Have I killed my CPS2 board?

PCB problems and fixes
Sobriquet
Please Continue...
eBay: kaff_white

Have I killed my CPS2 board?

Post by Sobriquet »

I have a green (JP) Marvel Super Heroes which I picked up cheap a couple of years ago. Finally got around to changing the battery since I didn't know how old the existing one was.

Took note of the polarity, replaced the battery in <10 mins and made sure to ground myself. Didn't get a chance to power it up until now, a week later.
It only boots with a yellowy/grey screen :-(

I've reseated it on the motherboard a bunch of times, I've double-checked I got the polarity right (+ terminal is away from the edge of the board), I've checked that it's ~3.1V from one end of the nearest diode to a test point and the soldering looks good.
Checked the +5v on the cabinet(and tried it in both cabinets).

I get the exact same screen if the rom board isn't mounted though, which makes me think I must have killed it.
Time to Phoenix it? Or is it more likely the Mobo is dead?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Re: Have I killed my CPS2 board?

Post by idc »

If you get the same screen without the B-board attached, then it's possible that your motherboard has a fault.

Try another motherboard first.
ImageImageImageImage
porchio
Please Continue...

Post by porchio »

Deffo try another board.
I'm currently fixing up a cps2 board and have got it to a point where it boots to a grey screen. I'm pretty sure its a RAM fault at this stage but not looked into it any further yet.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

idc wrote:If you get the same screen without the B-board attached, then it's possible that your motherboard has a fault.

Try another motherboard first.
Iirc a motherboard with no b board attached should give you a completely black screen. If you get a solid colour with no b board attached, it's probably faulty.
Sobriquet
Please Continue...
eBay: kaff_white

Post by Sobriquet »

It probably is completely black, I probably just need to tweak the red on my new cab.
Hmm, okay. So it's probably not suicided, but I may well have fried the mobo or destroyed some component on the rom board without noticing.
Guess I need to acquire another mobo for testing.

This hobby can be really expensive :shh:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Sobriquet wrote:It probably is completely black, I probably just need to tweak the red on my new cab.
Hmm, okay. So it's probably not suicided, but I may well have fried the mobo or destroyed some component on the rom board without noticing.

I think I'm correct in saying, at least in the majority of cases, black is no b board attached, solid colour (usually green) means suicided b board, anything else (weird patterns etc) means other fault!
VectorGlow
eBay: realflight

Post by VectorGlow »

Sobriquet wrote:It probably is completely black, I probably just need to tweak the red on my new cab.

If you want to verify if it's suicided then Razoola (the Phoenix guy) has produced a binary which can be programmed into a suitable EPROM, then plugged into the relevant socket on the B board to test if it really has suicided. Of course, you would need the correct EPROM and programmer to do that.

Remember that green and blue boards are interchangeable - I have a working blue A and B board here and use the A board when testing B boards whenever I've swapped out batteries for people, etc.

If it's of any help, I could take a look at both boards for you, and at least determine which is at fault. All I ask is that you pay for postage each way, but if any actual repair or intensive investigation is required then I'd make a wee charge. :)
Arcade game board repairer
rockman11
Please Continue...
eBay: airbag1981

Post by rockman11 »

Howdy! Any luck on this one? I just had an MvC unit shipped to me and I can't get it working--I'm getting the same solid grey screen as you, Sobriquet. I checked the voltages and I got a little over 5 and just under 12. The AC was high though--around 136-137 at the power supply. My outlets show 126.9, which is a a little hot. Do you think that could affect the CPS2 boards? Maybe the B board suicided on the way over?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Have any other A or B boards? Are you sure it still has a battery, and hasn't been desuicided already? have you opened the B board and had a look inside for any battery leak, loose roms or other damage?