Clear naomi requirements up for me

PCB problems and fixes
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Clear naomi requirements up for me

Post by DandySephy »

Okay, so the Naomi hardware requirements are a little confusing to a n00b like me who only knows about jamma and MVS, so I just want to clear this up.

The Full Naomi hardware for a new cab configuration is:
3.3v psu
Sound amplifier
I/O board
Naomi motherboard
wires connecting everything

Connecting to a Jamma cab:
Same as above but with a jamma version of the I/O board. Will require hooking up 4th and 5th buttons to the jamma loom if necessary

Connecting to a Jamma cab for six buttons:
Capcom I/O board (six buttons via cps2 kick harness, takes power from the jamma connector and feeds it to naomi, built in audio amp)
cables
Naomi motherboard

Adding gdrom support requires dimm board, gd-rom drive, cable and game with sec chip. Naomi will run in 15khz via dipswitch, but won't work with all games. Naomi 2 will run naomi carts and grdoms (but gdroms may be slower loading?)

right? I'm considering buying a naomi soon, and need to know exactly what I need as it's confusing me. I'd be installing it into a jamma cab with a cps2 harness.
Flazh

Re: Clear naomi requirements up for me

Post by Flazh »

Even with the Capcom I/O, you really want a separate PSU. That goes double if you are planning to run a GD-ROM setup. If its a Naomi 1 GD setup, then you will have no choice as it simply will not work without the extra power supply.

Make sure you get the correct BIOS for the Naomi to run the games you want. Typically having both the Japanese Rev.G and Export Rev.G BIOS will provide the maximum compatibility, for Naomi 1 systems. For Naomi 2, its the Rev.B BIOSes.
Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Post by Mayhem »

Flazh wrote:Even with the Capcom I/O, you really want a separate PSU. That goes double if you are planning to run a GD-ROM setup. If its a Naomi 1 GD setup, then you will have no choice as it simply will not work without the extra power supply.
Wrong, you just cannot use the Sega official power cable. While the Capcom I/O only allows a limited current to pass through you can easily tap your cabinet's regular power supply to run the GD-ROM as it does not require 3.3 VDC at all.
Once I start I cannot stop myself
Flazh

Post by Flazh »

Ah, but you still don't want to try to power the whole thing through the I/O though right? That's the general feeling I've gotten from people.
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Does it require the specific 3v psu or will a regular 3v cab psu work (I saw one on ebay earlier I think), and what are the problems with using the capcom i/o for power? Will it eventually kill the board or give irregular power?
thebutcherjb

Post by thebutcherjb »

I made some videos on my naomi setup you can check them out here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/thebutcherjb"
Xbox Live & Twitter: TheButcherJB
My YouTube Channel (updated 9/28/2008)