bomb jack graphic probs !

PCB problems and fixes
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

bomb jack graphic probs !

Post by geotrig »

Ok turned this on today and all was ok until i lost my first life and it hung ! so rebooted and it took couple of reboots before it came on proper again, so it was grand again for about 10 mins and then garbled/bad sprites graphics :( any ideas ? before i even set this up i checked all voltages the 5v was at 5.02 i droped the 5v to 4.8something and i get errors on the ram when booting so it obviously need 5v's as it check them ok when its around the 5v.
some bad pics of the screen !
P1016206.JPG
P1016201.JPG
you might also notice that its upside down ! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Re: bomb jack graphic probs !

Post by geotrig »

anyone have any ideas ?even where i could start ?
:cry:
I'm going to try and reseat all the roms tonight anyway and have a really good look at the board
If i remove a eprom and boot the board(Presumeing it is ok to do this ? would that tell me if a certain rom is bad ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

kernow wrote:It might not even boot, but yeah removing and reseating the eproms is a start. Is the board sagging at all? I remember my friends one the original board is a two layer thing, maybe theres a broken solder joint somewhere, try pushing down on the IC's lightly with your thumb while it's running also.
yeah was thinking that but its worth try ,I did push down on a couple of roms and ics's last night, but nothing was happening but i will spend a bit more time on it tonight and try and check tehm all !

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

ok so i have gone through pretty much all the removeable parts from this board the board booted with most removed but not all ,but anyway
The Eprom in BJ4 when removed booted and although their was parts missing the fuzzyness static from around the sides where gone ,this was the only one that this happened with !obviously it was missing other bits with this out but mainly stuff all around the edges was gone !so maybe it could be this eprom the rest of the game play ok and seems ok from what i can tell anyway !

now anyone know where i can get a hn462732g eprom programmed for this 24 pin ?or one similar?
P1016212.JPG
edit: added pic of pcb with bj 4 removed ! as you cna see aload of the background colour is gone but also the fuzzyness from around the sides
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geotrig on September 15th, 2011, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

I tested /verified the rom last night and it was ok!So fast forward to this morning and having 10mins to spare i reseated the rom again (Done this loads of time already)and powered up.

It was all the same when going through its boot screen with the side fuzziness /static as expected but then half way through its bootup it stopped been
fuzzy :wtf: and booted up and looked normal ! only thing is jack is a bit white instead of red ! I could live with that i will give a poke around at the board this evening any and see if it may be track related dry joint etc ! unless someone else has some other suggestions !

matt
Please Continue...
eBay: msephton

Post by matt »

Are the connectors clean on the board and your adapter?
Is the wiring good on your adapter?
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

well the adapeter is made from brand new parts. I actually haven't cleaned the boards edge :palm: must have a look at that this eveing.

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

So got it going again friday night and it lasted for about an 20-30mins and the same on sunday.

So to sum up it sometimes boots ok ! The times it doesn’t, there seems to be a graphic issue as pictured above and this seems to be only related to background graphics as the fuzzy /issue is gone when rom4 removed, obvisously the backgraound are gone then as well ! The Rom tests and verifies ok !I waiting on a replacement to burn and try it.
I've checked the board edge connector an gave it a clean and it seems ok.Had a look at everthing around the board and there has been a good bit of repair done before

So I am going to first off de-solder and rebuild the Jamma adapter just to be sure !
Reburn Rom4 when I get a replacement .
Have a closer look at some of the areas that have been repaired before
After that give up, jump on the board ,bash with a hammer and buy a new one !only joking this board is not going to get the better of me !

VectorGlow
eBay: realflight

Post by VectorGlow »

How are the voltages when the corruption and fuzzyness occurs?

I'm wondering if a poor connection is causing a voltage drop and subsequent problems.

That would also account for the problem sometimes being absent for a while.

Hard to say for sure though, but I'd start with the edge connector, ie ensure it's clean, that the JAMMA adaptor is making good contact, etc.
Arcade game board repairer
matt
Please Continue...

Post by matt »

Phil, just in case you didn't know: I bought this board from you in 2008 and since then it's sat in dry storage in the box you shipped it in. I recently unwrapped it, photographed it and sold it to geotrig.
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

No, I didn't know that. It's a small world. :)

Three years is a long time in storage - I've lost count of the number of boards (my own and others) that have sadly developed faults when they haven't been used for ages. It's a fairly common occurrence and puzzles many. :(

The simplest explanation is perhaps coincidence, ie the faulty chip had to die at some time, and the 'pressure' of having been warm (when last used), then cooled off for ages, then having power applied simply killed it (I'm assuming here that a chip has bitten the dust). It could even be down to a dodgy connection that has become worse when it was in the post, or perhaps an infinitely tiny bit of corrosion that has worsened over the years. Electrolytic capacitors also dry out (I mention this just out of interest).

I know you said it's been stored dry, but even a very tiny amount of moisture can creep up the legs of poorly made old ICs and rot them from within.

Hard to be sure of course without seeing it. :)

In fact, here's an idea - this isn't something which I'd normally do (given the potential issues outlined above) plus the fact that the repair was carried out 3 years ago, but as the board hasn't been used since I sent it to you I'll offer a free repair, but geotrig must pay postage both ways (plus the cost of any parts used).
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

That is a very generous offer from you Phil ! :clap:
I do totaly agree with you here , this is an old old board and these things are to be expected!
And as badly as I described it above it does show signs of working when it feels like it ! :lol:

VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

No problem at all, once you've finished rebuilding the harness give me a yell if you still have problems. :)
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

Bombjack received and repaired.

Faults were as follows:

- Bad logic chip
- EPROM starting to fail

Also replaced a missing EPROM label.

Also re-tested with my own Bombjack adaptor as it has all the wires connected.

So all done! :)
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

VectorGlow wrote:Bombjack received and repaired.

Faults were as follows:

- Bad logic chip
- EPROM starting to fail

Also replaced a missing EPROM label.

Also re-tested with my own Bombjack adaptor as it has all the wires connected.

So all done! :)
:awe:

that was just my lazy **** harness rebuilding skills :oops:

btw was it rom 4 that was failing ?

FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Nice one VG :D

Another 100% working Bomb Jack makes me happy :)
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

geotrig wrote: :awe:

that was just my lazy **** harness rebuilding skills :oops:

btw was it rom 4 that was failing ?
I forget which number it was - it was one of the sprite EPROMs on the lower board (and a logic chip).
Last edited by VectorGlow on October 11th, 2011, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt
Please Continue...

Post by matt »

:awe:

Excellent, nice work Phil.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I have issues reading the eproms on my bombjack, I get different checksums each time, and even tried two different eprom readers to no avail. I have the original eproms, M5L2764K. On the PCB they work perfectly.

If anyone is interested, I patched the game to run in "correct" orientation, as I didn't want to swap the yoke wires. Works great, except there seems to be a hardware bug when it comes to the attract screen - doesn't happen in MAME, and natively the attract screen is never shown in this orientation.

http://kirurg.org/webimg/bombjack-off-by-one.jpg"
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
VectorGlow

Post by VectorGlow »

invzim wrote:I have issues reading the eproms on my bombjack, I get different checksums each time, and even tried two different eprom readers to no avail. I have the original eproms, M5L2764K. On the PCB they work perfectly.
I've had all kinds of problems with those particular Mitsubishi EPROMs (both programming AND reading them) - not all of them, but the greater proportion.
If anyone is interested, I patched the game to run in "correct" orientation, as I didn't want to swap the yoke wires. Works great, except there seems to be a hardware bug when it comes to the attract screen - doesn't happen in MAME, and natively the attract screen is never shown in this orientation.

http://kirurg.org/webimg/bombjack-off-by-one.jpg"[/url]
Good work - did you come up with the patch?