Quick Naomi 2 query re networking & icons

PCB problems and fixes
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray
Quick Naomi 2 query re networking & icons

Post by Parris »

I purchased a second hand Naomi 2 motherboard from Andy Geezer (all went excellently, as per usual). I am currently using 'Virtua Fighter 4' on GDrom and 2 things happen that I am not familiar with, and I don't have the VF4 manual or N2 manuals to check against (I have access to a Japanese PDF of the VF4 title, but it is no help).

Q1:

When the title is loading I get a networking search that takes ages. When I finally switched the unit on, I switched off networking option, but as my DIMM currently has no battery installed, each time I switch it on the unit goes through this damned networking search. Any way to completely switch it off, is it just a feature of the title or will inserting a DIMM battery solve the issue?

Q2:

Unfamiliar with the 3 icons found at the very bottom of the screen on extreme left and right hands of the screen. Anyone know what they are exactly? The first one looks like an antenna, so is this some kind of weird image re the networking plus, 2 of the images look like credit cards. Are they for card readers or something?

Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Re: Quick Naomi 2 query re networking & icons

Post by Akuma »

Iirc that are the card reader icons, meaning that you don't got a cardreader connected. Maybe one of the icons also stands for no internet connection - not sure. Check the game settings menu for card reader options : )
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Go into the test menu, and in there is the DIMM test settings.

Turn the networking bit off & it should bootup a bit quicker.

I turned mine on once & got so **** off it took so long, I turned it back off.

IIRC it changes the Naomi splash screen to something like Naomi 2 Network
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Thanks - I think I did initially set the network section of the DIMM / Test page to OFF, however it may be a case of inserting a DIMM battery to ensure it doesn't keep doing it as the next boot was exactly the same.

You are right! With it testing for network it takes bloody ages to get anywhere.

Will also check for card reader options. Didn't spot them first time around. Thank you!
footix
Please Continue...

Post by footix »

1st on the left bottom is the link status, means no link is present.

The two others mention no card reader has been found (respectively for P1 and P2).
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

footix wrote:1st on the left bottom is the link status, means no link is present.

The two others mention no card reader has been found (respectively for P1 and P2).
Danke! I thought they probably did, as heck they were graphic representations. Everyone has confirmed this. Now to just switch them off!