NAOMI mobo dead - overheated?

PCB problems and fixes
witchfinder
Please Continue...
Initials: MAT

NAOMI mobo dead - overheated?

Post by witchfinder »

I had a party a couple of weeks back when it was rather warm outside (and even more so in my games room) and half way though the evening my Crazy Taxi cab flaked out, and from that point on it fails to load the game when switched on.

After a bit of investigation I've confirmed that it's the motherboard that's died. When powered up the red lights inside still light up and the fan is still blowing, but no game will boot - I've also tried it in a NAOMI Universal cab so know it's not the CT cab at fault.

Is overheating a common problem? And is the mobo repairable or should I just get hold of another one? Anything specific I can look at if trying to fix it or see if it's worth fixing?

To avoid this happening again I'm thinking of putting an extra fan inside the CT cab - any suggestions on what might be suitable? I was thinking about some kind of PC fan mounted inside and powered by the NAOMI PSU...
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Re: NAOMI mobo dead - overheated?

Post by Johnnychaos »

The GPU can overheat. Happens on both naomi 1 and 2 mobos.. if you had access to a reballing machine you could fix it.

or maybe try the oven trick like people did with XBOX's.. I fixed my graphics card in the oven, but it only lasted a couple of months.
witchfinder
Please Continue...

Post by witchfinder »

Thanks John. Sticking it in the oven to trying to reflow it doesn;t really appeal to me, so I think I'll just try and get another mobo...

To avoid this happening again, would mounting a 12v PC fan inside the cab help to keep the interior cooler work, wired up to the 12v from the NAOMI wiring?
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

It would help. Although it seems to be the small fans on top of the gpu that are often the issue.
Ive got a couple of dead boards on my shelf that have all gone the same way.
witchfinder
Please Continue...

Post by witchfinder »

Cool, thanks. :D