Naomi Netboot questions....

PCB problems and fixes
toibs
eBay: toibs

Naomi Netboot questions....

Post by toibs »

Hi Guys,

Well in an effort to preserve/replace my GD Rom drive and Disks from probable perminent damage from the kids i'm looking to get net booting set up on my Naomi2. Have read this post http://guru.mameworld.info/naomi/netdimm.html" which gives the basics (has anyone a more up to date version of this, since it seems rather dated now!), and may well have a Net-Dimm 3.17 sorted.

However the article seems fairly old, and i'm fairly green on this, so any advise would be appreciated.

What i'd LOVE to be able to do would be as per the article and store images of the games i own on a locally connected PC so that all i need to do is upload the new image locally and then fire up, however from what i see there is no way of patching the images and you have to change the chip for each game i own? The less hassle it is to change game, basically, the better....

Any info/pointers appreciated :)

Paul
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Re: Naomi Netboot questions....

Post by Spectre »

One option is a compact flash setup from andygeezer, I have one in my id cab. Switching games is just a simple remove one cf card, plug in another.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

It seems to be a big no-no to talk about netboot here. The information you need is out there.
You need to up your google skillz. I managed (even wrote a guide in swedish on another forum) and you probably will too. Good luck.
Up the Irons!
toibs

Post by toibs »

Spectre wrote:One option is a compact flash setup from andygeezer, I have one in my id cab. Switching games is just a simple remove one cf card, plug in another.
I was looking at this, however it's £££ at present - however as you say that would be ideal. for the meantime i have one of those el-cheapo Atom based desktop machines i can bolt on the back of a flat screen i can mount on the wall, and it can dual-purpose as a host machine.

At this point, i feel as if i must apologise - i didnt mean to offend anyone by asking this - and if it is a big nono on here then i'll stop discussing it. The only reason was referred to in my first post....

Paul
KmanSweden
KmanSweden

Post by KmanSweden »

toibs wrote:At this point, i feel as if i must apologise - i didnt mean to offend anyone by asking this - and if it is a big nono on here then i'll stop discussing it. The only reason was referred to in my first post....

Paul
No need to apologize. I think the taboo is rather silly but rules are rules.
Up the Irons!
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

I'm not a technical mod and so have no jurisdiction here, but Netboot how-to talk is indeed not permitted.

Naomi is - somewhat bizarrely, give the age of the platform - still a platform that has relatively new releases (2009 at least).

I'm sure a simple Google search for "Naomi Netboot" "transfergame.exe" and the like will be more than sufficient to get you the information you require, anyway.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

It is indeed silly not being able to discuss these matters, if it's in MAME it's OK I say..
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
toibs

Post by toibs »

Yeh saw it. Perfect really, however out of my price range unfortunately :(
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

toibs wrote:I was looking at this, however it's £££ at present - however as you say that would be ideal.
If you're good with a soldering iron, you could build one yourself.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden

Post by KmanSweden »

nem wrote:If you're good with a soldering iron, you could build one yourself.
Yeah but where would you get the games from? Netboot games are googleable. (totally made that word up) :awe:
Up the Irons!
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

invzim wrote:It is indeed silly not being able to discuss these matters, if it's in MAME it's OK I say..
mame, that great bastion of legality.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I think we've established the resources are out there if you look hard enough. I realise some people think our rules on this sort of thing are harsh at times but I stand by them. Removing such restrictions opens the floodgates to such talk taking over and questionable characters signing up and trying to push their warez. Chi also makes a good point that some of this stuff is a little too recent as well and detrimental to companies like SEGA. There's always the (albeit slim) risk we could get in bother as well. I also think MAME is a bad example as their rules seem to have gone out the window of late.

Basically, I don't want AO to be *that* forum. I want it to be a resource for original Japanese hardware and a forum that protects its members from boots and doesn't harm an industry that's already struggling.
Spectre
By Spectre

Post by Spectre »

SuperPang wrote:Basically, I don't want AO to be *that* forum. I want it to be a resource for original Japanese hardware and a forum that protects its members from boots and doesn't harm an industry that's already struggling.
Best arguement against I've read so far, fair enough for me. As was pointed out to me recently, if you really want this kind of info you can always ask in the chat channel and if you're a regular here then people will help.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'm not judging any home user who uses Netboot, dodgy Type X stuff or converts their CPS2 carts, that's their prerogative, and I'd be naive to think it doesn't go on behind the scenes. I just don't want the forum to write the manual :)
Spectre
By Spectre

Post by Spectre »

SuperPang wrote:I'm not judging any home user who uses Netboot, dodgy Type X stuff or converts their CPS2 carts, that's their prerogative, and I'd be naive to think it doesn't go on behind the scenes. I just don't want the forum to write the manual :)
Behind closed doors I smother my cps2 carts in baby oil and insert them into various places about my body whilst doing naked wiifit. I try not talk about it on here though, or the rest of the geeks will think I'm a wierdo.
toibs

Post by toibs »

SuperPang wrote:I think we've established the resources are out there if you look hard enough. I realise some people think our rules on this sort of thing are harsh at times but I stand by them. Removing such restrictions opens the floodgates to such talk taking over and questionable characters signing up and trying to push their warez. Chi also makes a good point that some of this stuff is a little too recent as well and detrimental to companies like SEGA. There's always the (albeit slim) risk we could get in bother as well. I also think MAME is a bad example as their rules seem to have gone out the window of late.

Basically, I don't want AO to be *that* forum. I want it to be a resource for original Japanese hardware and a forum that protects its members from boots and doesn't harm an industry that's already struggling.
SP,

I remember you ;) Hey no problem - i didnt realise that there was a whole "Taboo" over this topic, though in retrospect and thinking about it, i can understand why. As i said above this will be only for stuff that i own, however that doesnt make the practice any more excusable, since for one person doing things Legit, there will be 20 who arent :(

As for Spectre - i'm starting to get worried already!!!

Paul
toibs

Post by toibs »

nem wrote:
toibs wrote:I was looking at this, however it's £££ at present - however as you say that would be ideal.
If you're good with a soldering iron, you could build one yourself.
I'm VERY handy with a soldering iron, and that looks VERY tempting... in fact i was thinking this morning that there couldnt be much to adding a CF interface to replace the GD-ROM...
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89

Post by baddy »

Even if I stand behind the rules of this great forum (they keep the retards out of here) I have to say that for home use I see no real problem "hacking" the systems considering that 99% of the copied/bootlegged stuff is used by professionals to make some extra dough while butt-*****ng the devs.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

baddy wrote:for home use I see no real problem "hacking" the systems
There's plenty of people that don't have a moral problem with people using "hacked" games for private/home use.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004