Cps3 errors

PCB problems and fixes
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Cps3 errors

Post by Johnnychaos »

Put in my cpsIII setup tonight and the p2 med kick stopped working. Turned it off and checked the wires and now when I turn it on it just says something about not enough Simms installed.

The kick works fine on my cps2 boards. Are these things fixable?
Johnnychaos

Re: Cps3 errors

Post by Johnnychaos »

Reseated the cart and Simms (sp?) and it booted again. But I'm still missing the p2 med kick. The wire and connector on the mobo are fine.
Anyone know what it's likely to be?
Tyranix95
Please Continue...

Post by Tyranix95 »

Enter test mode.

Look for INPUT TEST.

Check your buttons.

If the kick does not register in test mode, then double check your wiring. And make sure your button is not bad.

The CPS2 Kick harness pinout is on google.
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

thanks but as I said the same wiring/cab is fine with my CPS2 games.
Tyranix95
Please Continue...

Post by Tyranix95 »

You're welcome.

My two cents.

Next, find the med. kick pin on the extra button harness connector. Locate the trace connected to it. Follow the trace back. It should go to an inline resistor pack. Next, get your multi-meter out an check the trace, make sure it's good. And then check the resistor pack. Make sure that's good too. If both are good, then follow the next trace out of the resistor pack to an IC. Again trace check it. Also find the IC that controls the P2 RndHse and Lght kicks. Not the pins on the IC that connect to the resistor pack.

Now, get your logic probe out, with the board on, put the probe on each pin one at a time, and hit the corresponding kick button, if the gate is working, then the probe should show a change in state. Be very careful NOT to bridge pins on the IC with the probe. If the med kick pin is not changing state on the IC, like the other two, then replace it.

If it is, then find the data sheet for that chip, look at the schematics for the chip, find the output gates for the kick buttons, and see which pin are the out put pins. Then re-check the IC with the kick buttons.

(basically you're looking for a non-responsive/stuck pin.)

If the pins are responsive, then find the trace connected to the output pin, and follow it to the next IC. Check the traces. And repeat. Keep going until you reach a QFP custom. That's the end of the road.

---

Or, just get another mobo.
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

OK thanks for the tips, I didn't even think of testing the IC by pressing the button, I'll dig my logic probe out.
I did already follow the trace back so far from the button so far through the motherboard. just to check there was at least an unbroken connection going so far in to the board to eliminate wires and connectors being at fault. it's pretty hard to follow on that board and I didn't get very far before I lost my place. But I'll give it another go