Need help with a dead Type X2

PCB problems and fixes
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Need help with a dead Type X2

Post by Stompp »

One of my type X2's has begun to act up...or to be more precise not acting at all :(

After working ok it first only showed the boot screen. The red progress bar showed until about 80-90% and then the screen went black. Then sometimes the unit restarted before getting to this point. Now it's not even getting to the boot screen and the buzzer on the mobo is doing a clicking sound.

I've tested the RAM, graphic card and JVS I/O card on another unit and they work ok. The CMOS battery is at 3.044 V. Only thing I haven't tried yet is swapping out the CPU. I guess I kinda was hoping someone had any insights on what might be the fault before I start ripping out CPU's. Though I suppose it's the only option left except a fried mobo - which I hope is not the case :problem:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Re: Need help with a dead Type X2

Post by baddy »

Swapping CPU will be straightforward if you have thermal paste around as it is mandatory to change it when removing and replacing the CPU + heatsink.

I would try one of those cheap PCI diagnostic card, it will tell you if something is wrong

Also, an usual culprit on motherboard are the electrolytic capacitors around the CPU (power rails). Check them to see if they bulged, leaked.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

Thanks baddy :)

The caps are ok looking. One of those diag cards might be worth a try. Meanwhile I'll try another CPU.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

Took the opportunity to remove some grime while swapping CPU's :sick:
WP_20140824_12_24_01_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

So, tested a CPU from another working unit. No luck :( Waiting for the PCI diag card to show up...unless someone has any other trick up their sleeve I could try.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

Did a few more tries tonight and a couple of the unit boots up to the first screen but the red POST progress bar is stuck on approx 25%. Most times though it gives me a 4-3-4-3 beep code which I can't figure out what it means. I've checked BIOS central and a couple of more places and find results ranging from "Boot code was read OK" to "Faulty motherboard or one of its components". :(

Anyone got an idea on what the issue might be? Or am I looking at a dead unit? :cry:
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

I dunno much about x2 motherboard but in the regular PC world dead mobos are a rare thing.

Did you get the diagnostic card in the end? Also check the caps around the CPU, on cheap board they are electrolytic and do not age nicely.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

Yeah, tried it but I need to pull out the mobo from the case for being able to read it properly. That's what you get for being cheap and not buying the more expensive card with extension cable :palm:
The last message from the POST is "Auto size DRAM" if I recollect correctly. No clear error message from the diag card as far as I could spot.
jodre

Post by jodre »

Tried swapping PSU?
Most common piece to go faulty in a PC by far, the errors it causes is also all over the place so no point trying any diagnostics before you are sure the PSU is not to blame.
Stompp
Please Continue...

Post by Stompp »

I'll give it a try tonight.