PCB problems and fixes
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

PC based hardware halp! Deathsmiles 2

Post by SuperPang »

This game will be the death of me :palm:

I got another Deathsmiles 2. It definitely worked before it shipped but when it got here it was dead as a dodo. No signs of life, the fans don't spin or anything. I can only imagine it's been dropped which has somehow **** the PSU.

Things look pretty sound inside. I took some photo's anyway:
http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... =slideshow"

The hardware is pretty uncharted, although there's a bit of info in this thread:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9851"

Can any PC gurus spot anything obvious? If not, is there someone with the relevant PC knowledge, equipment and a JVS rig in the UK who can take a look at this for a fee and who I can trust not to try and dump it? Hopefully these are off the shelf components that can be easily replaced. I can send it back to Cave but after their fee and shipping both ways, it's not going to be pretty.

Thanks in advance.
brentsg
eBay: brentsg
Initials: BSG

Re: PC based hardware halp!

Post by brentsg »

It should be a standard power supply. Can you try a different one?
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I don't have anything to hand. Could I just buy another of these and plug it in? Will it have all the right connectors and stuff? :think:
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Looks like a standard ATX psu. Just get something of the same wattage
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Pang, does it have a momentary power button, like a regular PC?

Assuming it doesn't (since it's for inside a cab), and the PSU is a normal one then there's every chance it's not the PSU at fault at all. If you want to find out, disconnect the PSU from everything and ground pin 14 on the ATX connector, then supply mains. If the PSU fan doesn't kick in it's faulty.

I'd be happy to take a look at it if you're not in a crazy rush to have it back.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

It looks sound as far as I can see, and if it is a power supply issue it should be an easy fix. Evergreen eg-400pg 400w atx psu... any number of modern atx power supplies will replace it.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/400w-col ... atx12v-v22

Step 1 is to take the whole thing apart and then put it back together again. Should be very straightforward and might well solve your problem if it's just taken a bump or two in transit.
Spectre
By Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Try uplugging and replugging these 3. 1 is the atx header that goes to the power on switch. 2 is the main power connector to the mobo and 3 (off pic) is the 12v line just under the psu.

Stating the obvious, but also check for an off/on switch on the back of the psu. I presume their is a soft power on button on the case somewhere, try holding it down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

PC based systems that run off a real PC motherboard will have a couple of pins for a soft power on switch.

If the CMOS battery dies then the system will need to be turned on by momentarily shorting those power switch pins on the motherboard.

Replace the CMOS battery if it's dead then reset the CMOS option for having the system power on automatically when AC power is restored.

Oh, and for those silly games (police trainer 2, etc...) that use the parallel port to JAMMA adapter you'll need to set the correct parallel port mode for the game to boot.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

There's an on/off switch on the outside of the case which is definitely on. The PSU fan doesn't even spin. I made sure all the connectors were pushed in but I'll reseat those 3 Spectre mentioned and order a new PSU I guess.

Thanks guys.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

It may not help, for the reasons I posted already. Only takes a paperclip to check an ATX PSU actually turns on.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I think I might take you up on your offer cools as I don't want to start dicking with things I don't understand. :think:
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Most arcade PC mainboards have a auto pwr-on function as part of there factory settings, but sometimes they forget to auto-switch on. :palm:

I would doubt the PSU has gone tits-up, unless it is really badly made - they are pretty much protected in there cages.
Say hello to my little friend...
Spectre
By Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Pang, I'm off work this week so if you like you can post it me and I'll take a look for you. I worked in IT support for a few years and have built enough PCs to know what I'm up to, have got a spare atx2.2 psu here I can test if needs be, it's running off a gigabyte socket am2 mobo, so can find the pdf on the web and reset the cmos etc... am also making a post office trip end of the week so would be able to post it back.

Anyway, the offer is there m8, can't guarantee I can fix it but if it's something fairly routine in terms of stock pc hardware then it shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively if you've got a webcam we could skype it up one evening and I'll point out a few things you could try.
chriso
Please Continue...

Post by chriso »

In the 4th image of your slideshow - see the large 20 way connector going to the PSU
It's at the bottom.
Pin 14 to start the PSU is the only GREEN wire in the plug.
Just short this to a black wire.
If the PSU is OK it will start up.
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Should point out that it's perfectly safe to do that, despite the seemingly dodgy way it sounds as that's what motherboards do (it's also necessary to do the link when making a JVS power adapter for a atx psu)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Yup. I suggest doing it with the PSU disconnected from the rest of the system though. I've accidentally fried a motherboard in the past by forcing the PSU to stay powered on... To be fair this was a graphics card incompatibility but it's made me wary :)
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

True to say that "unprofessional" repair places use a paperclip to gnd out pin 14.. :palm:
Say hello to my little friend...
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

This is going out to Spectre tomorrow thanks to his kind offer to look it over. Thanks also to cools and everyone for their advice.

As easy as these shorting techniques sound, I'd rather be a big girl and let someone who knows more about these things have a go as I appear to have the worst luck in the world with this bloody game. Besides, if the PSU does work I'm back to square one and would want someone who knows their way around a PC to look at it anyway to check I haven't missed anything obvious.
Spectre
By Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Am posting here in the hope that others might have some useful insight.

Evergreen EG-400PG 400w atx2.2 psu
Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H rev1.0 socket AM2+ motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition
Transcend 2gb DDR2-800 DIMM
Custom DS-0940215C IO/USB card (connects directly to the front panel header and one usb header on the motherboard)

PSU tested, working.
CMOS reset.
All cables reseated.
CPU and RAM reseated.

It comes on, fans spin, red "D3" led pulses on and off. No video, no audio.

Sometimes it won't come on at all. Flexing the motherboard in the bottom corner near the front panel header persuades it to power on, however I have had D1 and D2 leds on the custom IO/USB card also come on when the mobo is flexed.

Worth mentioning that I am connecting this to my initial d cab, however I see no reason why I wouldn't in the least get some video and an IO error if this was an issue.

Seems to me that in the least the mobo is dodgy and needs replacing, but there could be a custom bios which the thing won't boot without for all I know. CPU could be fried, RAM could be dodgy... would expect to see some video of the bios firing up though even if either of these were the case.

If these parts are totally stock and they can be sourced, replacing one or more of them might solve the problem, but it's a bit of a suck it and see, could well just be throwing more money down the toilet. :?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

No beeps? Does the motherboard have an onboard beeper or need a cabled one?

Work from PSU+motherboard only and see what that does and add the CPU in after, then the RAM.