall of unrelated copy&paste crap and drama (as usual), and no answer on actual question.
I'm mainly wondering - is there at least single person in the world, who was interested enough to test this firmware at practice ?
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

p1pkin wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:11 am the wall of unrelated copy&paste crap and drama (as usual), and no answer on actual question.
I'm mainly wondering - is there at least single person in the world, who was interested enough to test this firmware at practice ?
"as usual" pretending you don't already know. Just ask Mitsu perhaps?

"at least single person in the world" my dude... the firmware was JUST made available to the public a few days ago.

You and your friends that tested or had access to it previously already know how it works (or where it falls short). You yourself have already publicly discussed the limitations, so no need to be coy any more.

Give the rest of the folks that JUST gained access to it some time to eyeball it perhaps? Feel free to just share what you know on the topic, as you have in more private settings, or non English based forums in the past.
p1pkin
Please Continue...

Post by p1pkin »

finisterre wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:57 am "as usual" pretending you don't already know. Just ask Mitsu perhaps?
I don't, seriously. yes, this firmware patch was floating around during ~decade, but I know no people who used it in person, it seems no one was cared to even try.
so I'm honestly wondering - is it really works or glitching as rumors says ?
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

p1pkin wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:20 pm
finisterre wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:57 am "as usual" pretending you don't already know. Just ask Mitsu perhaps?
I don't, seriously. yes, this firmware patch was floating around during ~decade, but I know no people who used it in person, it seems no one was cared to even try.
so I'm honestly wondering - is it really works or glitching as rumors says ?
I was able to get the firmware flashed on to one of my DIMMs, but with the recent holidays I was unable to do anything more than attempt one write of a CDR (which failed to boot).

Given my lack of time, I had hoped someone else would be able to dig in further now that the files are available. I'll try to circle back after the new year perhaps if no progress was made.

Zim's notes here http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/w/index.php?title=Disc_Layout seem to be the best example of what the NaoISO.exe image creation tool *may* want to be fed to create the appropriate .iso file.

As an OSX user I'm also a bit limited on the ability to use the suggested tools.

Much of the detail has nearly been lost to time... so I don't think it is for lack of care, perhaps just the same lack of documentation. If you have better steps on how to make the necessary ISO file I am happy to test further and share the results.
Last edited by finisterre on December 2nd, 2019, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReplicaX
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Post by ReplicaX »

finisterre wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:42 pm
Given my lack of time, I had hoped someone else would be able to dig in further now that the files are available.

As an OSX user I'm also a bit limited on the ability to use the suggested tools.
I am trying to understand your lack of time honestly.
You are all over the net on some sort of injustice crusade and stirring drama everywhere you go. On top of this, you are injecting it all with requests and demands asking others to do stuff for you.

Perhaps, leaving the garbage at the door and being more polite will get you somewhere.
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Vewlix L AMI | Medieval Madness RE
Arcade Tech since 1994
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

ReplicaX wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 5:55 pm
finisterre wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:42 pm
Given my lack of time, I had hoped someone else would be able to dig in further now that the files are available.

I am trying to understand your lack of time honestly.
You are all over the net on some sort of injustice crusade and stirring drama everywhere you go. On top of this, you are injecting it all with requests and demands asking others to do stuff for you.

Perhaps, leaving the garbage at the door and being more polite will get you somewhere.
I work from home and have 2 kids, one is Autistic, one is a toddler.... your observations and attempts to rationalize my personal time need not apply. Thanks for your concern none the less!

Where is the demand in this? I've demanded nothing. I simply shared something that was gate kept...

"drama" is in the eye of the beholder, although I appreciate your pro-tip on how to interact with the community none the less.
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

ReplicaX wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 5:55 pm Perhaps, leaving the garbage at the door and being more polite will get you somewhere.
Makes you wonder why I wound up with it in the first place?

TBH when I asked about the CDR firmware politely last year I was clowned on and fed stories about how CDR was a dead media and told I should just buy a CF adapter or netboot. Some of these edge topics collect their own garbage, claiming CF media is somehow less dead than CDR media is a classic example of the condescending tone I've come to expect.

Another simple example right now, instead of perhaps discussing how the CF reset patches MAY relate to the CDR reset issue, here we sit browbeating how you feel about me and what I've chosen to present. I wonder if we could both get somewhere different with a slight tone adjustment? FWIW, I was always taught to treat people the way they treat me. MANY MANY people in this scene are snarky, but hate it when folks get snarky back. Alas, I digress. :oops:

I will not respond further to non-technical discussion on this topic. Thanks! I hope you all had a great holiday!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

finisterre wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 4:42 pmNem's notes here http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/w/index.php?title=Disc_Layout
@invzim's notes, not mine.
ReplicaX
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Post by ReplicaX »

Being in a neutral position. I rest my case, just tired of other ppl's laundry and cross-firing carrying everywhere.
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Vewlix L AMI | Medieval Madness RE
Arcade Tech since 1994
finisterre
Banned

Post by finisterre »

@nem I thought I may have mistyped that, I meant "zim", my browser autocorrected it to "him". It must have auto-corrected one more time and I missed it! Either way the meat of the technical detail that I am aware of is provided in that link. Thanks for pointing that out.

My understanding was that the technique employed with this "patch" was similar to the technique used with the multi-region BIOS, hence one of the reasons I posted it here. At this point we are way off topic.

To be clear since @ReplicaX has mentioned his "case", When I said "I had hoped someone else would be able to dig in further" this was not a *request* nor a *demand*... It was simply be being good hearted and being hopeful that now that folks are empowered to do so, they can dig in if they wish to.

Likewise when I said "If you have better steps on how to make the necessary ISO file", this was not me "injecting" some sort of ask for "others to do stuff for [me]". I'll get to it when I get to it. The context was claiming no one "cared" about CDR booting enough to try it... I was more so pointing out, I don't think that this stuff came with a *manual* even in the rare cases it was given out.

Generally I could care less what you all do with this information. All I know is it was being gate kept for no reason, all the while being privately circulated. I flat out don't care why. These bytes as they relate to gdachecksecurity() are really the only relevant thing we should have to talk about. IMHO

FW_Dimm317.bin
1122363 (0x11203B) | 8df3 6e35 d112 620b e114 ..n5..b... #
1122545 (0x1120F1) | 8d00 e007 d112 6104 e004 ......a... #

317hackedupdatergd.bin
1122363 (0x11203B) | a0f3 6e35 d112 620b e114 ..n5..b...
1122545 (0x1120F1) | a000 e007 d112 6104 e004 ......a...

Alternately maybe we could get wax poetic about the number 45000. Beyond that, please take any personal criticism to my DM's, I'm happy to discuss your perception!
quinino
eBay: quinino17
Initials: qui

Post by quinino »

hello
everyone ,some people have naomi bios 1\2 multibios
split file for tl 866 ,load 512kb at time (4 parts),thanks in advance
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

There's a newer multibios with a fixed bootstrap up on Arcade-Projects:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads ... rap.14842/

It fixes some incompatibilities that the original multi bios had. You have to be a member of the forum to download the BIOS.

As for splitting it down, you can use BINman to split the file into four chunks:

https://www.jammarcade.net/programs/
quinino
eBay: quinino17
Initials: qui

Post by quinino »

thanks nem for your support
i download file and try to program...