Mametopia questions

PCB problems and fixes
masterturk
Please Continue...

Mametopia questions

Post by masterturk »

I accuired a mametopia pcb on here quite some time ago but having now upgraded my pc i thought i may as well make use of my old mobo and try my hand at maming...

After installing mala and all that jazz i plugged in the mametopia i noticed that the extra header where it says power reset didnt work? My hdd is connected through the mobo...

I dont know what the atx connector is on the mametopia...

After connecting it all i powered it on i get dual screens then once windows loads it all goes fuzzy maybe some issues with my monitor who knows?

I have it running on my astrocity cab any help would be fantastic cheers guys

some pics:

FINAL...
purplec

Re: Mametopia questions

Post by purplec »

It looks like its set to 24khz, I remember having this before with Using quick res on certain monitors it needed to be set to pal or NTSC .
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

purplec wrote:It looks like its set to 24khz, I remember having this before with Using quick res on certain monitors it needed to be set to pal or NTSC .
Hey

I have tried changing the resolution many times and i finally came up with a stable picture 680x480, but lastly its still comes up as the first pic split in two halves...

I tried looking at my monitor how do i know what khz it is i cant see anything with numbers.. It does have a serial number sticker on it tho.
FINAL...
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

If you run standard jamma pcbs in the cab, it will be 15k. It's unlikely the monitor has been set to 24k.

640 x 480 is 31k. If you have a stock astro monitor, then you either need to use soft 15k or a newer version of mame that supports 15k resolutions, which are approx 320 x 240
purplec

Post by purplec »

The mametopia is probably set to a different res not the monitor.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

For the avoidance of any doubt let's establish some basics to make this easier:

1: What resolution is the monitor
2: How do you have this hooked up to the cab, jamma edge or VGA
3: Are you running a standard mametopia image or have you changed it in any way

If you don't know the answer to number 1, do you play any pcbs, if so which ones. Have you ever had the monitor running with a full picture etc.
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

markedkiller78 wrote:For the avoidance of any doubt let's establish some basics to make this easier:

1: What resolution is the monitor
2: How do you have this hooked up to the cab, jamma edge or VGA
3: Are you running a standard mametopia image or have you changed it in any way

If you don't know the answer to number 1, do you play any pcbs, if so which ones. Have you ever had the monitor running with a full picture etc.
I will have a look at the monitor, the mamtopia header lights don't turn on so i don't know what that's about the little panel with the power and reset.

I have this hooked via the jamma edge of the mametopia pcb connected via vga from pcb to computer. I have tried the soft15khz and it still has the split image i also tried different resolutions to no avail..

I play street fighter hyper, tmnt both, moonwalker sf2hf.. When playing these games it does use all of the screen hope that helps
FINAL...
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Wrong res. Chase up soft15khz to make sure it's working, or try GroovyMAME or something.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

cools wrote:Wrong res. Chase up soft15khz to make sure it's working, or try GroovyMAME or something.
What he said.

You've got a 15k monitor, you need to make sure mame is outputting a 15k picture.
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

Ok so I got this sorted by buying a decent graphics card supported by soft15khz

My question for the final part how do I set the controls? Do I need a encoder? I have 2 USB slots on the mametopia board, I tried playing around but nothing..
FINAL...
purplec

Post by purplec »

They are not USB cables put they should be just plug and play. Somebody may have been messing with the system.
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

purplec wrote:They are not USB cables put they should be just plug and play. Somebody may have been messing with the system.
Thats what I thought it should work with the jamma connector connected... I've tried the general controls and it doesn't recognise the joystick or buttons.. :/
FINAL...
purplec

Post by purplec »

Try and get a backup of a working unit in the uk
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

purplec wrote:Try and get a backup of a working unit in the uk
What does the header thing do the little control panel? The lights don't even come on that thing doesn't even work..
It seems it's for the hardrive? But that's connected to the pc anway... What will the backup do?
FINAL...
purplec

Post by purplec »

The header board is for powering on and accessing the system menu, I think volume also.

A back up of the system will allow you to restore everything to default in case anybody messed with the software, it will help with your fault finding also.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Windows should detect virtual USB joysticks. I remember the USB thing being a pain to detect sometimes though. You have to connect both mametopia USB ports to two USB ports on the motherboard, but sometimes it seemed picky about which way round and in which order you connect them.
masterturk
Please Continue...

Post by masterturk »

Can someone help i bought a usb A to A lead and it doesnt work i just need to set the controls on the mametopia and thats it :)
FINAL...
tenrohle
Please Continue...

Post by tenrohle »

had the same problem with 1 of these. sadly gave up in the end !
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Sorry Masterturk, I thought for a few days about the same question you asked me via PM, and then ended up forgetting to reply. :palm:

I meant to at least suggest that you put it on this thread though as hopefully someone will now chime in.

Come to think of it, I think the USB Xennepp used may have been custom. I do remember that even with the originally supplied leads I sometimes had problems with windows identifying joysticks. Unplugging them and swapping ports around seemed to solve the problem.

P.S. You could always try contacting Xennepp/retrorepair through here somewhere:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RetroRepair"
purplec

Post by purplec »

They are defo custom and not off the shelf wired.