leonardoliveira & Idc's clean decrypted roms

PCB problems and fixes
User avatar
MrSandman
Posts: 245
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Location: Germany
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by MrSandman »

idc wrote:The cards hold a CR2032 type battery and I believe that the software is indeed written in BASIC. Interface with the CPS2 B-board is likely SPI.

Edit: Here's the "last piece of hardware" to which Razoola refers (sorry for crappy iPad pics):
Image
Image
Image
Wow, that is so cool. Hope with this piece of HW you will be able to figure out how to upload the security keys.
M. Bison wrote: I’ll **** you till you love me faggot
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:Wow, that is so cool. Hope with this piece of HW you will be able to figure out how to upload the security keys.
Well it could come to nothing, who knows, but having this is better than having nothing. Hopefully we can glean some useful information from it.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
MrSandman
Posts: 245
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Location: Germany
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by MrSandman »

So you have both, the PDA and the box?

TBH, I have always imagined some simpler setup - this looks like it could be used to launch nuclear missiles or something.

Did somebody donate these things to you or did you find them on eBay or Yahoo, if I may ask?
M. Bison wrote: I’ll **** you till you love me faggot
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:So you have both, the PDA and the box?
No, I just have the box. The PDA is in the hands of another user. I won't reveal his name, but perhaps he will make himself known soon.

I can confirm that both pieces of hardware came from Capcom Mexico.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
kernow
:problem: child
Posts: 14958
Joined: August 17th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Location: Devon
Initials: KRN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by kernow »

idc wrote:
MrSandman wrote:So you have both, the PDA and the box?
No, I just have the box. The PDA is in the hands of another user. I won't reveal his name, but perhaps he will make himself known soon.

I can confirm that both pieces of hardware came from Capcom Mexico.
THE SOURCE
David... The wind blows... The wind blows... Bits of your... life awayee
User avatar
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
Posts: 4567
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by FrancoB »

:lol:
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

FrancoB wrote: :lol:
:lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
MrSandman
Posts: 245
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Location: Germany
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by MrSandman »

idc wrote:
MrSandman wrote:So you have both, the PDA and the box?
No, I just have the box. The PDA is in the hands of another user. I won't reveal his name, but perhaps he will make himself known soon.

I can confirm that both pieces of hardware came from Capcom Mexico.
But there is no manual explaining how to use both items?

Capcom Mexico... :think:...a former employee?
M. Bison wrote: I’ll **** you till you love me faggot
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:But there is no manual explaining how to use both items?
Of course there's no manual, it's kit made in-house, not mass produced. If there ever was a manual, it was probably hand written on a notepad, or at best a typewritten sheet.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
jepjepjep
Posts: 149
Joined: July 16th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Location: California

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by jepjepjep »

idc wrote:
CPS2 wrote:Please explain.
Decrypted Rockman 1. If you look, you can see that it's running using SFA3 decrypted driver, it's what Leo uses to test his ROMs. ;)
Awesome news!
User avatar
WilalvesBR
Posts: 36
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Location: Brazil
eBay: WilalvesBR
Initials: WIL

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by WilalvesBR »

idc wrote:
Spectre wrote:Cool, I bet razoola would be interested in this too 8-)
I don't think Razoola gives much of a **** about CPS2 anymore. He's certainly not creating new Phoenix ROM sets, although I bet he'll still accept payment for games he's already done.

For the record, another user here (whom I won't name unless he wishes to come forward in this thread) and I are actively creating new "clean" decrypted sets - for free, I should add. We also have some interest in the security key programming protocol for the encryption keys so that dead games can be re-flashed with the with the security data rather than using hacked ROMs. This board might be useful.
Awesome news!!

leonardoliveira wrote:No fancy menus, no clutter, no dumb/odd A.I. Plays exactly like the original which has suicide battery.

If someone is worried about counterfeits being made out of this, it's up to the buyers to look for MASK ROMS, battery, CAPCOM security seals and pins.

The goal is give people freedom from the tyranny of the suicide battery.
It's a dream coming true!!


Can't wait to see some Brazil region CPS2 boards correctly revived/preserved!!
User avatar
Artemio
Please Continue...
Posts: 120
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 1:49 am
Location: México
eBay: gseed
Initials: AUG
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by Artemio »

Yes, we hope something can be done. And Yes, I am the guy that sent the PDA and cards photos.
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

Artemio wrote:Yes, we hope something can be done. And Yes, I am the guy that sent the PDA and cards photos.
And here he is. :awe:
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
Posts: 8399
Joined: February 10th, 2012, 2:51 pm
Location: Fife, Scotland
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by crunchywasp »

What was the name of your boss at SNK and do you still have the payslips?

Wrong thread? What?

:spam: :spam:

:awe:
Image
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

crunchywasp wrote:What was the name of your boss at SNK and do you still have the payslips?

Wrong thread? What?

:spam: :spam:

:awe:
:lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
IDCHAPPY
c***3
Posts: 2726
Joined: May 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm
Location: Edinburgh
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by IDCHAPPY »

The Reveal :awe:
User avatar
MrSandman
Posts: 245
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Location: Germany
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by MrSandman »

idc wrote:
MrSandman wrote:But there is no manual explaining how to use both items?
Of course there's no manual, it's kit made in-house, not mass produced. If there ever was a manual, it was probably hand written on a notepad, or at best a typewritten sheet.
"Of course" ... is not clear to me (n00b), sorry.
Please fill me in :)
M. Bison wrote: I’ll **** you till you love me faggot
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:
idc wrote:
MrSandman wrote:But there is no manual explaining how to use both items?
Of course there's no manual, it's kit made in-house, not mass produced. If there ever was a manual, it was probably hand written on a notepad, or at best a typewritten sheet.
"Of course" ... is not clear to me (n00b), sorry.
Please fill me in :)
No worries. Basically, these units existed in very small numbers, like less than ten. We're talking in the region of two in Mexico, two in the USA, two in Europe and two in Japan. I don't know the exact numbers, but that estimate probably isn't far off the mark. ;)

I'd suspect that the majority have since been destroyed with the closure of numerous continental Capcom Coin-Op offices.

They were probably all designed, made and assembled by one guy, and it's plausible that any instructions for their use would likely have been trained out verbally. Any details that may have been written down or printed would have probably been stored away "safely", not generally accessible the the employees who actually operated the equipment, and have probably been lost or destroyed over time.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
MrSandman
Posts: 245
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Location: Germany
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by MrSandman »

idc wrote: No worries. Basically, these units existed in very small numbers, like less than ten. We're talking in the region of two in Mexico, two in the USA, two in Europe and two in Japan. I don't know the exact numbers, but that estimate probably isn't far off the mark. ;)

I'd suspect that the majority have since been destroyed with the closure of numerous continental Capcom Coin-Op offices.

They were probably all designed, made and assembled by one guy, and it's plausible that any instructions for their use would likely have been trained out verbally. Any details that may have been written down or printed would have probably been stored away "safely", not generally accessible the the employees who actually operated the equipment, and have probably been lost or destroyed over time.
Is this procedure confirmed, hearsay or educated guessing?

What if a unit becomes un-useable (falls down, breaks etc.), weren't there any replacement parts?
M. Bison wrote: I’ll **** you till you love me faggot
User avatar
idc
Posts: 1335
Joined: October 16th, 2008, 9:17 pm
Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
Initials: IAN
Contact:

Re: CPS2 Development PCB - SFZ

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:
idc wrote:Is this procedure confirmed, hearsay or educated guessing?

What if a unit becomes un-useable (falls down, breaks etc.), weren't there any replacement parts?
Well I used words such as "estimate", "suspect", "probably" and "plausible". Based upon information I was given, so you could call it educated guessing. We'll likely never know for sure.

As for spare parts, I have no idea. These units do appear to use a lot of "off the shelf" parts, so I'd say they probably had the technical know-how in order to repair.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
Post Reply