Bootleg: Golden Axe

PCB problems and fixes
TECNOTHUNDERHEAD
Please Continue...
Bootleg: Golden Axe

Post by TECNOTHUNDERHEAD »

Hi,

Had this "boot" Golden Axe board for a while now, well, thought i'd take a chance considering it only
cost £27 delivered back then. Usually i do prefer "originals" in all honesty.

Anyway...getting to the point! The game boots up fine running through intro/demo screens etc & can select each character without problems. But for some really weird reason all 3 characters can "jump, move, run" as expected, but can not swipe/use weapons across those nasty baddies heads. I've tried reseating roms, cleaning edge connector, even though the boards in decent clean condition. So just wondered if any experts floating around might know what this player fault is perhaps! Any feedback would be fantastic & much appreciated for sure.

Regards,
PAUL :)

Ps: Am one of those enthusiasts who's bloody hopeless with anything to do with "soldering" etc. But then again, last time i attempted soldering was High School! The board was sold as "untested" originally. :(
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Re: Bootleg: Golden Axe

Post by ninn »

broken trace / chip / resistor on pin 22, 23 or 24 (button 1-3's pins on the jamma edge).

Follow the trace of the given button with a multimeter, or the eye. Most of the time you can eiterh see the issue right away, or it is one of the first chips the signal leads too.

I think someone connected to jamma edge the wrong way around and shot 12V down the player 1 and player2's button 2's trace.
Common issue with those games.

Visually inspect it.

No idea how you can fix it without solder or the right tools.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
TECNOTHUNDERHEAD
Please Continue...

Thanks for your advice Ninn!

I'll inspect the areas you mentioned & go from there. Maybe this is a good opportunity to try & save cash on repairs & pickup the tools i'll need myself heh! Suprised m'self recently, managing to discharge my first Nanao monitor on the old Astro. Again Ninn...appreciate help given!

PS: Think am gonna have to get another NAC for those glorious shmups down the line too. There's just about enough space for another. :D
trmatthe
-

Post by trmatthe »

Ninn's advice is your best bet.

Can you put the game into test and try a switch test?
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

You say 'jump move run' are working. So that means at least the following is not working?
- P1 Shot 1
- P1 Magic

Also, this game is not 'jamma' by default. I never saw a Golden Axe boot that was factory built for Jamma. They all used the System 16 pinout class on the edge connector.

Is there anything modded by wires on the edge connector, or are you using a System16 -> Jamma converter?
If the latter, the converter / loom may be missing some wires, or perhaps be miswired.

Depending on how well the bootleg is built, there may also be missing +5V points on the Jamma converter, causing some optical coupler(s) on the board not to work.
Sega isolated all the inputs on most of the boards to avoid coinup by voltage spike/abuse on the coin door.. :)

Take some pics of the jamma edge area, and you converter so we can see what is going on, and get you on your way to kill Death Adder.
TECNOTHUNDERHEAD
Please Continue...

I know it's an incredibly late response but here it goes. Just like to say many thanks to members who've responded to my calls with this bootleg. Basically i've bought an original sega 16 board now & gave this one to a friend, who got it working properly eventually.

So big thanks to," asure, trmatthe & ninn". Problem ended up being a broken trace btw.

Regards,
Paul :D