cant Phoenix my cps2

PCB problems and fixes
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...
eBay: juanmiglesias
Initials: JMI

cant Phoenix my cps2

Post by juanmiglesias »

hi, im new around here and im doing my first cps2 phoenix board... i found out my xmen vs street figther died on me (battery)... :cry: first was my cps3 third strike, then my mv2f MVS battery leaked (probably a bad new battery).. (im fixing some traces, doest seems to be that bad).....and now my XvS... so i thought ill try to phoenix myself...
so i erased all eproms from 01 to 09....yes i know first error.. i only needed for what a see 03, 04, 05, 07...so i rewrite all chips except 03 and 04 with the phoenix romset from cps2 perfect set... BTW its an Asia version (grey cart) original... i got no problems rewriting 01,02,05,06,07,08,09.... but 03 and 04 are failing me all the time.. with these errors:
04: Write failed, Address=0x03C196, Buffer=0xC6 Device=0x02, (seems like ramdom errors)..Write failed, Address=0x037FF6, Buffer=0x8E Device=0x02
03: Write failed, Address=0x0307A2, Buffer=0x72 Device=0x02

i do i blank check first...100% ok...im now leaving the eproms a little longer under the UV eraser... BTW 07,08 are the same kind of eprom, HN27C4096G-12...and they did a succesfully write with their respective files.... im using original EPORMS from capcom.. as i live in venezuela its pretty hard to find eproms... and if you do the price ussually goes for 20$ each...ouch...

i know i could send them to RAZ, i even buy the unibios from him :), but i have some new government regulatons here in Venezuela (thanks to the nuthead of chavez) that makes it impossible at the moment... and also i really enjoy the whole DIY :)

i have an mcmumall true usb GQ-4X programmer and the 16bit adap... 100% compatible...

any advice?...
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Re: cant Phoenix my cps2

Post by juanmiglesias »

UPDATE: i manage to burn the 03 and 04...but might try it again as i did it in an odd way... i supplied my programmer with external power... blank check failed at 00000 with 0x08... no way to write it...i though it might be driver or software bug.. did a read... 100%....then write them..100% verified Ok... but now i get a black screen on boot...
gonna try to reburn.. but first im going to check a post a saw about killing the cps2 100% with a short... gonna read and wait for a reply before trying that...
any sugestions?

UPDATE 2: shorting cap didnt help... gonna check with rewriting...... any issues using a asia game with phoenixed US set?.. i burned 01 to 09 using US set..
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

juanmiglesias wrote:UPDATE 2: shorting cap didnt help... gonna check with rewriting...... any issues using a asia game with phoenixed US set?.. i burned 01 to 09 using US set..
There should be no issues with using a phoenixed US set on an Asian board.

Firstly, are all the EPROMs inserted correctly, in the right way, no misaligned pins, etc?

If you're confident that they are, I'd suggest you leave the board to sit for 24 hours to ensure that the decryption keys have fully disappeared. I've heard the odd case of people shorting the cap but it not clearing the keys, or maybe shorting the wrong cap. To remove all doubt, I'd just let it sit. 8-)

If you still have the problem after 24 hours, remove each EPROM and read them in your GQ-4X and compare the checksums reported by USBPrg (right at the bottom of the window, in the status bar) against these to ensure they're all written correctly:

1: 3999e93a
2: 101bdee9

3: 4e2e76b7
4: 290c61a7
5: de347b11 (or 7db6025d)
6: e8e2c75c
7: f761ded7 (or 08f0abed)
8: 81929675
9: 9641f36b

There are two phoenix sets for xmvsfu, so 5 and 7 may be either the pair shown in blue or the pair shown in red.
Last edited by idc on January 10th, 2011, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

idc wrote:
juanmiglesias wrote:UPDATE 2: shorting cap didnt help... gonna check with rewriting...... any issues using a asia game with phoenixed US set?.. i burned 01 to 09 using US set..
There should be no issues with using a phoenixed US set on an Asian board.

Firstly, are all the EPROMs inserted correctly, in the right way, no misaligned pins, etc?

If you're confident that they are, I'd suggest you leave the board to sit for 24 hours to ensure that the decryption keys have fully disappeared. I've heard the odd case of people shorting the cap but it not clearing the keys, or maybe shorting the wrong cap. To remove all doubt, I'd just let it sit. 8-)

If you still have the problem after 24 hours, remove each EPROM and read them in your GQ-4X and compare the checksums reported by USBPrg (right at the bottom of the window, in the status bar) against these to ensure they're all written correctly:

1: 3999e93a
2: 101bdee9

3: 4e2e76b7
4: 290c61a7
5: de347b11 (or 7db6025d)
6: e8e2c75c
7: f761ded7 (or 08f0abed)
8: 81929675
9: 9641f36b

There are two phoenix sets for xmvsfu, so 5 and 7 may be either the pair shown in blue or the pair shown in red.
thanks! im going to try it right now!.... the eproms seems fine no misaligned pins around...im going to try the checksums.. :think:
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

ok i must be doing something wrong.... i get all checksums bad... for example my 07 gives me 02A6FF54...... i check the zip and your values are from CRC32 so i must ber doing something wrong...
here what i did:
-UV erased all chips 01 to 09
- unzipped the files....from xvs and xvs pheonix (from cps2 perfect set)
-open usbprog
-it found the harware, check versions.. everything ok..
-i put my adapter on the programmer...
-change device id...for example.. 07 is a M27C4002... i inserted on the left zif (it says 27c4002).. config on hardware adapter is default: jumper 1 1-2 for 27c400 (2-3 only for 27c322), no jumpers on j2 (a21,a20,p1,a19) or j5 (v3/v4)
-open the file to write xvsd.07, file format .bin, read mode normal, write mode normal, offset 000000
-blank check 100% ok
-write....100% ok
-verify...100% ok...
-checksum is different??...
am i missing something?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

Wait, just checked in USBPrg, and it's reporting different checksums to those I'd expected.

Try these:

1: 00811741
2: 0013ED68

3: 01F6B200
4: 015042C8
5: 01DB5C07 (01DB5B6D)
6: 01FDC76B
7: 02A6FF54 (02A7020B)
8: 0342C545
9: 05C97B38

Sorry for previous misinformation, seems I thought USBPrg would report CRC32, when it does in fact report Checksum 32.
ImageImageImageImage
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

idc wrote:Wait, just checked in USBPrg, and it's reporting different checksums to those I'd expected.

Try these:

1: 00811741
2: 0013ED68

3: 01F6B200
4: 015042C8
5: 01DB5C07 (01DB5B6D)
6: 01FDC76B
7: 02A6FF54 (02A7020B)
8: 0342C545
9: 05C97B38

Sorry for previous misinformation, seems I thought USBPrg would report CRC32, when it does in fact report Checksum 32.
ok as i expected 03 and 04 checksums are bad....weird... gonna erase them and write again... every other eprom was ok
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

i erased them..but again blank check failed at 000000 found 0x08? anyone knows what this means... im leaving them again under UV eraser a little more
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

ok... finally i got every eprom writed ok... checksums verified.... the only problem ....black screen :( just checked the cabinet with an area 51 board... some adjusment on the power and started...coneccted cps2 nothing black screen.. i checked Voltage 5+ is at 4.9 - 5 12+ is at 11.9 - 12
any suggestions?
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Try shorting out the resistor at EXC3 just above PAL BSGB1

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

With the Willem programmers make sure you use a thick USB cable or get an external power source.

Also use the most up to date burning program (GQUSBprg 6.00), the HN27C4096G-12 couldn't be programmed properly with the older ones.

These are the CRCs for the set I have, odd that they're completely different to the above.

idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

alienmame wrote:Try shorting out the resistor at EXC3 just above PAL BSGB1

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph
Also try shorting all three points of EXC1 if that's not the one you've already tried. Use a piece of wire, and not a screwdriver, as some screwdrivers don't conduct too well.

You could try burning this to a 27C4096 and putting it in socket 03 to test that the security key has been fully erased: http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/downloa ... tester.zip"

If you reach a simple RAM test screen with music playing, then the key has been erased, which in this case is what you want to see! if you don't get that, then either the key is still partially there or there is some other fault with the board.
yosai wrote:With the Willem programmers make sure you use a thick USB cable or get an external power source.

Also use the most up to date burning program (GQUSBprg 6.00), the HN27C4096G-12 couldn't be programmed properly with the older ones.

These are the CRCs for the set I have, odd that they're completely different to the above.
That is CRC32, same mistake I made at first! Your list does match my first list.

However, USBPrg displays Checksum 32. ;)

I've never had to use external power with my GQ-4X and CPS2 ROMs, but I would agree that you should always use the latest available version of USBPrg.
ImageImageImageImage
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

well i already short the EXC3 and EXC1 gonna leave it a bit longer to ensure no code left.. if it doesnt boot im gonna try the tester bin from RAZ...

also what would be a good level for the power supply on 5v rail...i was reading about upgrading my area 51 to DUO (max f, area 51), and it seems it works better with 5.2, i dont wanna mess too much with it with out knowking your opinions first.... BTW the game worked flawless till about 6 months ago... i unplugged and replugged about a week... and it was dead... the components and the board seems like new i dont see any flaw.. even dust...the only place it had a little was under the eproms..

do anyone know a good place to buy eproms online?. preferably in US...

ill post my results tonight.. im at work right no :think: .... thanks to everybody
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Not in the us but I would recommend IC-China on ebay.

Great service every time I have used them
porchio
Please Continue...

Post by porchio »

yosai wrote:Not in the us but I would recommend IC-China on ebay.

Great service every time I have used them
+1 for them
never once had a problem and really quick delivery
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

The Hitachi 27C4096 chips are a bit of a bitch.

If you look closely at them you'll see that the erase window is SMALLER than the chip die under it. So what to do... hmmm...

The way I erase them is to put the chip to the left a bit of the bulb so the light hits the corners of the chip normally hidden... then run another erase cycle with the chip a bit to the right of the bulb so the light gets the other corners of the chip.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
juanmiglesias
Please Continue...

Post by juanmiglesias »

i think thats my problem,.... im getting errors after erase...as some data is left... when blank checking seems at 99% or 1% that there is some bits left overs....
gonna try that trick with the angle inside the uv eraser.
thanks
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

I know sod all about this and have just been reading the thread out of interest, but couldn't you employ a tin foil shield around the chip to reflect the uv light around a bit?
gargamel
Please Continue...

Post by gargamel »

Hitachi HN27C4096G-12, are ther utteriest crap chip i ever seen.
It is the pain in the a*ss to erase.

Also, there is compatibility issue with MCumall programmer and those chips.
There is nothing to do, apart to write, fail, erase, write, fail erase, write again, until you succeed.

you can use m27c240 instead of hn27c4096. never failed to burn thoses.
=Capcom Mini Cute and Killer Instinct severe addiction=
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

gargamel wrote:Hitachi HN27C4096G-12, are ther utteriest crap chip i ever seen.
It is the pain in the a*ss to erase.

Also, there is compatibility issue with MCumall programmer and those chips.
There is nothing to do, apart to write, fail, erase, write, fail erase, write again, until you succeed.

you can use m27c240 instead of hn27c4096. never failed to burn thoses.
I've never had an issue programming the Hitachi chips once they were properly erased. Maybe I just have a better programmer. ;) hehehehe

I use the TopMAX from eeTools.
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!