CPS-2 Security pin?

PCB problems and fixes
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Re: CPS-2 Security pin?

Post by undamned »

I drill mine out. I have trouble with the pin spinning sometimes when the bit grabs the pin, so I carefully cut a slot on the other end of the pin with a dremel cutting wheel (not hard if you have dremel skills), so I can hold the pin in place with a slot-head screwdriver on one side and drill on the other. Makes for nice clean removal.
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

undamned wrote:I drill mine out. I have trouble with the pin spinning sometimes when the bit grabs the pin, so I carefully cut a slot on the other end of the pin with a dremel cutting wheel (not hard if you have dremel skills), so I can hold the pin in place with a slot-head screwdriver on one side and drill on the other. Makes for nice clean removal.
-ud
:) :thumbup:
Layer

Post by Layer »

Sorry to bump this topic, but finally, what is the best way to remove the "C" security bolt without drilling ?
Spork
Please Continue...

Post by Spork »

Drilling is the only way I've heard of to do it without damage other than a custom tool Capcom made you can't buy. It might be possible with a tool like a PLCC extractor. The way it's otherwise done is pry off the bottom part off with a flathead screwdriver going around in a circle. It will do some damage around the hole to the back shell piece, you can minimize it by going slow and just prying a tiny bit at a time. You might be able to put something down around it where the screwdriver hits the plastic to minimize the damage more, maybe holding an old credit card on top of where it will hit. I don't know if it will work.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

I've managed to pop several of these out simply by removing all of the torx screws and pulling the two case halves apart. If you're careful not to crack the case, the pin will just release and fall out.
ImageImageImageImage
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

idc wrote:I've managed to pop several of these out simply by removing all of the torx screws and pulling the two case halves apart. If you're careful not to crack the case, the pin will just release and fall out.
This. Sometimes they're not even held together very well and will almost fall apart. Other times it's like they're welded together.