HDD problems with Taiko no Tatsujin 12 (Taiko Drum Master)

PCB problems and fixes
subbie
Please Continue...

HDD problems with Taiko no Tatsujin 12 (Taiko Drum Master)

Post by subbie »

(proof of me having the game, My concerns are with the hdd only, I asked SuperPang in advanced before posting this topic)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. I'm in need of some help here. I have Taiko no Tatsujin 12 that I got off yahoo. The Dongle works but the HDD looks to be dead. After the game boots it hits a "Disk invalid" message. I've tried using chdman to make a rip of the HDD and wrote it back to a new HDD (same maker) but with no luck. I've also tried analyzing the CHD image (by dumping to raw) and found some snipit text of Sony & Taiko no Tatsujin in the header but then lots of other odd crap (like stuff pertaining to Win NT modem drivers).

Sadly I can't hit up mame dumps as no dump of this HDD has been made.

Does anybody know of a way I might be able to fix the old HDD or possibly has the game and can provide me a hdd dump?
If not, does anybody know if it's possible to buy replacement media (game HDDs or DVDs) from Namco?

:(
Namco System 246/256/357 Software List
******** Help Fill in the blanks *******
http://www.smalllinks.com/P60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Re: HDD problems with Taiko no Tatsujin 12 (Taiko Drum Maste

Post by andygeezer »

Most people make the mistake of putting sys246 hdd games on to windows then trying to init the drive while in Winodws - this breaks any Sys246 game..

Common issue for tech who try to duplicate BG3 hdds.. :lol:

Without a clean dump it will be impossible to fix it.
Say hello to my little friend...
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Sent a PM for more info. =)
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

Why is this such a secretive matter??
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Akuma wrote:Why is this such a secretive matter??
Wasn't really. Just PM sometimes move faster then people rechecking a topic. =P I just have a habit of saying so in a topic in case someone ignores their PM box by default.

Anyways the answer was I am **** for the moment based on what he's seen with Battle Gear 3 HDD. That if touched by PC it will botch the drive to where it will be rejected by the 246. I personally don't have on hand any other 246/256 hdd games to check against yet. I have a GvG Next waiting with a proxy in japan but i won't be getting that till next month (want to grab some other stuff too).

I was also recommended to try WinHex which i'm doing now but due to the state of this HDD it's really slow in the middle sectors of the drive. I'm running the partition finder from the tool and so far it found 1 hidden partition (plus 1 NTFS partition it defaults to, which is probably a male chicken up by previous owner).

I'll give an update when ever winhex is ever able to finish the partition finder (it's been going since last night).

So really that's all.

I also asked if he knows if namco will sell replacement media but sounds like it will be a dead end. =(
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Akuma wrote:Why is this such a secretive matter??

and/or

:awe:
ImageImageImageImage
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

:palm: Neither.

If it's a big issue & andygeezer is fine with it. I'll gladly copy & paste all the PMs.

I just really wasn't expecting much additional help from others and AG was at the time the only reply (and still is on the subject).

-edit-
Further, I got the A OK from SuperPang to ask if anybody could supply a HDD dump for this game since with out the DONGLE you can't do **** with an HDD image (as it's just data, The elf/bin/game & security is the dongle).
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

subbie wrote: :palm: Neither.
If it's not for the jollies and it's not for the money, it must be for the bitches, yo.

:awe:

No issues at all mate. Hope you get it fixed. 8-)
ImageImageImageImage
defor
Please Continue...
eBay: rayusama
Initials: DEF

Post by defor »

that really can't provide any tactical advantage in a blaster fight. :palm:

anyhow-
got my gvgn set- here's the layout:
This is a GOOD partition map from a stock drive.

Based on the way WinHIIP does things (0x40000 = 128MB):
last partition ends at: 0x1400000
0x1400000 / 0x800 = 0x2800

Game=10GB total partition size.
gunzip -d gvgn.gz | dd of=/dev/disk1 bs=4096k count=2560

should copy the game back to any drive 10gb or larger.
I decided to use that view as logical order really does nothing other than waste space.

i'm curious if taking the beginning 5 partitions of mine after the partition map (gotta find out how big APA map is) and replacing the beginning of your drive, we can get this thing to boot...
I think it's doable as the dongle does the loading- not the drive.

EDIT:
also, for reference taiko's full drive usage is almost as big (9216MB) although there's an "empty" partition in the middle?!?
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Good info but I'm pretty sure my DM12 is dead dead for now. Just have to wait till I can buy up another on Yahoo Auctions so I can get a valid image to restore my copy on another HDD. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.
crackerz

Post by crackerz »

Has anyone figured out how to clone a drive for use in Battle Gear 3? I have a twin player arcade machine and one of the drives started acting up. Prior to reading this thread, I mounted the drive to a windows pc and tried to clone the working drive from the second player. Now I've screwed up both drives!

Has anyone figured out how to clone these drives? Also, is there an image anywhere out there which could be used? I too have the dongles for the game, just two dead drives and no support or parts available anywhere!

I'd really hate to have to scrap this machine just because of this, not to mention the $1500 I spent on the machine, only to have it crap out 1 month later.

Any help???

Thanks
Mark
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

crackerz wrote:Has anyone figured out how to clone a drive for use in Battle Gear 3? I have a twin player arcade machine and one of the drives started acting up. Prior to reading this thread, I mounted the drive to a windows pc and tried to clone the working drive from the second player. Now I've screwed up both drives!

Has anyone figured out how to clone these drives? Also, is there an image anywhere out there which could be used? I too have the dongles for the game, just two dead drives and no support or parts available anywhere!

I'd really hate to have to scrap this machine just because of this, not to mention the $1500 I spent on the machine, only to have it crap out 1 month later.

Any help???

Thanks
Mark
Sadly not much you can do now, and sadly I only had bg3tuned dumped and that rar is bloody corrupt. Which is typical as I got one to repair.

Taito in Japan can repair but it won't be cheap.
Say hello to my little friend...
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

I don't get it, why do people mount these drives, just CHD or DD the things under linux, then play around with the copy..
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Asure wrote:I don't get it, why do people mount these drives, just CHD or DD the things under linux, then play around with the copy..
Windows (up to XP) do nothing to the drives until you tell it to. I just recently started to use Windows 7 and have not put any alien drives on it yet ...

Besides that, yes you should not need to mount the images, really. :lol:
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Post by Asure »

leonardoliveira wrote:
Asure wrote:I don't get it, why do people mount these drives, just CHD or DD the things under linux, then play around with the copy..
Windows (up to XP) do nothing to the drives until you tell it to. I just recently started to use Windows 7 and have not put any alien drives on it yet ...

Besides that, yes you should not need to mount the images, really. :lol:
All the newer Windows (from 7+) ask to 'init the drive' when an 'alien' drive is detected, and you go to to computer -> manage -> disk manager..

When people click 'yes' the disk gets screwed.. :(
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

crackerz wrote:Has anyone figured out how to clone a drive for use in Battle Gear 3? I have a twin player arcade machine and one of the drives started acting up. Prior to reading this thread, I mounted the drive to a windows pc and tried to clone the working drive from the second player. Now I've screwed up both drives!

Any help???

Thanks
Mark
Boy you killed that one. On the bright side BG3 replacement drives have shown up on yahoo from time to time. Is the game BG3 or Tuned? I believe I have an HDD to Tuned but not sure for BG3 (Possibly do, my collection got out of hand).

If by chance you want to ever give up, I'm in need of BG3 parts :lol: I'd pay a pretty penny for a full wire/drive pcb setup.

-edit-

I should note that the best way I found to clone PS2 HDD (Sys2x6 HDD games use the same format as PS2 HDDs, kind of obvious) was to use winhex raw copy or WinHIIP. In either case don't ever analyze or modify the drives. Just do a pure copy and nothing more. =P
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

What is "init the drive"? Format it?
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
andgos
Please Continue...
eBay: andrgosa-8
Initials: AGO

Re: HDD problems with Taiko no Tatsujin 12 (Taiko Drum Master)

Post by andgos »

Hi i also have Taiko 12 but now stuck at boot 00, do you guys have any idea how to fix this? thanks