Sexy Parodius displaying all video in green only

PCB problems and fixes
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...
eBay: hayato3d
Initials: ALK

Sexy Parodius displaying all video in green only

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

So...I did something really stupid: I was talking to someone and not paying attention and wiping the dust off my monitor while it was on with not the best thing to use...so I got quite a bit of static and the monitor went out. I was then incredibly **** at myself thinking the monitor died, but thankfully its fine, as all my other games work fine.

I had Sexy Parodius in at the time when the signal went out on the video. When I turned it back on everything is green. The game looks fine, no problems, no weird graphics; but everything is green, and it won't display any color but green. The board itself was quite new, and one of my favorite games, so it really sucks...

So, what did I break, and how do I fix it? :problem:

(I can supply pictures of it running if needed, but looks just like it usually does, except every possible thing is green)
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Re: Sexy Parodius displaying all video in green only

Post by davewellington »

First thing to do - try a different board. See if the issue is the game or the monitor.
all your wiki pages belong to me
maxio098ui
Please Continue...
eBay: maxio098ui

Post by maxio098ui »

OtokonoZenyou wrote:I was then incredibly **** at myself thinking the monitor died, but thankfully its fine, as all my other games work fine.
The screws used to seal up this cart are wood screws. Nobody is going to waste good wood screws on a bootleg, they'd just use cheap electronic screws instead.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

Opps :)
What gear do you have? logic probe? multimeter?
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

I've got a good multimeter, I don't know about the logic probe; could always go get one though.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

Pretty much you want to work backwards from green on the JAMMA edge and see where the traces go, checking each component is working. A logic probe is generally the best way to do this. I'm quite new to repair work so unfortunately I can't help much more, hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to give better advice :)
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

davewellington wrote:Pretty much you want to work backwards from green on the JAMMA edge and see where the traces go, checking each component is working. A logic probe is generally the best way to do this. I'm quite new to repair work so unfortunately I can't help much more, hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to give better advice :)
So, I don't have one, and have no idea where to get one besides online. Is there anyway I can test like that with a multimeter until I get a logic probe? Not really sure how to check each component with the multimeter besides like continuity.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

I recently got my logic probe off ebay - made a topic about it here.

Or you could send your board to channelmaniac for repair.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Or you could buy another Konami GX mainboard, or swap Sexy Parodius onto another GX motherboard you might already own. See the wiki article I wrote that has way too much information on the Konami GX

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Konami_GX"

If you need help with this, I can help you. I'm currently bidding on one to replace my Rushing Heroes mainboard (Sold it to a friend who lost his motherboard in a freak accident involving water)
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trmatthe
-

Post by trmatthe »

It's possible you've popped part of the video output circuitry on the GX, especially as you mention being highly charged with static whilst all this is going on. Although if you were charged to 50kV and touched the edge connector then it seems a bit unusual it'd take out red & blue but not sync or green (as I'd expect them to all be produced by the same IC).

I do have a Sal2 here but I'll be buggered if I can find it, so I can't have a look at how the video output works on GX - I'm guessing by this stage it's a bit more advanced than just a resistor ladder and is probably output directly from a custom.

The obvious causes are:

1. You did indeed fry something in the video output stage, or worse something more fundamental within the circuit.
2. The JAMMA edge connector has crappy pins that are no longer making proper contact with the board's edge connector (cross your fingers it's this ;)
3. Entirely unrelated to the monitor cleaning, one of those things that just happens.

As to fixing this, we need to get some more detail: first you need to see if you're getting any output on the Red & Blue video output pins. If you google "JAMMA pinout" this will show you the pins of interest. Ideally you'd measure the output using an oscilloscope as that'll directly show you the intensity. You *could* try measuring them with your multimeter - set meter to DC volts, put one probe on JAMMA pin 1 (Ground) and the other probe on either Red or Blue and see what the meter displays with the game running. If you can get the game to show a white cross-hatch grid this would increase your chance of inferring something useful as the colour signals will be stable in relation to each other (not strictly true, but it's a white lie ;)).

So going with the multi-meter method, take a reading with a probe on GND and one on Blue, then GND and Red and then GND and Green. You're probably going to find that the voltage shown on your meter keeps changing (you're trying to measure a relatively fast AC signal) but the crucial part is whether you see anything between GND/Red & GND/Blue. The voltages will be low because the board may only be outputting 0.75V as a full-intensity. When you take these measurements, make sure the probe is touching the actual plated edge connector on the PCB and not the lugs on the back of the JAMMA harness, just in case the pins are making poor contact.

Once you've done this, if you do get any voltages on Red & Blue, repeat the experiment but touch your probes to the lugs on the back of the JAMMA connector to see whether the JAMMA connector is at fault.

Let us know what you see and then we can figure out the next step.

Good luck!
OtokonoZenyou
Please Continue...

Post by OtokonoZenyou »

Sorry for the long reply been busy!

Well I have two Parodius boards so here soon I will switch the sub board over to my working motherboard and see what happens. I still want to get another board/fix the one I have so I don't have to switch around all the time.

Once I have some more free time I will try doing all that TR said and get with you.