Official MAMEtopia PCB support/upgrades

PCB problems and fixes
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Official MAMEtopia PCB support/upgrade thread

Post by pubjoe »

...And your sure that any games are actually displaying in 15khz over vga and they're not just 1:1 pixel doubling?

I'm sure you can tell that it is in 15khz mode though, I know I'm probably just talking out of my ****!

What chassis have you got and with what tube? ...I can't remember what my egret2 has.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

R2-2D wrote:Thanks man.
Since i'm not that handy and all , can i f**k things up if i try this ?
Naaaah! :-) ...Well nothing irreversable (I think :?) , I'll try my best to help you out if you need to ask any questions.
dmauro
Please Continue...

Post by dmauro »

pubjoe wrote:...And your sure that any games are actually displaying in 15khz over vga and they're not just 1:1 pixel doubling?

I'm sure you can tell that it is in 15khz mode though, I know I'm probably just talking out of my ****!

What chassis have you got and with what tube? ...I can't remember what my egret2 has.
:P yeah it's definitely 15KHz. That's the Wei Ya 3129a chassis with the stock Astro City tube. But I'm also testing all of these out with the MS8 chassis and tube in my other Astro City.
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

I have a few emulators installed on my Mametopia PCB of which I can close the game and return to the gamelist by pressing a button. These are Stella, Zsnes and Rocknes. In these emu's I have the possibility to assign the escape function of the emulator to a button. so no problems there.

But wit other emulators I have no luck so far, mainly because the emu's themself don't let me assign the Escape key, like Magic Engine, Fusion and Dgen.
what do I have to do to be able to close a playing game and return to the gamelist? I read the Mala manual, and tried a dozen things including xpadder, but without luck.
pubjoe
Re: Official MAMEtopia PCB support/upgrades

Post by pubjoe »

I can't copy and paste the link because I'm on my phone. But on the last page or two of the mametopia news thread, someone posted a link to a macro program. It looks to be just what the doctor ordered actually, I never thought it ideal that you can easily (and accidently) quit by touching the two start buttons. With the macro thing, it looks like you can bind the action "hold 2 joypad buttons for X seconds" to trigger Alt+F4.
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

Thanks, found the link.

But I also found another tool with which you can easily map joystick buttons to keys: joy to key.

with this utility I mapped one of the pushbuttons to ESC, and now I can close the emu's I had problems with and return to the gamelist in Mala.
So my problem is fixed.
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

ckong wrote:Thanks, found the link.

But I also found another tool with which you can easily map joystick buttons to keys: joy to key.

with this utility I mapped one of the pushbuttons to ESC, and now I can close the emu's I had problems with and automatically return to the gamelist in Mala.
So my problem is fixed.
.....almost.

To autostart the joytokey tool, I placed it in the startup folder. And when I power up the mametopia PCB this tool starts also..... as long as instantsheller is not activated. When instantsheller is activated (to boot up Mala), joytokey doesn't autostart :(

Solution: Install autoit (freeware), make a script to run Mala and joytokey (this script is only two lines long, I edited an available sample), convert with autoit the script to an exe, and point instantsheller to the exe.

Problem solved, when I now power up the Mametopia pcb, Mala starts and joytokey starts. :P
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

If that were to fail I'd have suggested uninstalling instantsheller and reinstalling it, telling it to run a batch file with joytokey then mala :)

I'd also recommend xpadder over joytokey since it seems to get around directinput quite nicely, though if it's working no worries :)

-Joel
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

+1 on the xpadder....its much better, and the interface is great
on the loose
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Perhaps you might want to stuff all this info/manuals into the wiki?

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/wiki/index.php/MAMEtopia :awe:
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Not a bad idea :)

I'll start transferring the info tonight.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Xenepp wrote:Not a bad idea :)

I'll start transferring the info tonight.
We'll expect it in 2010 then. :D

Only joking. I actually started wring a couple of upgrade guides a while ago (that I was going to post here). ...Could stick them on too if you want.

P.S. I put a radeon 4000 series graphics card on GGPO and got SFIV playing beautifully.

P.P.S. Joel, please can you give me a clue about what I need to do to get mametopia online / Networked.
mission
Please Continue...

Post by mission »

Can i use a arkanoid spinner with this mame setup , does it plug in like a joystick on my astro ?

Cheers.
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

For a spinner or any other device than a digital joystick you'll need to use some kind of converter via USB. I'm sure Ultimarc do these.
pubjoe wrote:
Only joking. I actually started wring a couple of upgrade guides a while ago (that I was going to post here). ...Could stick them on too if you want.
Cool, yeah the more the merrier, I actually want to start laying out the wiki page but I've never done that before so I'm looking around as to how it's usually done later today :)
P.S. I put a radeon 4000 series graphics card on GGPO and got SFIV playing beautifully.
Very cool :D
P.P.S. Joel, please can you give me a clue about what I need to do to get mametopia online / Networked.
This is a bit more difficult, like I said a while back I'm not sure if the required services are running since I disabled a bunch of them to keep load time/windows speed up. You might try going to control panel > administrator tools > services

Just find anything that looks like a network service that isn't enabled and enable it. If you are in doubt, don't mess with it, just check what the service is here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

-Joel
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Thanks for all the suggestions Joel. I'll give it a go and let you know if I achieve anything.

"SFIV on GGPO", I think I went a bit mad there! (GGPO on the brain) I meant that I got SFIV running on mametopia... I think you realised that though. :oops:
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

anyone got any ideas with this problem?

When I play some vert games, they come on up side down and some play the right way.

Is there a way to filp the picture back to the right way??

Cheers
Adam :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
mission
Please Continue...

Post by mission »

Press the forth button , the menu should come up.
Select VIDEO OPTION then you can rotate the screen by pushing left or right on the joystick

Last edited by mission on July 23rd, 2009, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Hi dude,

Thanks, thats what I wanted, will go and try it out now.

And your playing Twin Cobra. TOP game

Also, did you get the cab (New Astro City) withe the serial no above the top left speaker on the front ending xxx37?

If you did, that was a great NAC. I was no. 1 on the list and I would say that was equally as good as mine but the 1 player panel on mine swayed it for me!

Mine and yours must of been in the same arcade as mine has the same serial no on the front, left speaker reading xxxx36! :D HAHAHA :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
mission
Please Continue...

Post by mission »

xxx37 Here :D :D 8-) 8-) really nice cab
Thank god the astro has an amp , because i can`t get a peep out of joel`s amp :?
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

mission wrote:xxx37 Here :D :D 8-) 8-) really nice cab
Thank god the astro has an amp , because i can`t get a peep out of joel`s amp :?

Indeed, xxxx37 was a lovely cab and had a as new CP! :D

How did you get the Astro amp to work with the MAME PCB?

MIne has an amp in it as well.

Any images would be great as the amp supplied is very quiet! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats