CPS-2 Security pin?

PCB problems and fixes
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

CPS-2 Security pin?

Post by cthulhu »

Maybe a stupid question, but I've received a CPS-2 board today and I discovered a sort of security pin that's not present in my other boards...could someone please tell me how to remove it?

My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Rossyra
Supermod

Re: CPS-2 Security pin?

Post by Rossyra »

They just pull out with a bit of force, can be a real pain though.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Thanks! I think I was a bit too cautious...quite difficult to grab it and pull by the way.
My Arcade games

crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

It's just a pin and a collar, there's no thread or anything. I've found they're usually stuck fast and can be really tricky to remove without damaging the surrounding plastic.

The steel's pretty soft and the head of the collar or pin can be easily drilled off with an 6-8mm diameter bit but that's maybe a last resort.

Didn't Capcom have some special tool specifically for removing these pins?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

If you do drill it out you have to watch you don't melt the plastic (like I did once :oops: ). A nice new sharp bit will eat through it though.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Those pins are a complete bitch really.
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

I have always drilled them out in the past,capcom dropped the idea after D&D Tower of doom & replaced it with the screw / bolt type but that was only used on SSF2x / SSF2T & AvP they then left it open after that starting with darkstalkers.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Ahh, interesting. My SSF2X and AvP both just have a screw and nut on them. I just thought they'd been stuck in by a previous owner.
richy13
Ming the Merciless

Post by richy13 »

crunchywasp wrote:Ahh, interesting. My SSF2X and AvP both just have a screw and nut on them. I just thought they'd been stuck in by a previous owner.
I think capcom stopped using them because of all the different revisions as they started to rush games out of production in the 90s,I'm sure it must of been a right pain for them also.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

richy13 wrote:I think capcom stopped using them because of all the different revisions as they started to rush games out of production in the 90s,I'm sure it must of been a right pain for them also.
Imagine that, even Capcom might have thought it was a pain to use them. Maybe I'll try tomorrow to pull or drill it out.
My Arcade games

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Just go slowly with a drill. I've never managed to get one out cleanly with any sort of grab method, always damaged the plastic.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

cools wrote:Just go slowly with a drill. I've never managed to get one out cleanly with any sort of grab method, always damaged the plastic.
I will. I always first use a small drill and then a larger one, I also usually try to protect the surroundings using some duct tape. I've tried to grab it with some needle nose pliers, but I just couldn't grip the pin tightly...drilling seems to be the best way.
My Arcade games

Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

HAH! I just had that same issue yesterday, and was about to give up... and after cutting myself up, I discovered it was too damn easy. Just grab a flathead screwdriver and try to pop up the pins; preferably the bottom one because it's shorter, the other one will just fall by itself. Try doing it as if you were opening up a can (manually of course lol). Way easier than drilling/using pliers/etc.
No
richy13
Ming the Merciless

Post by richy13 »

Hokuto wrote:HAH! I just had that same issue yesterday, and was about to give up... and after cutting myself up, I discovered it was too damn easy. Just grab a flathead screwdriver and try to pop up the pins; preferably the bottom one because it's shorter, the other one will just fall by itself. Try doing it as if you were opening up a can (manually of course lol). Way easier than drilling/using pliers/etc.
Using a drill will stop any damage to the casing if done properly,there's no other way of getting into the pin without killing the plastic surrounding it.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Hokuto wrote:HAH! I just had that same issue yesterday, and was about to give up... and after cutting myself up, I discovered it was too damn easy. Just grab a flathead screwdriver and try to pop up the pins; preferably the bottom one because it's shorter, the other one will just fall by itself. Try doing it as if you were opening up a can (manually of course lol). Way easier than drilling/using pliers/etc.
Going to try that first...if it doesn't work for me, it's going to be drilling time.

Edit: Just popped it out using the smallest screwdriver I have...just a little bit of damage, but nothing I can't live with. The case is already in a bit of a rough condition anyway.
My Arcade games

idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Stick a steel rule in place along the edge of the recess with gaffer tape and pry against that with a screwdriver. Do it on the black half of the casing.

Other option is to leave it in and just remove all of the security torx screws. There's enough room to open the case like a crocodile's jaws and slide the board out if you're careful.
ImageImageImageImage
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

idc wrote:There's enough room to open the case like a crocodile's jaws and slide the board out if you're careful.
Do you need long, slender fingers and thumbs to do that or are normal hands ok? :whoopsie:
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

crunchywasp wrote:
idc wrote:There's enough room to open the case like a crocodile's jaws and slide the board out if you're careful.
Do you need long, slender fingers and thumbs to do that or are normal hands ok? :whoopsie:
Normal should do, although you could probably lever it out with your erect man-plank. :fastlove:
ImageImageImageImage
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

I'll give it a bash the next time I have one with a stiff pin :fastlove:
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

:shock:
...Let's pretend I didn't read anything.
No