Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

PCB problems and fixes
Post Reply
User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 10th, 2014, 11:31 pm

Ok, this my first time running neo mvs at all.

I bought a 1 slot MVS1FZ and am trying to run Metal Slug 3 on an Egret II.
The screen splashes like the cart is going to load up, but then just goes to the menu of sorts, well not the main menu, but to the crosshatch.
Dip setting has number 7 put on the on position, all other dips on the off...
I feel an idiot, or perhaps either the cart or the motherboard are faulty.
Just got Ketsui, and it runs fine of course. Can't seem to get MS3 running though...
Once again, motherboard seems to work, but just boots up in the "crosshatch," I can then cycle through the color adj., I/O Check, Sound Test, Memory Card Test, Backup Clear and Calendar, but that is all....

Can't seem to get to the main menu.

User avatar
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
Posts: 1010
Joined: September 5th, 2011, 1:24 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
eBay: 8bitbitch

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by ninn » February 10th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I dont know the NeoGeo very well.

but according to the manual
http://www.arcadiabay.de/manuals/store/ ... Manual.pdf"

It sounds like you have dipswitch 1 set to on. (Side 6 in the manual)
Try to set it to off position.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!

User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 10th, 2014, 11:50 pm

ninn wrote:I dont know the NeoGeo very well.

but according to the manual
http://www.arcadiabay.de/manuals/store/ ... Manual.pdf"

It sounds like you have dipswitch 1 set to on. (Side 6 in the manual)
Try to set it to off position.
Yeah, I tried that Ninn, had a look at the manual prior...
I tried both w/ #1 dip setting in the on and off setting w/ all other dips in the off direction... still, no enchilada... :cry:

User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 11th, 2014, 12:56 am

Well, after plugging the cart back into the mvs1fz again and again, finally the game booted but was garbled graphics displayed and soon crashes thereafter...

On several reboots, I get the message Z80 error, so it looks like something is wrong with the motherboard...

Edit: now it is booting back to only the "crosshatch screen," again.... something is defiantly messed up with this board, I am getting the feeling...
The seller on neo-geo.com, said he, "had some spare time so replace a couple of the capacitors." hmmm.... wondering if this was to fix a problem now.

I found this link at neo-geo.com for z80 errors, and it says a cap repair wouldn't fix the issue, so all just seems weird. And there's a lot of hot glue smothered on the board, I am now noticing...

User avatar
Hokuto
Posts: 82
Joined: June 29th, 2013, 8:44 am
Location: México
Initials: !__

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Hokuto » February 11th, 2014, 1:39 am

Give the cart one hell of a cleaning, and be sure to clean the contacts on the slot as well.
I have carts that have done the same thing (either boot up with garbled graphics and sound, or give straight up a z80 error) and a good cleaning solved the problem. Make sure the cart is also making good contact.
No

User avatar
Tyranix95
Posts: 59
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 12:22 am
Location:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Tyranix95 » February 11th, 2014, 3:03 am

supergrafx77 bought this NEO MV-1FZ from me. And we had a smooth txn. He has an open option for a return/refund.

Before I begin: This 1 Slot Jamma Neo board worked fine while in my possession. Gamed on it for a wile. Beat a few games on it: SS2, KOF97, MS4 (twice). Games I like to play. Sad to hear he's having trouble with it.
supergrafx77 wrote:... Just got Ketsui, and it runs fine of course. ....
The cab works fine.
supergrafx77 wrote:... Once again, motherboard seems to work, but just boots up in the "crosshatch," I can then cycle through the color adj., I/O Check, Sound Test, Memory Card Test, Backup Clear and Calendar, but that is all....

Can't seem to get to the main menu.
When a NEOGEO boots to a Crosshatch screen and then cycles through the HARDWARE Test Menu, that means that the board is not seeing the program rom on the cart. All NEOGEO boards do this when they can't see the program rom. This is "normal" behavior.
supergrafx77 wrote:.... I tried both w/ #1 dip setting in the on and off setting w/ all other dips in the off direction... still, no enchilada... :cry:
Dip Switch #1 is the Dip Switch for Entering / Exiting Test Mode. Flipping this DS to ON allows the user to enter the top level of the TEST MENU. At the top level of the TEST MENU there are more Menu options (like Soft Dips for the cab and cart(s)) that the user can select along with the HARDWARE Test Menu.
supergrafx77 wrote:Well, after plugging the cart back into the mvs1fz again and again, finally the game booted but was garbled graphics displayed and soon crashes thereafter...

On several reboots, I get the message Z80 error, so it looks like something is wrong with the motherboard...

Edit: now it is booting back to only the "crosshatch screen," again.... something is defiantly messed up with this board, I am getting the feeling...
Try the board with a different cart. See if the problem persists.

Board shipped with a Stock Bios on the board. A Uni-Bios or Neo Diagnostic Bios with cart is required to check hardware (without probing around).
supergrafx77 wrote:... The seller on neo-geo.com, said he, "had some spare time so replace a couple of the capacitors." hmmm.... wondering if this was to fix a problem now.

I found this link at neo-geo.com for z80 errors, and it says a cap repair wouldn't fix the issue, so all just seems weird. And there's a lot of hot glue smothered on the board, I am now noticing...
SNK uses TK brand caps. And the MV-1FZ boards come stock, from the factory, with Hot glue on the caps. The glue makes recapping this board difficult. Since I had some new caps laying around that were the same Voltage and Microfarad as the stock NG caps, I put these caps on the board. Only difference between these and the OEM TK caps is temperature rating. OEM NEO caps are rated for 85 deg., the caps I put on are rated for 105 deg.

Board tested fine. The second time I beat MS4 was after this.
Last edited by Tyranix95 on February 11th, 2014, 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 11th, 2014, 3:30 am

Tyranix95 wrote:supergrafx77 bought this NEO MV-1FZ from me. And we had a smooth txn. He has an open option for a return/refund.

Before I begin: This 1 Slot Jamma Neo board worked fine while in my possession. Gamed on it for a wile. Beat a few games on it: SS2, KOF97, MS4 (twice). Games I like to play.
supergrafx77 wrote:... Once again, motherboard seems to work, but just boots up in the "crosshatch," I can then cycle through the color adj., I/O Check, Sound Test, Memory Card Test, Backup Clear and Calendar, but that is all....

Can't seem to get to the main menu.
When a NEOGEO boots to a Crosshatch screen and then cycles through the HARDWARE Test Menu, that means that the board is not seeing the program rom on the cart. All NEOGEO boards do this when they can't see the program rom.

This is normal.
supergrafx77 wrote:.... I tried both w/ #1 dip setting in the on and off setting w/ all other dips in the off direction... still, no enchilada... :cry:
Dip Switch #1 is the Dip Switch for Entering / Exiting Test Mode. Flipping this DS to ON allows the user to enter the top level of the TEST MENU. At the top level of the TEST MENU there are more Menu options (like Soft Dips for the cab and cart(s)) that the user can select along with the HARDWARE Test Menu.
Hokuto wrote:Give the cart one hell of a cleaning, and be sure to clean the contacts on the slot as well.
I have carts that have done the same thing (either boot up with garbled graphics and sound, or give straight up a z80 error) and a good cleaning solved the problem. Make sure the cart is also making good contact.
Ok, thanks Hokuto and of course Tyranix (who has been great as well as totally informative to me all this time concerning the neo mvd system)! Tomorrow after work, I'll clean the MS3 cartridge contacts and see if it boots up and report back. I was contemplating while the MS3 cart was coming from Italy, to just grab a cheap mvd cart in the meantime, which I decided not to since I scooped Ketsui, but now regret it. I'm sure that's probably the problem now, just a dirty cart. Sorry about all this, I'm new to mvs.

User avatar
Tyranix95
Posts: 59
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 12:22 am
Location:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Tyranix95 » February 11th, 2014, 3:39 am

supergrafx77 wrote:... Ok, thanks Hokuto and of course Tyranix (who has been great as well as totally informative to me all this time concerning the neo mvd system)! Tomorrow after work, I'll clean the MS3 cartridge contacts and see if it boots up and report back. I was contemplating while the MS3 cart was coming from Italy, to just grab a cheap mvd cart in the meantime, which I decided not to since I scooped Ketsui, but now regret it. I'm sure that's probably the problem now, just a dirty cart. Sorry about all this, I'm new to mvs.
No worries.

---

Clean the cart contacts with either a PINK or White eraser, or with Brasso Metal Polish. Cart contacts should look nice and shiny. Imho, eraser is best bet: easy to find and very cost effective.

User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 11th, 2014, 3:52 am

Clean the cart contacts with either a PINK or White eraser, or with Brasso Metal Polish. Cart contacts should look nice and shiny. Imho, eraser is best bet: easy to find and very cost effective.[/quote]

I did not know that! I think I have a couple of those white erasers in the house. :awe:

User avatar
Tyranix95
Posts: 59
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 12:22 am
Location:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Tyranix95 » February 11th, 2014, 5:45 am

btw, if it helps any, I also played a LOT of BAM/PB on that board.

Never beat the game--too long--but had some good hour long sessions.

User avatar
supergrafx77
Posts: 48
Joined: February 26th, 2010, 12:25 am
Location: Maryland-USA
eBay: supergrafx77
Contact:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by supergrafx77 » February 11th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Tyranix95 wrote:btw, if it helps any, I also played a LOT of BAM/PB on that board.

Never beat the game--too long--but had some good hour long sessions.
This morning I took MS3 in to work and cleaned the contacts with the eraser as you prescribed. AMAZING how the oxidation basically is swept away and how instantly shiny they get close to their original form.... Although useless info, here's how they turned out:
Image
Image

I then swung home during lunch break to make a sandwich... as well as fire MS3 up, AND:
Image
So, basically, I'm a f'n idiot. But big thanks to everyone who chimed in as well as Tyranix who sold me the motherboard which obviously was always rock solid.

User avatar
Tyranix95
Posts: 59
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 12:22 am
Location:

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Tyranix95 » February 11th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Don't worry about it.

Glad to hear everything is working. :)

Hey, got to learn about the NEO sometime. :D

---

btw, carts legit. And nice cab.

User avatar
Hokuto
Posts: 82
Joined: June 29th, 2013, 8:44 am
Location: México
Initials: !__

Re: Neo MVS 1FZ + Cart (Can't run it!)

Post by Hokuto » February 12th, 2014, 12:15 am

Glad you got it sorted out man :)
Most of the time the problem can be either dirty contacts or not inserting the cart tightly; don't panic if you get only the cross hatch screen on bootup. And yes, the eraser does work like a charm indeed!!
No

Post Reply