Taito Type X troubleshooting

PCB problems and fixes
invzim
eBay: prrole

Taito Type X troubleshooting

Post by invzim »

I'm having some booting issues, and not sure what to suspect - mostly because of lack of knowledge about the platform.

Can you boot normal WinXP installation, that is, formatted and installed on a normal PC, on a Type X? I know I can't, but don't know if it's the system, or if it's supposed to be like that. I get a "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Re: Taito Type X troubleshooting

Post by mufunyo »

There is some mystery surrounding that. I haven't been able to get anything other than original disks to boot, even dd copies of original disks don't work. I have however heard that with some commercial disk cloning app (I forgot the name) it is possible to get a backup to boot. Sometimes I've had an original disk not boot, it generally worked for me to take the disk out, connect it to my desktop PC, run chkdsk and defrag, safely unmount it, sacrifice a rubber chicken and then try again.

Don't think about entering the BIOS to change boot settings, there is a BIOS password that gets set even when you clear the CMOS, and I don't know of anyone who knows it (other than Taitotech probably). I've dumped the CMOS image and let all the BIOS password recovery apps I know loose on it, but couldn't find anything.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

mufunyo wrote:There is some mystery surrounding that. I haven't been able to get anything other than original disks to boot, even dd copies of original disks don't work. I have however heard that with some commercial disk cloning app (I forgot the name) it is possible to get a backup to boot. Sometimes I've had an original disk not boot, it generally worked for me to take the disk out, connect it to my desktop PC, run chkdsk and defrag, safely unmount it, sacrifice a rubber chicken and then try again.
Thanks - then all is probably is good, it looks so much like a PC in every way I got worried when it didn't boot my normal XP install.
Don't think about entering the BIOS to change boot settings, there is a BIOS password that gets set even when you clear the CMOS, and I don't know of anyone who knows it (other than Taitotech probably). I've dumped the CMOS image and let all the BIOS password recovery apps I know loose on it, but couldn't find anything.
Of course I thought it :), CMOS was cleared and battery removed as one of the first troubleshooting steps.

For the curious, I took a picture of it without battery that shows the bios:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Taito_Type_X
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

These are default passwords for AWARD bios's

AWARD SW, AWARD_SW, Award SW, AWARD PW, _award, awkward, J64, j256, j262, j332, j322, 01322222, 589589, 589721, 595595,
598598, HLT, SER, SKY_FOX, aLLy, aLLY, Condo, CONCAT, TTPTHA, aPAf, HLT, KDD, ZBAAACA, ZAAADA, ZJAAADC, djonet

Or try a bios password recovery tool - it is just a PC so should be hackable.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

penrhos wrote:Or try a bios password recovery tool - it is just a PC so should be hackable.
:roll:

Knock yourself out:

http://hotfile.com/dl/47348844/a9c1277/ ... s.zip.html"
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Some more for you to try. ;)
Award BIOS Backdoor Passwords:

* (eight spaces)
* ALFAROME
* ALLY
* ALLy
* aLLY
* aLLy
* aPAf
* award
* AWARD PW
* AWARD SW
* AWARD?SW
* AWARD_PW
* AWARD_SW
* AWKWARD
* awkward
* IOSTAR
* CONCAT
* CONDO
* Condo
* condo
* d8on
* djonet
* HLT
* J256
* J262
* j262
* j322
* j332
* J64
* KDD
* LKWPETER
* Lkwpeter
* PINT
* pint
* SER
* SKY_FOXSYXZ
* SKY_FOX
* syxz
* SYXZ
* TTPTHA
* ZAAAADA
* ZAAADA
* ZBAAACA
* ZJAAADC
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass ... -password/"
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Post by JAMMArob »

defor
Please Continue...
eBay: rayusama
Initials: DEF

Post by defor »

invzim wrote:I'm having some booting issues, and not sure what to suspect - mostly because of lack of knowledge about the platform.

Can you boot normal WinXP installation, that is, formatted and installed on a normal PC, on a Type X? I know I can't, but don't know if it's the system, or if it's supposed to be like that. I get a "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".
Sorry to drudge up an old topic, but while I wait for some legit games, I figured I'd poke around on the system.
The usb dongle keys also apparently contain the boot loader, formatted in USB floppy emulation mode.
The bios is apparently limited to ONLY boot from usb floppy devices.

As such, you can actually kickstart an XP install from a usb floppy drive (using the XP floppy images):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994"

After the install is complete, a boot manager floppy should allow one to boot off the installed disk.. I guess I'll be testing now.
defor
Please Continue...
eBay: rayusama
Initials: DEF

Post by defor »

There's a watchdog timer in the IO board, once you have the system booting off your XP floppies (or cd via boot floppy), just pull the cable that connects to the power button header so it can't restart the system if it doesn't get a serial data pulse within the allotted time.
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

mufunyo wrote:
penrhos wrote:Or try a bios password recovery tool - it is just a PC so should be hackable.
:roll:

Knock yourself out:

http://hotfile.com/dl/47348844/a9c1277/ ... s.zip.html"
I am interested by the BIOS file in order to get a better understanding of how the system works, but it has been deleted. Think you could get it back online?

And I get it it is a Type X bios, not a Type X2?
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

http://mir.cr/1FYTJVZ8"

Yes, Type-X 1 (not TX+, not TX2) bios.
Braintrash
Please Continue...

Post by Braintrash »

Thank you very much, you made my day. :mrgreen:
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

invzim wrote:I'm having some booting issues, and not sure what to suspect - mostly because of lack of knowledge about the platform.

Take an original TypeX/X+/X2 HDD

Copy the first 446bytes from the first sector 0, and then inject it into your source HDD, BIOS does a simple boot sector check, nothing complicated.
Say hello to my little friend...
Braintrash
Please Continue...

Post by Braintrash »

andygeezer wrote:

Take an original TypeX/X+/X2 HDD

Copy the first 446bytes from the first sector 0, and then inject it into your source HDD, BIOS does a simple boot sector check, nothing complicated.
Nice trick, thanks!
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

andygeezer wrote:Take an original TypeX/X+/X2 HDD

Ahh, that solves that mystery :D *runs off to bootleg some games* :shifty: :awe:
Braintrash
Please Continue...

Post by Braintrash »

Because you did not already bootleg them all?

Geez, you're late. ;-)
cyrus23

Post by cyrus23 »

Braintrash wrote:Thank you very much, you made my day. :mrgreen:
Hi,
Have you managed to find something with the rom dump?
The 901 error is caused only by the bad date/time from bios. I have chase hq2, king of jurassik and battle gear4 with same problem.

Thank you
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

cyrus23 wrote:
Hi,
The 901 error is caused only by the bad date/time from bios. I have chase hq2, king of jurassik and battle gear4 with same problem.

Thank you
901 is because the CMOS has been reset/cleared. Sadly this will render your games useless because the decryption key was also stored there.

Taito when questioned about it admitted it was a problem, but they said the cr2032 was good for 8-10years.

Amazing how many bg4s I've had to repair due to operators removing the cr2032!
Say hello to my little friend...
Tyranix95
Please Continue...

Post by Tyranix95 »

andygeezer wrote:
cyrus23 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you
901 is because the CMOS has been reset/cleared. Sadly this will render your games useless because the decryption key was also stored there.

Taito when questioned about it admitted it was a problem, but they said the cr2032 was good for 8-10years.

Amazing how many bg4s I've had to repair due to operators removing the cr2032!
Hey andy,

Any other X2 games besides BG4 that hold the decryption key in the bios?

Just curious really (cause I thought most Taito Type boards stored the decryption key in the dongle).
rick101
Please Continue...

Post by rick101 »

hi,

i have a battle gear 4 cpu taito type x. the Hard drive has gone bad. is there anyway to clone a working hdd ? how do you copy the first 446bytes of sector 0? please help

thank you