SYSTEM246 DEAD

PCB problems and fixes
leonardoliveira
Initials: leo

Re: SYSTEM246 DEAD

Post by leonardoliveira » February 19th, 2013, 5:55 pm

My 246 looks exactly like this :

http://newastrocity.files.wordpress.com ... m246-6.png"

And the only battery it has is that CR2032 that one can see on the picture.

The other picture has a daughterboard with RAMs in it. The part on the middle of the picture is NOT a battery but an electrolytic capacitor.

Edit: wow I see it now on the corner, right under the metal cage.

My set doesn't have that battery.

andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer » February 19th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Got a couple of tc3 PCBs and they are both C racks. Anyway there is only one cr2032 on these so I popped the battery out and popped another one in and low and behold it still worked. :shifty:

I hate sys246 such a flakey system. Personally I want more than a beep at startup. Would like Naomi style frontend.

Also thing is fussy on DVD drives. God I hate optical media. :problem:
Say hello to my little friend...

leonardoliveira

Post by leonardoliveira » February 19th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Okay guys I know a LOT about retail PS2 hardware and I will tell what I know about the 246 I have here and a little about what I seen on the pictures:

My 246 system has a COH-31100 as "core" and that unit in turn is based on SONY "GH-006" board (Sony call it "Type C chassis"). It's a set where the retail version has the sub board (the board with the PS2 Syscon) attached to the plastic body of the unit. Because of that, the SONY sub board parts are living on the NAMCO board, including the Syscon, real time clock and half of the power circuitry of the PS2 core.

The battery on the NAMCO board (on my case) is for the PS2 core real time clock.

One of the pictures posted has what looks to be a GH-004 or GH-005 board ("Type B chassis") which has the sub board attached to the main board through screws, a connector and 4 solder points. The battery on the sub board for the PS2 set is for the real time clock. I've disassembled several early (US launch) retail PS2 consoles of the "B type" to replace the said battery. If it wears out, the PS2 is no longer able to keep the time and the swirling electrons will stop spinning.

On the case of the arcade board it's very likely to at most cause issues with book keeping.

Can the OP please post pictures of his own hardware ? I am unable to offer further help without them.

subbie

Post by subbie » February 20th, 2013, 1:52 am

leonardoliveira wrote: Edit: wow I see it now on the corner, right under the metal cage.

My set doesn't have that battery.
=) Yeah it's a bit hidden (not my picture, if I could find my old RR5 pictures I have a clearer picture of a simular pcb). Anyways that pcb only exist on rack A units (*) and some really old (rare) early rack B units.

(*) Rack A unit games: Ridge Racer 5, Wangan Midnight, Bloody Roar 3 & Vampire Night
Namco System 246/256/357 Software List
******** Help Fill in the blanks *******
http://www.smalllinks.com/P60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leonardoliveira

Post by leonardoliveira » February 20th, 2013, 2:13 pm

subbie wrote: (*) Rack A unit games: Ridge Racer 5, Wangan Midnight, Bloody Roar 3 & Vampire Night
Rack A being older explains SONY using the GH-004 motherboard to build the COH unit core. That also means the NAMCO board for Rack A is VERY different. ;)

Out of curiosity, is the COH unit on Rack A named "COH-30100" ?

VIDEOTRONICS
eBay: VIDEOTRONICSUK
Initials: MHP

Post by VIDEOTRONICS » February 20th, 2013, 10:53 pm

pics enclosed of 2 different boards

both worked fine in time crisis 3 twin crt machine

in test mode had message battery dead

changed cr2032 battery

blank screen both boards, load alarm noise

testing with namco jamma convertor and tekken 4

blank screen

1 pcb comes up with boot file error

leonardoliveira

Post by leonardoliveira » February 21st, 2013, 11:39 pm

Obviously you removed the board assembly from the cage.

One thing I noticed is that it's EXTREMELY easy to destroy the black flexible cable which connect the PS2 board to the controllers/memory cards connector.

Have that part checked throughly.

dion

Post by dion » February 22nd, 2013, 12:03 pm

andygeezer wrote:Pretty sure namco added something to time crisis 3. You can't simply use the CD and dongle on another rack. Knowing namco they probably use some key held in CMOS. Hence removing the cr2032 killed it.

Battle gear 4 games suffer from a similar issue.
nope. i have used another rack to replace tc3 several times and have no problem at all. it is true that tc3 dvdrom selections are somehow different than any other games.

leonardoliveira

Post by leonardoliveira » February 22nd, 2013, 5:23 pm

The most annoying thing about System 246 and modern DVD drives is that the said drives have a feature where it spins down the disc after a while, even if the drive is in use.

Meaning that after a few minutes the disc is spinning and the host does not issue commands the drive will either slow down the disc or stop it completely. The System 246 board may not send a read request for a long time (during a fight demo on Tekken 4, for example) and after the fight is over the machine will need to load more data.
Then it issues a read command which then times out because the System 246 doesn't wait for the drive to spin up the disc again. Game crashes and you have to power cycle the whole set.

The reason NAMCO had that specific Toshiba drive on the units is that the said drive does not stop the disc at all. I only got my 246 to work properly after I found some early Pioneer DVD writer/burner which would still read discs and did not attempt to stop the disc after a while. That drive works reasonably well with the 246.

And I bet most of the early DVD-ROM or DVD-R drives are usable for the same reason.

Dirtyjeepgirl

Post by Dirtyjeepgirl » August 18th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Ok i know this is an old post. Dealing with the same problem myself and does not seam there was a conclusion unless i missed a post.

I to had changed a battery on a working time crissis 3 board, after i booted it back i got this screaming alarm sound. I was like o crap this game has a suicide battery. So i did a battery jummper on my other 6 boards i was working on "waste of time". Turns out when i was putting the pcb back in the cage the black flat cable then goes up to the dongle got caught and pulled out of the socket. So if anyone has the same problem the board is not seeing your dongle for one reasion or another.

System 246 board does not have a suicide battery. Tested that theory after i found the cable disconected.

Some had mentioned the security dongle might be specific to the board. This is not true u can interchange usa eng security dong around with other boards. Im sure it is the same for Japanese boards as well. However i doubt you can use a usa dongle in a Japanese boards and Viceversa.

Also someone had mentioned the cd/dvd disk might be married to the board this is not true the cd can be interchangeable from usa board to usa board and Japanese board to Japanese board. Howhever i dont think you can use a Japanese cd in usa game.

purplec

Post by purplec » August 21st, 2016, 9:19 am

246 A does I believe. The one that is used on RRV

leonardoliveira

Post by leonardoliveira » August 29th, 2016, 5:00 am

Security dongles are not board specific. The "wah wah wah" sound os made by the PS2 BIOS when it can't load a bootfile from a dongle. You should hear two or three chines then the game should try to load stuff from the disc.

Some games do exit to BIOS when they error out. You will hear the "wah wah wah" if that happens.

The NAMCO board doesn't allow the PS2 board video to reach the monitor before JVS init is done and since the JVS firmware is loaded by the program in the dongle, the only cue you will have for problems is the "wah wah wah" sound.

Lastly, Konami Python1 does have "suicide battery" behavior programmed in it. System 246 doesn't.