Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ: Software for english/3 players WTD

PCB problems and fixes
Luigi
Please Continue...
Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ: Software for english/3 players WTD

Post by Luigi »

Hi everybody.

I'm from Germany and I'm running a gameroom in a hall that my mate Dirk bought for his business. By now we have ~45 videocabs (most dedicated) and some pins. I'm gonna give you the link to my gallery if you wish. We had some nice parties with the german (and foreign) arcade friends :)

OK, why am I here?

We have a Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ that stopped working last year: error msg. "Hardware unmatched". I did some searching and a guy from UK told us it might be the RTC battery. It took a while but we could replace the whole thing. But there still was the err msg.

Meanwhile I have bought another HBBC-board from asia that arrived last week. It was a complete System573-unit with CD-ROM, the game-cd inside and the security cart. It runs very well, but it's japanese and two players only. The cab/game we have is english and for three players. I tried to exchange between both systems but it didn't help. Finally I put the new security cart into the old board and attached the CD-ROM to it. After switching DIP4 it booted from the CD and asked if I would like to re-flash the game ROMs. We thought "well, what could happen except we have two japanese games for two players" and flashed the ROMs. Now it works...make a guess....in japanese and for two players only.

Worse: I contacted a guy from the Mame-Dev if there is a CHD available for that system. He told me that if we wouldn't have reporogrammed the gameboard he would have been able to desolder the ROMs from the board and dump the game code....what has never been done before!!! :shock:

So, this part is lost :cry:

But I won't give up. There MUST be a CD in the world to re-install the english version for three players. I contacted the guy again who said it might be the RTC battery. He know people from Konami and he will try to get the proper CD for our cab.

In case he might not be successfull (damn, can it be that hard to find that??)...does anybody have this game or would be able to get such a CD or image??

Would be great!! :)

Thanks for reading....
Luigi
Please Continue...
Re: Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ: Software for english/3 players

Post by Luigi »

OK, I got some more information that I'd like to spread in the forums so if someone gets the same problems he will find the information on the net.

If the RTC (battery) has been replaced and the game still shows "HARDWARE UNMATCHED", all you have to do is press the Service and Test-Button at once while booting. The RTC will be re-initialized. I couldn't try this because we have just over-flashed our board but a member of the Mame-Dev-Team (guru) told me.

I have found (wwot...at the 2nd try :) ) a cd-drive that works with the System 573 mobo and tried to flash Konami 80s Classics onto it. Doesn't seem to work. I can play but it reads all the data from cd what makes it very annoying, because there's always "Please wait" and "Now loading". Guru said the re-flash should can be forced (again) by pressing both buttons while powering the system...doesn't work.

Well, now you know a little more and I hope this helps to prevend people from "wrecking" their games!!
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

Argh, System 573 and thr dreaded RTC failures { Yeah, once it's replaced you can usually force a reset of the RTC (depends on game as to how - some do it automatically).

I'm not familiar with Hyper Bishi Bashi Championship specifically, but it sounds to me like the security cassette from the original (3-Player English) may have become corrupt, so I don't think you'll be able to run the game without a replacement security cassette - be thankful that it isn't one of the later System 573 games that ties the game to the motherboard it was installed on (as is the case with most of the Bemani games e.g. DanceDance Revolution).

Do you still have the game disk for the original version? Does it contain a file named something like HYPERxx.DAT that is 16KB in size? If it does, and you can rip the CD to an ISO I *might* be able to make you a disk that forces a re-install of the game onto the flash ROMs (I can do this easily with DDR mixes, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with other System 573 games, so long as the CD contains the flash data), but even if it does work, that won't solve your security cassette problem, sadly. You'd also need the original CD to play, the disk I can make would only be to re-flash.

System 573 is quite temperamental with CD-Rom drives as you've noticed. Panasonic/Matsushita CR5xx drives and SR8xxx DVD-Rom drives seem to work, and I've heard good things about Lite-On CD-Roms, but it really is a case of trial and error :{

Finally, don't forget about Dip switch 4 - this often switches the 573 from booting from CD into booting from Flash ROM - it might help your Konami 80s classics problem.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

Thanks for your reply :)

Our original game has never had a CD-drive nor was there a CD inside.

It looks completey different (from outside) than the other board I got:

http://www.thludwig.de/arcade/galerie/g ... inside.jpg"

There is no CD installed underneath that big label.

I am sure that our sec.cart is ok, all that's missing is the CD to re-flash the game. If I could find a person who has the same version and who is willing to ship his board to Guru from the Mame-Team, he could dump the game code and make an image-file to burn the CD....

As for the 80's Classics...I already tried DIP4 OFF and ON....no difference in behaviour.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Thanks for sharing the picture - I've never seen inside an English language version before. That's quite a cut-down system 573 board, and it's strange to see the security cassette physically inside the case!

That's a shame it has no CD, it would have been by far the simplest way to get a copy of the ROM data (there are other System 573 games that need physically dumping as the data is not on a CD - the original Dancing Stage (EU version) comes to mind).

Unfortunately, I don't recall ever seeing anyone post with an English version board on here before - all I've seen is a couple of Japanese 2-player boards change hands in the past (one with a control panel, too!).

In fact, the only English language 3 player version I've seen still out in the wild is in London Trocadero, all the rest have been gone for years. :{
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

It's just the case that is different...the board is exactly the same.

I know a person, also in Germany, who owns such a Hyper BB...but I'm afraid he wouldn't send his board so the Flash-ROMs can be removed and dumped :(

I mailed to Konami.....I wonÄt give up that fast :)
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

BUMP

Konami doesn't care that the machine isn't running the original game.....shame on you!!! :x

Still searching for a way to re-flash the game to our board....
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Luigi wrote:BUMP

Konami doesn't care that the machine isn't running the original game.....shame on you!!! :x

Still searching for a way to re-flash the game to our board....
WTF are you talking about? for a game this old, that's EXCELLENT customer service.

I can see Konami coming after someone for region breaching when a game is freshly out the door.

Konami, just gave you permission to bootleg the japanese version of their software to repair your machine.

And you're going to cry? I understand that its not in English, but they SERIOUSLY just opened the door for you. Not saying go for it, but don't complain about what you just got.
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

Permission?? Bootleg??

What the heck are YOU talking about?

All I received from Konami was "We are sorry but we cannot help you"

I bought a used System573-board with the japanese 2-player-version on a platform like Ebay.

I contacted Konami on several ways and NO ONE told us that all we have to do is press the two buttons behind the coin door to re-initialize the game. "we can not help" was all I got from them.

We have got the original manual and there is nothing about it. A member from the Mame dev team told me that two days after we did the re-flash with the wrong version.

No sir, it's not a bottleg...we've got the original CD and the original Key-cartridge!!
Chi
Fire Extinguisher

Post by Chi »

Luigi wrote:No sir, it's not a bottleg...we've got the original CD and the original Key-cartridge!!
I think you've slightly misunderstood one part of diekatze88's post, he's not inferring you had a bootleg. However, one point he makes is valid - it's an old game (10 years old now), it is not realistic to expect Konami - or more to the point their European distributors - to support it (try getting them to replace a "Dancing Stage EuroMIX" game board from the same year - they won't touch it, though this isn't a problem as there were thousands of those machines).

Since there's no CD in which to do a re-install, your options are extremely limited. Unless you can find someone who has a copy of the game and then get someone to dump the 8 surface-mounted flash memory chips on the board (as you've previously heard, I'm sure there are people connected to the MAME project that would offer to do this), or else find someone with a CD-based version of the game (or a CD-install disk) - which may not even exist - then you can't do anything.

I wish you the best of luck with this, and hope you find someone with the data you need :{
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

You might be right that this game is too old to be furthermore supported by Konami.

But they have once been flashed somewhere and I cannot believe they dumped all the stuff to do that. I'm sure it's still out there and I am trying to find it :)

"Bootleg" sounds to me like I installed a piracy copy on my gameboard. This is simply not true! I now have two boards with the japanese version but due to the fact that the key cartridges is needed to start the game it can only be played on one system at the same time.

I'm also sure that someone at Konami could help in this case but there is no effort to try to find him. They simply say "we cannot help you"....basta!
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

You misunderstand. I'm saying that you have a legal license to the game, and Konami has given you the go ahead to bootleg another version of the same game - to fix your legal copy.

Ahh the hold the Test key while powering the machine - thats a pretty OLD Konami trick. I didn't know it worked on System 573 - I know it works on Konami GX and Hornet.

Of course they can't help you. If I called Konami with *ANY* of my Konami boards (all like 7 of them) they would tell me to go to hell! Its been 10 years since that game came out. At best - If I called Konami of Japan about any of my Parodius games - they would tell me to Buy Otomedius. At best the only answer out of Konami will be "Go buy 'THE<star>Bishi Bashi'"
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P-man
Please Continue...

Post by P-man »

I had a Hyper BB 3 player english pcb in the other day reporting a flash rom error U27... i contacted Guru and was told the same thing, there is no dump of the 3 player version...

It really sucks that you reflashed your pcb, one day another one might turn up...
--
Andrew Welburn
http://www.andys-arcade.com
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

P-man wrote:I had a Hyper BB 3 player english pcb in the other day reporting a flash rom error U27... i contacted Guru and was told the same thing, there is no dump of the 3 player version...

It really sucks that you reflashed your pcb, one day another one might turn up...

Andy, believe me...there's no one on this planet who is more angry about that than me :evil:
mark360mark

Post by mark360mark »

Hi If its not too late!!!
Electrocoin are the uk sales & distributors for Konami, they are releasing a 3 player BB coin op that is going to be released sometime in the near future.
They maybe able to help you with tech issues you may have with codes/parts, Give them a call.
Luigi
Please Continue...

Post by Luigi »

I already contacted Electrocoins two years ago but all they could tell me is that the RTC must be replaced.

Well, this encouraged me to send another Mail to them if something showed up :)
phreak97
Please Continue...
eBay: phreak97
Initials: PHK

Post by phreak97 »

Chi wrote: April 18th, 2010, 5:13 pm Argh, System 573 and thr dreaded RTC failures { Yeah, once it's replaced you can usually force a reset of the RTC (depends on game as to how - some do it automatically).

I'm not familiar with Hyper Bishi Bashi Championship specifically, but it sounds to me like the security cassette from the original (3-Player English) may have become corrupt, so I don't think you'll be able to run the game without a replacement security cassette - be thankful that it isn't one of the later System 573 games that ties the game to the motherboard it was installed on (as is the case with most of the Bemani games e.g. DanceDance Revolution).

Do you still have the game disk for the original version? Does it contain a file named something like HYPERxx.DAT that is 16KB in size? If it does, and you can rip the CD to an ISO I *might* be able to make you a disk that forces a re-install of the game onto the flash ROMs (I can do this easily with DDR mixes, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with other System 573 games, so long as the CD contains the flash data), but even if it does work, that won't solve your security cassette problem, sadly. You'd also need the original CD to play, the disk I can make would only be to re-flash.

System 573 is quite temperamental with CD-Rom drives as you've noticed. Panasonic/Matsushita CR5xx drives and SR8xxx DVD-Rom drives seem to work, and I've heard good things about Lite-On CD-Roms, but it really is a case of trial and error :{

Finally, don't forget about Dip switch 4 - this often switches the 573 from booting from CD into booting from Flash ROM - it might help your Konami 80s classics problem.
Dredging up an old thread here but I’m trying to turn a ddr 573 into a bishibashi champ. I have a bootleg disc image for the japanese version which only supports one player but doesn’t require a security key. The english three player rom set has been dumped now, would you (or anyone) know how to create an english three player cracked disc using the japanese one as a reference?
Luigi
Please Continue...
Re: Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ: Software for english/3 players WTD

Post by Luigi »

Hi.

I cannot tell you how or if it can be done. I've shipped two boards (one working, one not) to a guy called Mr T. Guru in Australia. He was able to recreate the NVRAM from the working board to make a new one for the non worker.

Do you know him? He might be able to tell you what you have to do.
phreak97
Please Continue...
eBay: phreak97
Initials: PHK

Post by phreak97 »

Luigi wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 12:16 pm Hi.

I cannot tell you how or if it can be done. I've shipped two boards (one working, one not) to a guy called Mr T. Guru in Australia. He was able to recreate the NVRAM from the working board to make a new one for the non worker.

Do you know him? He might be able to tell you what you have to do.
I’ve seen his posts and tried to contact him but he doesn’t allow private messaging. If you have a way I can contact him could you send me a message with how?
Thanks
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

phreak97 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 10:40 amI’ve seen his posts and tried to contact him but he doesn’t allow private messaging. If you have a way I can contact him could you send me a message with how?
Thanks
http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1 ... ments.html