Ps2 Controller Ports for System 246/256?

PCB problems and fixes
subbie
Please Continue...

Ps2 Controller Ports for System 246/256?

Post by subbie »

Hey, I was surfing around the net and came across this picture.

Is there a Ps2 controller add on for Sys246/256? If so, are they compatible on all games or just tekken? And how common are they to find?
Namco System 246/256/357 Software List
******** Help Fill in the blanks *******
http://www.smalllinks.com/P60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NeoD
Please Continue...
Initials: AGP

Re: Ps2 Controller Ports for System 246/256?

Post by NeoD »

I think you could plug in your PS2 pads into Certain Tekken 4 arcade machines, other than that i dont think they had any other purpose.
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

NeoD wrote:I think you could plug in your PS2 pads into Certain Tekken 4 arcade machines, other than that i dont think they had any other purpose.
You mean in the sent that you could only use it on tekken 4 or just that it was simply so you could play with a ps2 controller then the arcade sticks?
ReplicaX
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Post by ReplicaX »

subbie wrote:
NeoD wrote:I think you could plug in your PS2 pads into Certain Tekken 4 arcade machines, other than that i dont think they had any other purpose.
You mean in the sent that you could only use it on tekken 4 or just that it was simply so you could play with a ps2 controller then the arcade sticks?
The Tekken 4 machines had the PS2 ports on the control panel so ppl could plugin their controller instead of using a stick. It was most likely that way for Tekken 5 as well. I haven't seen it used on other titles though, but that is only my experience from certain arcades.
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Vewlix L AMI | Medieval Madness RE
Arcade Tech since 1994
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

ReplicaX wrote:
subbie wrote:
The Tekken 4 machines had the PS2 ports on the control panel so ppl could plugin their controller instead of using a stick. It was most likely that way for Tekken 5 as well. I haven't seen it used on other titles though, but that is only my experience from certain arcades.
Makes sense but does anybody have any info on the wiring of this and what it pluged into. Was it a special PCB, did it plug into a port on the Sys246/256?
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Anybody have any info?

I have a Sys256 that will be here in 1-2 week and I would love to use this on my Sys246 if possible (so I won't have to build a partial supergun, will just need a JVS PSU).
:awe:
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Ok I talked to a person on a SC forum and found a few things out (which I tested my self).

If you have a 246 board. You can plug a PS1/PS2 controller straight in and it should work but it looks to be software dependent. With a PS1/2 (I tried both), I could control and configure the System 246 software menu for the two games I have on hand (T4 & SC2). On the software front, the controller worked like a charm in SC2. I had no problem playing a few matches on either P1 or P2 ports. Yet for Tekken 4 the controller was not responsive (The analog light would light up but no button functioned in game).

Can anybody who actually has Tekken 4 verify if they could play with a PS2 controller and what revision they own? Maybe certain revisions are compatible and some are not? My version is TEF2 Ver.C (There is a TEF1,2&3 of misc revs).

Next week I have a huge collection of Gundam games making their way to me. I will give them all a test to see if/what ones are compatible.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

So there's a couple of PS2 controller ports on the System 246? When you get your 256 let me know if it's the same case, i'll update the wiki :)
all your wiki pages belong to me
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

davewellington wrote:So there's a couple of PS2 controller ports on the System 246? When you get your 256 let me know if it's the same case, i'll update the wiki :)
Yeah. System 246 Rev A & Rev B have two controller ports under the memory card slots (The whole piece is taken straight out of a PS2, much like the main board =P).

System 246 Rev C I don't know/remember (can't find any on yahoo to check against).

256 as far as I can tell have no PS2 controller ports on them but I'm guessing there is an adapter (see picture at top of topic). I'll have to fully see when I get mine in next week. =)
subbie
Please Continue...

Post by subbie »

Well I got my 256 in and no there isn't a PS2 controller port (as expected).

I emailed off to the email in the picture I posted to see if he has any info.

To go out on a limb, I'm currently theorizing that the white plug port to the right of the memory card is possibly where maybe a custom controller harness will plug in (like pictured in my first post). The reason I believe that at the moment is the memory card ports are on a daughter board inside the unit. The white port is also on that board.

I'm going to take apart my 256 later tonight and take pictures of all of the internals.

--edit--
I forgot to add. I asked someone to try using a PS2 controller on Basara X. Sadly he told me that it did not work. If none of my gundam games work either, I'm going to assume all Capcom games do not support the use of the PS controller ports. =/
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Sounds like Naomi. You can hook up DC controllers and such, but mostly only Capcom bothered to add control support to their games. Other games that use the ports (Typing of the Dead and Lupin: the Typing for example), don't do it for special features or cross platform capability but rather because it's the only way to support keyboards